Have a hookup purchasing weights (dumbbells particularly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Have a hookup purchasing weights (dumbbells particularly?

Lookin' for a dumbbell set. Not sure about having a rack (but probably would do some great organizing good). I want hexagonal ones so they don't roll around when I put them on the floor.

Lookin for weights from 5-50. Not too sure if I want the inbetweens (ie 7.5, 12.5, 17.5) or do you people with dumbbell sets recommend them?

If you have a dumbbell set, what was the price you paid, or what price do you think I'm lookin to land in between? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Glad you brought this up, ive been thinking of the same thing lately.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM

I've been researching, and the best thing that I've landed upon is...

http://www.powerblock.com/blocks.html

It's amazing the customizations you can have from 2.5lb increments all the way up to 130lbs(if you are lifting this you sure as hell are too buff for the police academy!) for each dumbbell.

The best one I'm consider going for is the "elite 50"... listed here (great comparison data!)
http://www.powerblock.com/specs.html

After reading up and looking around, the amount of money saved (compared to regular dumbbells) is stupidly amazing. Regular dumbbells go all the way up to 90lbs (paired of course) is around 2500 bux. But with the powerblock elite 90, it's only 500-600 bux. Plus the stand (which I'm sure you'd get anywho, might as well invest in keeping your powerblocks safe/attached and not on the floor). I'm lookin' at the elite 50 (i'm not a huge guy) then add on the elite 90 if I ever get ripped out enough.

I'm lookin' to pair this with the p90x workout program, so I was lookin' for dumbbells (because you need them in the program, along with a pullup bar that I already have) I figure the elite 50 will do me fine and I can upgrade it later (I wanted to look for ones with an upgrade because I didn't want to max out... and have to sell and rebuy a bigger set).

Expensive things, but definitely worth the investment. I've only read great reviews about the product, along with looking @ videos on youtube, and the comments are all positive from people who have bought the weights.

Demonstration video:
http://www.powerblock.com/video/Powe..._01b_video.swf
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM

iLogin ive been doing p90x and let me tell you, it kicks your ***!! Its definatly a great work out program.

I think im going to pick up a set of dumbells soon, the 50s should be good. I can always upgrade later when im Arnold
Old 11-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by flatline
iLogin ive been doing p90x and let me tell you, it kicks your ***!! Its definatly a great work out program.

I think im going to pick up a set of dumbells soon, the 50s should be good. I can always upgrade later when im Arnold
ooo, got a legit DVD burner? That **** is liek 120 bux for the 12 exercise workout set! I'll pay you 60 bux if you can burn all the DVDs so I can buy 'em. LoL
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
You don't "need" dumbells for P90X, although they would be nice to have. You can get by with the resistance bands if you're tight on cash.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
You don't "need" dumbells for P90X, although they would be nice to have. You can get by with the resistance bands if you're tight on cash.
Might as well get the dumbbells IMO. Lotsa of other uses with them. I guess you could say with the same with resistant bands, but I never really trust the bands, and the bands are not weighted all the way through. The bands are like Bowflex's first design. The maximum resistance is at the peak of flexing, but during the flex it goes up.

EG 10lbs low 25lbs high

where as weights is 25lbs all the way through from start to finish.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:51 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Might as well get the dumbbells IMO. Lotsa of other uses with them. I guess you could say with the same with resistant bands, but I never really trust the bands, and the bands are not weighted all the way through. The bands are like Bowflex's first design. The maximum resistance is at the peak of flexing, but during the flex it goes up.

EG 10lbs low 25lbs high

where as weights is 25lbs all the way through from start to finish.
This is true, which is why I would prefer a dumbell set, but the resistance bands to get the job done. I've Been using the so far into week 5 of the Power 90 routine (not P90x yet) and they've gotten the job done.

If you have the money, dumbells all the way, otherwise the resistance bands will get you by. Or you can alternate between the two to change it up.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
This is true, which is why I would prefer a dumbell set, but the resistance bands to get the job done. I've Been using the so far into week 5 of the Power 90 routine (not P90x yet) and they've gotten the job done.

If you have the money, dumbells all the way, otherwise the resistance bands will get you by. Or you can alternate between the two to change it up.
Good information for anyone looking into dumbbells for the p90/p90x/elite/extreme/whatever lol.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 PM

lol

p9ox is no joke.....I thought i was fit...and this program handled me... i quit... lol
Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by stylin525
p9ox is no joke.....I thought i was fit...and this program handled me... i quit... lol
Yea, if you can stick to the program there are some insane changes. Obviously I'm lookin' for a lifestyle change =D.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:15 PM

no burner here iLogin pm me
Old 11-21-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by flatline
no burner here iLogin pm me
sent
Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
You can't find a better selection of dumbbells than in the United States Congress,although the California Legislature is a close second and is a much shorter drive.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Looking for a smith rack and bars and weights.

Anyone know a great place to pick one up in the bay, new or used?

Quick Reply: Have a hookup purchasing weights (dumbbells particularly?