guys, the BAIC section IS off topic...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Haha, ok, BAIC only has about 20,000 more threads/topics and only about double the number of posts.

Forgive me for not looking at the absolute numbers but it feels like there is 50 times more action in here...
FWIW, that speaks exactly to what people are saying about the daily thread being the location of all the OT crap in SRIC. We have far fewer threads in our regional because we have one main thread for sharing OT stuff, and the rest is usually something specific to the area (or one of our flame threads, which are always fun). Also, you're missing the point that Xevious made regarding the numbers. If you look at the numbers, you're right that there are more threads and posts in BAIC, however consider the time frames. I'd say BAIC and SRIC are equally active, if not with an edge to SRIC. Total posts are catchin up quick.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Haha, ok, BAIC only has about 20,000 more threads/topics and only about double the number of posts.

Forgive me for not looking at the absolute numbers but it feels like there is 50 times more action in here...
don't forget the BAIC started roughly 2 years before the SRIC.

11-21-02 compared to 9-20-04 respectively.

yeah.. we are not as active as the BAIC
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
...but, but, the OT is where threads go to die... I don't want BAIC to die!

VIVA LE BAIC!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by wimprezax06
i wish BAIC would be more active than right now. no one really post at the OT thread, because not a lot of people read it. just like our tech thread. when you start a thread there, you have to wait few days to get 1 or 2 reply. same thing with other topics.
Exactly! And that's why we're trying to get more threads in other forums. If people start browsing the other forums on the site, posting tech questions in tech forums, OT in OT forums, etc, more posts will be made in those forums, tech answers will arrive more quickly, etc.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Edit.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
i agree with let us be part. but tibet? lol dont think so haha

sticker doesnt really do anything. just how you feel. lol

IMO BAIC has been like this for a very long time. and most of the thread on BAIC is OT. with out those OT BAIC is going to boring. is already boring enough, look how many new posts per day. take like 10 mins to read all the new post everyday.

i wish BAIC would be more active than right now. no one really post at the OT thread, because not a lot of people read it. just like our tech thread. when you start a thread there, you have to wait few days to get 1 or 2 reply. same thing with other topics.

But what is the cause and effect? It has been my position all along that by going only to where there is the most traffic exacerbates this problem. For example. Say you have a tech question. You decide that a certain tech section is not busy enough for you, so you post in the BAIC, well now thats one less bit of activity in that tech section making is more dead. Now all the people in slower regions come on here and see that the tech section is not busy. Off course they dont bother to check the BAIC since its not their region, and so they dont post. Repeat that problem a few thousand times, and then we have a much bigger problem. Now if instead, everyone in the more active regions went out into the other areas of the site and posted where things belong, those areas become more active. This gives people a reason to start looking in those areas. It gives new readers a reason to become members and start posting. This in turn allows the site to grow. As the site grows, this not only adds to other regions, but the BAIC as well.

So by coming together and all agreeing to do whats best for the site, we all have the power to make it better. Being the most active region, you guys have the power to make a big difference which is all I have ever asked. Help us make this (entire) site really strong again. We are dedicated to doing whatever it takes, but all of you current active members are our biggest asset and we need your help.

I am not asking you to post everything somewhere else, just the stuff that has no regional relevance.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
Originally Posted by nachomc
Exactly! And that's why we're trying to get more threads in other forums. If people start browsing the other forums on the site, posting tech questions in tech forums, OT in OT forums, etc, more posts will be made in those forums, tech answers will arrive more quickly, etc.
agree, but this issue has been around for a quite long time. and way TOO many threads that is OT in our BAIC.

for example: the game tager thread was removed. it was a talk between the BAIC gamers. and there is another thread that is talking about new PHO place in dublin. is that a OT? is not talking about subaru. just plain PHO, then people starts to talk about PHO and different food around there. its OT.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM

i think is just hard to keep OT out side of BAIC. BAIC has been a OT place for a long time.

i agree with the tech forum, people should post more in there. i guess thats a bad example i used.

as for OT, thats what most of the people read from BAIC.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM

and i just took a look at the BAIC thread. just go down the line. which is NOT OT. lol

the first one, AUDT's about street racer. that belong to video thread.

pre-GTR thread. that belongs to the car lounge.

bay area photograhers, i guess is here because only between bay area people.

and help choose a car? that belong to OT.

GTR spotted at the ring. car lounge.

..ETC

what i mean is there are so many threads thats dont belong here. but those are the threads make BAIC interesting, and thats why we are here reading BAIC. with out those. our BAIC post count on the forum will not be 500k.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Staff Member

agree, but this issue has been around for a quite long time. and way TOO many threads that is OT in our BAIC.

for example: the game tager thread was removed. it was a talk between the BAIC gamers. and there is another thread that is talking about new PHO place in dublin. is that a OT? is not talking about subaru. just plain PHO, then people starts to talk about PHO and different food around there. its OT.
There is a difference between BAIC OT and general OT. It has nothing to do with being subaru related. Only prerequisite for BAIC is that it be BA related. So, if i want to talk about Pho places in the the BA, the BAIC is a great place for that discussion. Or maybe I wanted to talk about a concert being held in the Bay area...great. But if I want to talk about Pho recipes, or talk about a band in general, OT would be a better place as these are conversations that anyone regardless of region could rightfully take part in. Again, we are not trying to get it down to just meets or BACI subaru on topic posts, but simply posts or direct relevance to the place they are posted MORE SO than another available section. Also, I understand it has been going on for a long time, but that doesnt make it right. If you look at the site, many areas suffer, and it could be because the most active groups are staying out of the main sections. We can fix this if we all make an effort. If you care for the site as a whole, this should be an easy fix.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
and i just took a look at the BAIC thread. just go down the line. which is NOT OT. lol

..ETC

what i mean is there are so many threads thats dont belong here. but those are the threads make BAIC interesting, and thats why we are here reading BAIC. with out those. our BAIC post count on the forum will not be 500k.
Hey thanks for letting me know. You're totally right. I was so busy reading poop in here I forgot to do my actual duties elsewhere... Don't worry, I'm on top of it.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 04-07-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon

..ETC

One last time in case you missed it before;

I-club is not a club in the traditional sense, it is a privately owned and moderated internet forum where rules are in place in an effort to maintain some degree of civility.

Abuse the forum or ignore the rules and the powers that be will have little choice other than to clamp down and make it less enjoyable for all.

Same goes for stirring **** about the rules or their selective enforcement, enjoy what you've got and try to behave or be prepared to lose that as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Staff Member

Originally Posted by psoper
One last time in case you missed it before;

I-club is not a club in the traditional sense, it is a privately owned and moderated internet forum where rules are in place in an effort to maintain some degree of civility.

Abuse the forum or ignore the rules and the powers that be will have little choice other than to clamp down and make it less enjoyable for all.

Same goes for stirring **** about the rules or their selective enforcement, enjoy what you've got and try to behave or be prepared to lose that as well.
Well put, except that we would like to regain some of the club aspect. We want this to be an internet AND physical community with club events and so on. But otherwise, yes, we have rules in place to try and keep organization and civility as well as help the site/club grow
Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
They are trying to move threads into other sections so us BAICers (which is all iclub is) will move around and start making the rest of the site active. I can understand that... I haven't posted outside of BAIC in like two years...

However, I don't know if that will really work. Once a thread is moved, I highly doubt I will go and view it again. Which will then kill it because I am sure there are others with the same feeling. SO maybe it's best to just settle with the fact that BAIC is really the only active section on this forum and deal with it?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
i like grapes!

KEEP TEH BAY OT!

... plus i dont even know how to navigate the site outside of BAIC.

Quick Reply: guys, the BAIC section IS off topic...