View Poll Results: Dual 570GTX or Single 590GTX?
Dual 570GTX
80.00%
Single 590GTX
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Which graphics card

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Which graphics card

So if you were looking to purchase a graphics card(s) and these 2 were your choices (no ati or any other nvidia cards besides these two), which would you prefer? Dual 570GTXs or Single 590GTX, with the 590gtx costing a few dollars more?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
You will get more out of your system running two 570's Vs a single 590. 570s have a higher core clock and shader clock to boot as ill bet your aware of.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
You will get more out of your system running two 570's Vs a single 590. 570s have a higher core clock and shader clock to boot as ill bet your aware of.
If I were to get a single 580 GTX as part of a gaming computer package (I know it's cheaper to build my own rig but I'm not comfortable with it) and I were to buy another 580 gtx in the future from a 3rd party (like from evga or msi), would it be SLI compatible with a factory 580 gtx?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Car Info: On 2 wheels
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
If I were to get a single 580 GTX as part of a gaming computer package (I know it's cheaper to build my own rig but I'm not comfortable with it) and I were to buy another 580 gtx in the future from a 3rd party (like from evga or msi), would it be SLI compatible with a factory 580 gtx?
As long as your mobo is sli ready
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by RayDZ
As long as your mobo is sli ready
ok thanks. Motherboard would be a rampage III extreme
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM

i would contact them and verify that the video card is not a (insert the name of the company your buying from) modded video card. I have an old alienware system, the video cards do not work with any of the nvidia drivers found on Nvidia's website. They only work with the alienware drivers. I contacted the card manufacturer and Alienware and found out the cards have a proprietary alienware firmware. If the company your buying from uses plain Jane vanilla Nvidia cards then you will have no problem using a 3rd party 5800GTX.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
i would contact them and verify that the video card is not a (insert the name of the company your buying from) modded video card. I have an old alienware system, the video cards do not work with any of the nvidia drivers found on Nvidia's website. They only work with the alienware drivers. I contacted the card manufacturer and Alienware and found out the cards have a proprietary alienware firmware. If the company your buying from uses plain Jane vanilla Nvidia cards then you will have no problem using a 3rd party 5800GTX.
Good to know. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Sedan
BTW I understand that you dont want to mess with building a computer BUT I found it alot easier then I thought it would be. Worked right away with about 3 hours of put together time. Hit me up if you have any questions. And like skizz said make sure you contact them and ask a million questions to make sure, if ya do go with a premade system. The #1 reason I built my own system is the upgrade -ability.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Throwdown
BTW I understand that you dont want to mess with building a computer BUT I found it alot easier then I thought it would be. Worked right away with about 3 hours of put together time. Hit me up if you have any questions. And like skizz said make sure you contact them and ask a million questions to make sure, if ya do go with a premade system. The #1 reason I built my own system is the upgrade -ability.
Yah I just want to have peace of mind, because the company I'm looking at has a 3 year warranty built in. Not planning to purchase at this moment, but hopefully somewhere around Christmas time

So regarding the card, should I stick with dual 570 gtx or take a chance with a single 580 gtx and hope that what customer service tells me is correct, that the card will work with a 3rd party 580 gtx card in the future (regarding the drivers and sli capability)?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Yah I just want to have peace of mind, because the company I'm looking at has a 3 year warranty built in. Not planning to purchase at this moment, but hopefully somewhere around Christmas time

So regarding the card, should I stick with dual 570 gtx or take a chance with a single 580 gtx and hope that what customer service tells me is correct, that the card will work with a 3rd party 580 gtx card in the future (regarding the drivers and sli capability)?
IMO i would go with the dual 570's. 570s are great cards they are equal if not better than the previous years top of the line single GPU card. Two of them in SLI is more power than most people need, a single 570 is enough power for most.
What size screen will you be using?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 PM

^ 24 inch

btw I'm looking at my pc to be able to upgrade in the future like 5 years from now (graphics card-wise). Will pci express 3.0 hurt me later on if I were to buy right now?

I already can't upgrade my current card right now because it's pci express x16 and there's no card out there that supports pci express x16 anymore lol

specs I'm looking at buying:

x58 chipset
intel i7 960
rampage III extreme
1200w psu
24gb ddr3

Last edited by TurnWRX; 09-27-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 2005 suby sti
are you talking usb 3.0 cause i understand all of the videos cards right now hook up to pci-e 16x. i just bought two 550gtx ti and hooked them up sli no problem. for sure if you go with 2 570's sli you'll be super satisfied. you'll probally be able to run bf3 with two monitors while watching a movie on tv through your computer with no hicups. lol if your talkin pci-e 2.0 then yeah its just going to allow a bigger buss advantage to process frame rates and all the cards should and will allow both. it looks like the same slot to me
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by trubluevoeater
are you talking usb 3.0 cause i understand all of the videos cards right now hook up to pci-e 16x. i just bought two 550gtx ti and hooked them up sli no problem. for sure if you go with 2 570's sli you'll be super satisfied. you'll probally be able to run bf3 with two monitors while watching a movie on tv through your computer with no hicups. lol if your talkin pci-e 2.0 then yeah its just going to allow a bigger buss advantage to process frame rates and all the cards should and will allow both. it looks like the same slot to me
there's already pci express 2.1 and 3.0 is either out or is coming out soon. Not talking about usb.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM

^ 24 inch

btw I'm looking at my pc to be able to upgrade in the future like 5 years from now (graphics card-wise). Will pci express 3.0 hurt me later on if I were to buy right now?

I already can't upgrade my current card right now because it's pci express x16 and there's no card out there that supports pci express x16 anymore lol

specs I'm looking at buying:

x58 chipset
intel i7 960
rampage III extreme
1200w psu
24gb ddr3
since you say you want to be able to upgrade in 5 years might i suggest you go with a chipset and a processor that is not on its way out. go with a 2600k or a 2500k and the p67 chipset. Dont invest in that old intel socket. 24 Gigs of ram is a bit much too. i have 8 gigs and i have yet to use 75% of my ram and i do video/audio encoding/recoding and i game. Also if all your going to run is a 24in monitor, one 570 would be fine 2 would be killer, but you could use the money else where, like on an SSD for your OS and going with the more current and not on its way out intel socket and pick up a 2500k (i5) or 2600k (i7).
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
^+1 lol you dont need 24gb of ram.

Quick Reply: Which graphics card