Gym Members!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
bench, squat, curl, abs... followed by a half hour of elliptical or stationary rowing... 2-3x a week

i'm not out to get big, just trying to maintain my weight and waist size so i don't have to buy new clothes all the time. i weighed 183 when i left college, got down to about 153 a year after that, back up to high 150s.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
my weight fluctuates like no other.

last week i was at 173 and today i weighed in at 162.5

im pretty light for my height: 5 10 so i want to put on some muscle. i eat everything i see. dont show me food at meets or i'll eat it. =p
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
Originally Posted by wocabin
how much are those home program dvd's

do you take supplements?
i need some more whey protein. just ran out...

i think the set goes for like $170 but i just downloaded the torrent for free 99 :P

I think p90x is great just cause you don't really need much to do it and it keeps on on track for those who need to be guided. Everyone who has finished the full 90 day program has had great results. I was skeptical at first and then we did a few exercises in my fire academy and i decided to give it a shot.

It is a very well rounded program. The plyometrics is great and the yoga sucks, i am not flexible at all and it's probably the hardest workout for me.

I try not to take supplements but I will take cytogainer for days when I push my self hard, usually on back/bi/tri days. A supplement is just that, if you're able to have a good diet you won't need it, but on days when I haven't had time to cook anything and need a quick meal ill make a quick shake.

I'm 5'10 164lbs and I used to want to get a lot bigger but i realized i'm pretty strong as it is for my size and rather just work on burning fat, growing lean muscle and working on cardio.

Crossfit is awesome also, I used to do that a lot but p90x works better for me right now.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by wocabin
my weight fluctuates like no other.

last week i was at 173 and today i weighed in at 162.5

im pretty light for my height: 5 10 so i want to put on some muscle. i eat everything i see. dont show me food at meets or i'll eat it. =p
i'm no nutrition expert, but i've picked up a few things. If you are trying to gain weight eat ALL THE time. you can eat smaller portions but make sure you eat every couple of hours and eat healthy. eat your meats but dont forget the other food groups.

Also if you want to lose weight eat a lot of smaller portions also, it's a lot about timing. keep snacks around so you can keep your hunger down throughout the day instead of not eating anything for awhile and then going to in n out and eating a double double animal style fries and a shake just cause youre so hungry.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 2006 2.5i
Originally Posted by MrMakesItRain
i'm no nutrition expert, but i've picked up a few things. If you are trying to gain weight eat ALL THE time. you can eat smaller portions but make sure you eat every couple of hours and eat healthy. eat your meats but dont forget the other food groups.

Also if you want to lose weight eat a lot of smaller portions also, it's a lot about timing. keep snacks around so you can keep your hunger down throughout the day instead of not eating anything for awhile and then going to in n out and eating a double double animal style fries and a shake just cause youre so hungry.
That's correct! Keep your metabolism working, keep your insulin levels down and make sure you body always has what it needs so that it doesn't store it up for a rainy day in the form of body fat. It doesn't have to be a strict diet, just sensible.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM

yea i think i have a problem with my diet.

i eat steak for breakfast
half liter of milk and a bagel for brunch
turkey or chicken sandwich for lunch
chicken wings/chicken breast/pork for dinner
and salmon for after dinner.

sometimes what i eat for dinner and the 5th meal are switched. but i cant seem to find a place for veggies. its not that i dont like them, i love veggies and fruits but im so full from all the meat that i cant eat anymore... lol
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM

oh and lots of water. i love water
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 PM

snack on fruits and veggies in between meals or incorporate them with your meats. that sounds like a meal plan for champions though haha i wish i could eat like that. steak for breakfast = baller
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Maybe some of you can give me some advice.

I have been working out on and off for the past month, but this week I finally got serious about it. The only way for me to stay focused is for me to stay on track is to go almost every day.

I eat pretty healthy, though I am not a health freak. I rarely eat fast food. No mayo. Wheat bread. Least amount of salt as possible. Vegetables. Fruits. Multivitamin (recently). I RARELY drink soda... I haven't really drank soda since I was about 14.. i don't really like it unless I really need a caffeine burst. etc etc

I'm 6'1". 21 years old.
In HS I was a lanky 140.
Now... I have a belly and I am around 195.

My routine...

I start with a 30 minute run.

On to weights..

I alternate between 2 different "routines":

1. Back/Tri's/Abs
2. Chest/Bi's/Shoulders/Abs

I don't know much about weight lifting, but I wish I knew more. I use the weight machines and do the ones that highlight "the area" I am working on that day. I am sure there are better workouts though...

Anyways.. I think doing some form of workout is better than no workout.

Anything I should be doing differently?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 PM

what are your goals?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
Maybe some of you can give me some advice.

I have been working out on and off for the past month, but this week I finally got serious about it. The only way for me to stay focused is for me to stay on track is to go almost every day.

I eat pretty healthy, though I am not a health freak. I rarely eat fast food. No mayo. Wheat bread. Least amount of salt as possible. Vegetables. Fruits. Multivitamin (recently). I RARELY drink soda... I haven't really drank soda since I was about 14.. i don't really like it unless I really need a caffeine burst. etc etc

I'm 6'1". 21 years old.
In HS I was a lanky 140.
Now... I have a belly and I am around 195.

My routine...

I start with a 30 minute run.

On to weights..

I alternate between 2 different "routines":

1. Back/Tri's/Abs
2. Chest/Bi's/Shoulders/Abs

I don't know much about weight lifting, but I wish I knew more. I use the weight machines and do the ones that highlight "the area" I am working on that day. I am sure there are better workouts though...

Anyways.. I think doing some form of workout is better than no workout.

Anything I should be doing differently?

I'm not expert, but from what I've read on bb.com etc, you might be overworking your muscles plus your split traditionally should be chest/tri back/bi...I have seen workouts like the one your doing, but not that much. Just seems like an awful lot of muscle groups to hit in one day. Instead of doing machines try switching to free weights, you will see better strength come from them. ALSO switch it up every once in awhile. Don't always do the same exact exercises because after a while your muscles get used to a certain routine and you stop gaining as much as you could if you trick your muscles.

just my .02
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MrMakesItRain
what are your goals?
Lose my gut... and... get slightly toned. I am not trying to get super huge right now. I am just trying to get some overall strength and lose the ****ING GUT. haha
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by stealthrex68
I'm not expert, but from what I've read on bb.com etc, you might be overworking your muscles plus your split traditionally should be chest/tri back/bi...I have seen workouts like the one your doing, but not that much. Just seems like an awful lot of muscle groups to hit in one day. Instead of doing machines try switching to free weights, you will see better strength come from them. ALSO switch it up every once in awhile. Don't always do the same exact exercises because after a while your muscles get used to a certain routine and you stop gaining as much as you could if you trick your muscles.

just my .02
Yeah maybe I am doing it wrong.. haha.. idk.

The problem is that I don't know many free weight techniques...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM

^ it really all goes down to what you are training for. for me, im Only concentrating on strength so i dont care how fat i get or chunky, as long as im getting stronger, im a happy guy.

Depending on what you are wanting to improve, your reps (repetitions of exercises) will be different. for body builders, reps tend to be in the high 10-15 range. but for my strength exercises i only go 5 reps.

the machine workouts are a great way to start off but a lot of people tend to stray away from them because they restrict a lot of your muscle movements. so instead of getting built all around per muscle, only the worked out part of the muscle will be improved.

there are a lot of great schedules online. t-nation.com has some great stuff for nutrition and such even though its mainly focused on bodybuilding, i can relate a lot of it to me. but do check out Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

i know its hell of a read, but its really worth it. at least the intro to get the understand of his reasoning.

cardio should be a daily must. even on no-lifting days, keep your cardio up.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 PM

if you wana lose the gut, Run. lol do brazilina jiu jitsu. i seriously lost so much weight from that. too much haha

Quick Reply: Gym Members!