Head Unit Install [Stereo]

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Head Unit Install [Stereo]

Ok, so I'm debating on whether to purchase a fellow member's used head unit. I have a 2003 WRX Wagon with stock stereo equipment, i.e. stock speakers, stock 6 cd in-dash double din unit. I am not an audiophile. I mainly want to upgrade head units so that I can connect my iPod without using the tape deck connector thing. In addition to the actual head unit, I was planning on getting a wiring harness (Metra 70-8901) and a single-DIN pocket (Metra 88009000) - looking at about $25-$30 for both the wiring harness and din pocket.

So my question is in regards to installation. While I'm fairly comfortable installing mechanical things, i.e. suspension, exhaust/turbo stuff, brakes, etc., I am a total newbie when it comes to electronics/wiring. I did manage to install my Blitz turbo timer/boost gauge (using those wire crimp/clip connector things), but I am not comfortable soldering anything. How difficult is it to attach the wiring harness to the head unit itself? Are the wires color-coded? I hear that soldering/shrink tube is the best way, but there is no way I'd be able to do that. From what I can see, it seems that there might not be enough space to crimp-clip all of the wires (I think there are about 16 of them in total)? How hard is it to remove/install the actual head unit/din pocket? I wouldn't even know where to start to begin to take apart the center console.

I looked at the Best Buy website, and saw that they charge $50 for a head unit install. Is that a fair price? Do they solder/shrink tube the wires or do they simply crimp using those twisty things? Would they provide a wiring harness with their price or would I still need to supply it? Do other local shops charge less? Does anyone have some experience with this and be willing to do this for me for a small fee?

Thanks guys.
________
LESBIAN EROTIC

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
its super simple to remove the head unit. I think when I did mine it took like 5 mins to get the whole project done. Theres a good wright on Iwsti if I remember correctly.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
Ask Daios a member here, he installed a full system (not just crap setup with deck powering the speakers, i mean amps to power speakers, and separate amp for the sub, dvd deck and everything cleanly done) on all 4 of my vehicles, one of them a subaru. He knows the ins and outs with subarus when it comes to car audio (i think with most stuff)

and his prices are the best.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Car Info: .
Solder is the way to go. Its not hard, just practice. Get a Subaru wiring harness and solder those wires to the head unit's wires. Match the correct wires on the Subaru harness to the ones on the head unit. After that it is plug n play. Don't waste money on having someone do it for you, its really easy.

Don't go to BB, they'll hack everything together.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
installs on Subies are super easy. Havent had my Suby in like 4 years and still remember lolz
Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by eugenile
Ask Daios a member here, he installed a full system (not just crap setup with deck powering the speakers, i mean amps to power speakers, and separate amp for the sub, dvd deck and everything cleanly done) on all 4 of my vehicles, one of them a subaru. He knows the ins and outs with subarus when it comes to car audio (i think with most stuff)

and his prices are the best.
I can second that. Daios (Eric) knows more than the ins and outs with car audio, he knows the ins and outs of all car electrical. I know he can at least walk you through it.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
soldering is not hard at all. I learned how to in less than 5 fins if that and wubaru wiring is easy as pie. If you go to BB be prepared for a fast 30 mins crap job.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 AM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
yessir Daios did both my cars he's the only person i would allow to touch my car. he also did ave's car and many many other iclubber's cars. he knows mechanics, electrical, and lots more. just shoot him a pm.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
I know who I gonna get to do my deck/sub/amp/speaker install in my A4
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

BB would just use a $30 or so harness to connect your head unit to your car.

if needed another harness to connect your head unit to the first harness.

that way no crimps or soldering is needed and makes for a really clean install.

since the OP has a 2003, removing the front panel takes about 2 minutes. sliding in the headunit to test, another 2.

connecting the harnesses, about a minute.

screwing in the headunit about 5 minutes. longer if the idiot installer looses... er.. misplaces the 6 screws. lol... i never found that last one...

another 5 minutes to make sure head unit works. and that everything lines up before slapping in the dash front panel.

i did a aftermarket head unit swap in the parking lot of my job once... i managed to loose 2 screws that time... long story...

lol...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by rau
I know who I gonna get to do my deck/sub/amp/speaker install in my A4
Me too, I got a fat roll of sound deadening and some components sitting around. I just need rear speakers and one more amp. w00t.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
You'll be fine with just using the harness and some vampire clips. No need to solder.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
DO NOT USE VAMPIRE CLIPS! GET THE PROPER HARNESS ADAPTERS! (Deck side and Subaru side)

I'm not an electrical guy, but do most of my own mechanical work. A headunit swap is really easy; less work than installing a silicone Y-pipe. Soldering is not necessary, it's just one of those geeky things that enthusiasts like to do. I soldered my harnesses and used heatshrink just to make me feel better and tell people I soldered my stereo harness. I think properly crimped butt connectors are mechanically stronger than soldered wires. It's better if you have a ratcheting crimper, but okay if you have big strong hands, lol.

When you buy the used stereo deck, make sure the guy includes the wiring harness on the deck side. If it's used, could you talk him into including the wiring harness on the Subaru side, too? Otherwise, you'll need the Subaru adapter harness, something like this.

There are 13 wires on the Subaru side while the deck side could have a few more, depending on deck features. It's pretty obvious as you just match up the colors/patterns on the wires and crimp them together. Check the wiring diagrams just to make sure the colors are representing the same thing. You can do that in your living room while watching NCIS or whatever.

When you have the harness done, go out to the car and swap out the decks. Harness crimping takes maybe 20 minutes and changing decks maybe 5 minutes. I can help you out with some pointers if you're local, but you can do your own work and take pride in it.

I recently installed this unit, so it's still fresh in my mind.

Last edited by CharT; 10-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
its super easy, i or someone in this forum will be happy to help you.

just buy car side harness, pocket and thats it.

tools you need:
screw driver
soldering iron/solder/tape OR crimper and connectors, i recommend "snow caps"
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. So, do I need 2 wiring harnesses, car-side and deck-side? Or, do I just need the car-side harness? Is the factory stereo just "plugged in" via a harness? If I just attach the car-side wiring harness to the aftermarket unit, will I just be able to "plug" it into the car?
________
GAY ORGY

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Install [Stereo]