HELP! Car impounded for 30 days!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by WrbImprezaSti
does anyone noe what rear bumper that is?
Dude... save your money and stay in school!!!!! "noe" ahahahahaha
Old 10-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
Unfortunately, there are few guidelines to the Speed Contest law, so it is officer's discretion and that means they can charge you any time you want.
As long as you didn't admit to racing, you can fight it.
You may need a lawyer to help you win though.

You are innocent until proven guilty, so you get to make the officer present his proof you were engaged in a Speed Contest.
You were in a car, you were driving the speed limit, there was another car on the road, very little there.
If the officer saw you both take off at the light, then you have a little problem.
Just point out the obvious, no screeching tires, no breaking of the speed limit, reckless lane changes, and that you didn't even know there was a Jetta near you until the officer mentioned it.

The "I had to pee" excuse won't get you anything really, and since you weren't speeding, there is no point in mentioning being in a hurry as that only implies you were trying to go somewhere faster than normal.

For those watching, if you ever get pulled over and the officer says anything about racing, you had better be on your best behavior and act as innocent as possible.

"Racing? Huh? What car? Was I speeding? No? Why do you think I was racing then? Racing at the speed limit?? What do you mean I have a pretty fast car? How does my car appear fast while going the speed limit? What other guy? Revving my engine? I have a stick, if I don't give it gas before letting out the clutch it will stall. I feel like you are trying to make me look like a criminal for just driving around. That is kinda of spooky. Did I break any laws? What is a speed contest? How could I be in a speed contest driving up to the speed limit? So if there are 4 cars at a red light and it turns green and they all accelerate to the speed limit, they are having a speed contest??
Officer, I'm hesitant to ask you this, but are you on any drugs?"

You get the idea, maybe leave out the last part.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by WrbImprezaSti
does anyone noe what rear bumper that is?

It looks stock to me...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Dude... Save your money and stay in school!!!!! "noe" ahahahahaha
Fixed it for you
Old 10-18-2005, 01:56 PM

Car Info: WREX
I have a bike you can borrow in the meanwhile..........
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mikkyo
Unfortunately, there are few guidelines to the Speed Contest law, so it is officer's discretion and that means they can charge you any time you want.
As long as you didn't admit to racing, you can fight it.
You may need a lawyer to help you win though.

You are innocent until proven guilty, so you get to make the officer present his proof you were engaged in a Speed Contest.
You were in a car, you were driving the speed limit, there was another car on the road, very little there.
If the officer saw you both take off at the light, then you have a little problem.
Just point out the obvious, no screeching tires, no breaking of the speed limit, reckless lane changes, and that you didn't even know there was a Jetta near you until the officer mentioned it.

The "I had to pee" excuse won't get you anything really, and since you weren't speeding, there is no point in mentioning being in a hurry as that only implies you were trying to go somewhere faster than normal.

For those watching, if you ever get pulled over and the officer says anything about racing, you had better be on your best behavior and act as innocent as possible.

"Racing? Huh? What car? Was I speeding? No? Why do you think I was racing then? Racing at the speed limit?? What do you mean I have a pretty fast car? How does my car appear fast while going the speed limit? What other guy? Revving my engine? I have a stick, if I don't give it gas before letting out the clutch it will stall. I feel like you are trying to make me look like a criminal for just driving around. That is kinda of spooky. Did I break any laws? What is a speed contest? How could I be in a speed contest driving up to the speed limit? So if there are 4 cars at a red light and it turns green and they all accelerate to the speed limit, they are having a speed contest??
Officer, I'm hesitant to ask you this, but are you on any drugs?"

You get the idea, maybe leave out the last part.
yeah there were no sort of tire screeching, but he claims that he saw us take off, but arent we suppose to go when the light turns green? i do what everyone would of done, stop when light turns red and go when light turns green.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by unstble
I have a bike you can borrow in the meanwhile..........
naw theres no need. Im already use to walking because the cop made me walk home
Old 10-18-2005, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Had a friend go throught the same thing going 43 in a 35MPH zone and a Honda Crx was next to him, He was pulled over, pulled out of the car searched and then sited for Speed Contest, and they towed his $hit impounded for 30 days. He hired a nice lawyer and still lost the case.. It just doesn't pay to have a STI sometimes
Old 10-18-2005, 03:28 PM

If you plan to fight this then you should get professional advice on how to proceed. If you go to court by yourself, it will be your word against the cop's, and I suspect they will side with the cop.

Speed contest can be written for any speed - even if the "contestants" stay below the speed limit. The "need to pee" etc. won't help.

I don't know any lawyers myself, but you could post a "Need a lawyer" thread or look in Yellow Pages for someone specializing in this field.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
wow, 2 pages and nobody has mentioned www.ticketassassin.com yet?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:09 PM

Car Info: WREX
Originally Posted by JetBlue
naw theres no need. Im already use to walking because the cop made me walk home
Ouch! that must have hurt! Not the walking part, but the watching your car get towed away part...............

I would call the tow yard to go and see where they are keeping it. Sometimes you can ask them to take a little extra car of not scratching it up or anything.

I have seen some tow yards in Newark, california - And they do not care where or how they park the cars they tow.

Not to get you too worried and nervous, but I have seen a couple of cars get towed, and then see the tow drivers cruising in them to the store for a quick pick-up.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:08 PM

Hey, can you post some sort of a bond to get the car out of the impound? I talked to a lawyer and he said that your best bet is to go find some young criminal lawyer who would help you fight this on principle. BE CAREFUL though, because you don't want the lawyer costing you more money than waiting for the car would.

if you've got a clean record, you you can have a local criminal lawyer go talk to the DA for you and say something to the effect of "hey come on let's cut this guy some slack - he wasn't racing and wasn't even cited for speeding. HE's got a clean record and he's being unfairly treated here." blah blah blah

If you can't find anyone, you could try contacting DA yourself and say something similar Problem is that the DA may not be terribly sympathetic. This is a gamble.

Good luck and it sucks to see this kind of bull**** happen. BTW, is your car and STI?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would say that you should fight this for sure, but I'll tell you now, the chances are sooo slim. I believe that a speed contest alone is not a 2pt, but the fines for the impound are soooo high!

Get a lawyer, and see what you can do. This beyond even my ability to help you out, so talk to a lawyer.

-Gagan
Old 10-18-2005, 05:27 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
That sucks to hear dude. Can't you schedule a hearing to see if you can get your car back sooner? Sounds like you have a chance on winning in your situation. That cop was probably either bored, or pissed because his gf wouldn't give him some poontang or something. :thumbsdown: to him.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

Musashi- No i dont have a STI its just a WRX, about the car impounded i was told to get a 10 day hearing session to see if i can get it out asap.

What I've found out was "Speed Contest" was 2 pts on your record, 1 night in jail, and car impounded for 30 days. The cop was all blabbing about how its the "LAW" that he had to tow my car for 30 days and there was no alternative, i dont kno if he forgot to take me to jail or what? if i was really racing (Speed Contest) then isnt it the "LAW" to spend a night in jail also? Im not saying i want to go to jail, but im just wondering if he's even hesistant himself to call it a "Speed Contest" Voilation.

Quick Reply: HELP! Car impounded for 30 days!