Ground Control/Koni Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 07 STI
Ground Control/Koni Install

I'm trying to install my ground control springs and koni shocks, but im a bit confused on a few things.
How are the ground controls supposed to be seated..do they rest on top on the koni's? because the fitment doesnt seem too great.
Also, are you supposed to take off that zip tie that GC gives you on their spring hats? Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone has any good walk throughs that would make my life a lot easier.

John
Old 09-30-2006, 12:24 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
springs and struts are much like simple shape puzzles. They just fit.

I am guessing that maybe, unless the Konis you got have coil over sized pirches, that you didn't do your home work with Ground Control.
Ground Control does not make a top mount for the stock sized spring, only coil over springs which are designed for a coil over type strut.
The do make custom springs though if you provide measurements and spring rates.

Why don't you show us pics of what you have, and write a little more about what you are confused about.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:56 AM

Sorry, I was pretty tired when I wrote that. I have the ground control coilover conversion kit and I had the springs custom made and was told that they will fit with the koni's, but I'm not really sure how they are supposed to be "seated."
You know with a regular spring/strut the spring will sit in the perch, with this setup it seems like it is supposed to just lay on top of the koni's, but it doesn't look like they will stay put that way.
Thanks for the reply,
John
Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm guessing you have the Konis already inserted in the stock shock housing? So, right now, you should have a koni bolted into a stock housing and the GC coil sleeve?

Okay, first thing I did was try to put the height adjuster (whatever the thing is called that you can adjust the ride height) on the shock, but for me it didn't fit so I took it to a local cheap muffler shop and had the stock spring perches ground down to fit the ground control lower spring perch.

After I had those ground down, it was pretty straight forward. Put the height adjuster on, then put the spring on top of it, put the metal upper spring perch over that, then the stock top hat (or if you bought an aftermarket one) and you should be set. So from bottom to top, shock (with Koni in it and ground down) -> height adjuster -> spring -> upper perch that GC supplied -> stock top hat -> Nut to tighten the assembly which should have come with your Konis.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

Oh yeah, what are the codes on your springs? Something like 300.250.700
Old 09-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the response, I'm a little confused on what you mean by ground down though.
I'm not sure what the codes on the springs are because they are at my friends house who has all of our tools. If it helps though my spring rates are 400F 350R
Also, I have no idea where the black boot from the koni's goes on. The directions werent too great.

Last edited by JRsWRX; 09-30-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
so when you order your ground controls, did you tell them that the set is for WRX? or did you tell them it's for Koni? the correct fitment GC sleeves should fit pretty tight(with the rubber band thingy) on to the strut body. If you told them it's for Koni, they might think it's for some Koni OEM replacement struts (sell by COBB i think?), which might have bigger diameter. I think you could exchange the set still, just call GC and find out. Have your part number ready, so they know if it's the correct setup. You want the fitment for WRX stock housing, you don't have to tell them it's for Koni. Just tell them it's for a 03 WRX (or whatever the year you have.)

also, when installing the Koni stuts on to the OEM housing, you might want to cut off all the OEM lower spring seats while you are doing it. Remember to leave a little bump for the GC sleeve to seat on. That will allow better height adjustments for the GC setup. That is if you want to run Ground Control for sure, which IMHO is a pretty decent setup.

Oh yea, leave the zip tie alone, it is there to keep the spring from falling off of the perch. If money allow, while you are calling GC for support, I would also ask GC for some helper spring options (I am not sure if they have it), to keep the springs always sit in the correct position. That might require some spring rate changes, you could work with GC to see if you could exchange the springs too. Subies are known to lift their rear wheel off the ground while autoxing, I would not feel comfortable if the spring can come loose when the wheel is off the ground.

If you need to call GC, call them quick, I think there is a period of time you could exchange the setup to another setup for free, minus shipping.

Last edited by wm07; 09-30-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM

From doing more research I think I know how it all goes together now, but I'll find out when I go to my friends house and acually do the install. Yes, the springs are made for a WRX, I verified that.
I guess I need to cut off the perches, so I'm gunna go pick up an angle grinder and hopefully get to work soon.
Thanks for the help,
John
Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 AM

Car Info: WREX
Is there a write-up on this somewhere? A write-up with pictures would be perfect!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:10 AM

I found pictures to be of the most help to me. Heres a couple links I saved that helped out a lot. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=koni
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=252447&page=2