Gran Turismo 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Isn't that they new Driving Force GT?
Its the same one samurai posted up. I believe it was released when Prologue came out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by XxSti05xX; 12-03-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
womb one of them has shift lights thats the higher version
The Driving Force GT wheel? I know the G27 has shift lights.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by samurai
Honestly, i'm looking for the wheel without the paddle shifter and there is one with more of a sequential stick shift configuration.
The Driving force GT does have shifter triggers on each side behind the wheel. I find myself using that rather then the sequential shifter.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I found the chaparal 2D last night, $12,000,000. hahahhaha
I have it. 3 speed transmission FTW.

I also did not pay 12M for it...
Old 12-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Cool - I was just looking at one for $133.
Ya I just looked and it seems like I was lucky. Cheapest I found it now is $122
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Frys has them for sale for $99.97

thats where I got mine.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
Frys has them for sale for $99.97

thats where I got mine.
Ya forgot they had them too. Last I checked only frys that had them in stock was in Sac. Unless their online site isnt accurate.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
womb one of them has shift lights thats the higher version
Yeah, I just did some reading on them. There's the G25 and then the updated version, the G27. Those are the "professional racing simulator" type wheels, and the G27 has the tach and shift lights ala Ferrari.

The Driving Force GT is much less expensive, and more of a "gamer" version.

I may have that wrong but that's what I got out of the descriptions.

I also read a lot of reviews and based on some of the useful information in there (as opposed to "I won't even play with the controller" or "The wheel is the only way to play") it sounds like I need to shut up and play with a wheel some time... Hahaha..

I liked the MS wheel for Forza, but I have only used my friend's setup and he never has it anchored to anything, so you spend have your time crashing because the force feedback moved the base instead of providing you a cool driving feel. Definitely not the wheel's fault!

I wish I could rent one or something.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:15 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Well if you were in so cal we have all three versions to try out next to each other

I am honestly happy. I dont need the shift lights they ahve it on the game. I used it for Race 07 / gtr

its a wheel and two pedals. thats all I really need,.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by XxSti05xX
The Driving force GT does have shifter triggers on each side behind the wheel. I find myself using that rather then the sequential shifter.
+1

I got
driving force GT (Me)
driving force Pro (Life plaza)
G25/27 (the heck with you)

all mixed up
Old 12-03-2010, 04:35 PM

Car Info: Aspen White '04 STi Daily: '13 PMM Civic Si
I have heard people say the wheel is the only way to play, or they simply won't play with a controller, etc. Most of these people also argue that paddle shifters are better and such. Those two thoughts contradict each other.

Why, in the world, would a big wheel you turn to "simulate" a driving experience be better or more effective than the controller? Wouldn't the controller where you can granularly control steering and throttle inputs with your fingers be just about the ultimate expression of a more efficient control system?

Personally, I think yes. Also there's the aspect of being able to more precisely control things with your hands/fingers than your legs/feet. I use the triggers for gas and brake, and buttons for things that buttons make sense for. No issues with the controller whatsoever, and no interest in a $300-$500 "controller" that might incrementally make the experience better, but not actually improve game play or performance.

Does anyone think the various wheel setups make you better at the game or allow you to be better at the game? Just curious.
I think its probably mostly a matter of personal preference but personally I feel that the wheel allows me to make more precise adjustments than two sticks. Moving thumb-sticks around is a much less natural action for controlling a car imo, considering we all drive our real cars with a steering wheel.

Force feedback is also a pretty informative feature of wheels. Sure rumble on a controller can give you some indication of car feel, but it's really nothing close to force feedback.

When I am grip driving the controller is fine for the most part, but I feel like when drifting having the wheel is unbeatable.

If controllers were the most effective way to control a car, wouldn't there be cars outfitted with them?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Controllers are good for drifting and ralley

NASCAR controller <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<wheel
Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I have a G25 from the GT4 days. Its definitely a lot more fun with the wheel as the force feedback really helps you feel the tires and the car's rotation. I need to build a new seat for it though

-- Ed
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
Originally Posted by smokey25
Can anyone outline the differences in steering options- Amateur vs Professional vs Simulation?
It's basiclly the sensitivity of the steering. On "Amateur" you'll have to turn the wheel more to turn. You'll notice when playing that you won't be quite as in sync with the animated drivers hands on screen on that setting.

Yeah, I just did some reading on them. There's the G25 and then the updated version, the G27. Those are the "professional racing simulator" type wheels, and the G27 has the tach and shift lights ala Ferrari.

The Driving Force GT is much less expensive, and more of a "gamer" version.

I may have that wrong but that's what I got out of the descriptions.

I also read a lot of reviews and based on some of the useful information in there (as opposed to "I won't even play with the controller" or "The wheel is the only way to play") it sounds like I need to shut up and play with a wheel some time... Hahaha..

I liked the MS wheel for Forza, but I have only used my friend's setup and he never has it anchored to anything, so you spend have your time crashing because the force feedback moved the base instead of providing you a cool driving feel. Definitely not the wheel's fault!

I wish I could rent one or something.

I am playing with the original Logitech Driving force wheel for GT4. While it might not be quite as good as one of the newer wheels, I still think it vastly improves the gaming experience. One big difference, compared to playing with a controller, is the wheel giving you resistance when turning. It's much easier to judge traction at the limit and it's more true to life.

Anchoring the wheel is a must, I hate playing with it on my lap. If you enjoyed playing Forza with a wheel, then you are will like using one for GT5. The wheel has full rotation and the force feedback is much better than the MS wheel. I have both.

Most stores have a 30 day return policy. Just buy one and try it out; if you don't like it, take it back. Or you can just play it at my house!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Well if you were in so cal we have all three versions to try out next to each other

I am honestly happy. I dont need the shift lights they ahve it on the game. I used it for Race 07 / gtr

its a wheel and two pedals. thats all I really need,.
So you have the Driving Force GT then? Yeah, I can't imagine I would even want the clutch pedal and all that anyway.

BTW - I don't have anything against shift paddles at all. I just wonder why the dude here at work who drives an automatic and insists that paddle-shifters and DSG-style transmissions are the only way to go, simply cannot play this game without the "simulation factor" of a fake steering wheel, shifter, clutch gas and brake pedal. In fact I think I even heard something about learning to drive a standard car from this setup...

Quick Reply: Gran Turismo 5