Gran Turismo 4 (threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
AWD cars handled way different in GT3 vs FWD/RWD.

In GT4, it's even more dramatic and it handles to what you would expect to happen.

I love this game. I'm doing the license tests over so I can figure out the physics of this game. It's truly amazing what they've done and I honestly think it was worth the wait.

-GDO
Old 02-23-2005, 03:35 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Initial thoughts....

The graphics are fantastic and the amount of cars and races are staggering. This isn't the kind of game that will be beaten quickly and thrown away. I love how you can transfer the first two licenses and 100,000 credits from your old GT3 save file, though it isn't quite as handy as you might think...GT4 drives a lot different from GT3, so it might be to your advantage to actually earn the lower licenses and start off with a slower car.

GT4 is a lot more "realistic", in that you have to be way more precise and smooth when playing the game. I haven't tried out any RWD cars yet, but understeer in the FWD and AWD cars is way more pronounced, and if you don't adjust your driving style to match you are going to lose a lot of time. All the controls are super sensitive, which makes me think that the Driving Wheel controller might be the way to go...it's much easier to feather the gas and brake when you have actual pedals. It can be frustrating at first, but ultimately is pretty rewarding when you force yourself to drive correctly, instead of just sliding wildly through every corner.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:32 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by method1
GT4 is a lot more "realistic", in that you have to be way more precise and smooth when playing the game. I haven't tried out any RWD cars yet, but understeer in the FWD and AWD cars is way more pronounced, and if you don't adjust your driving style to match you are going to lose a lot of time. All the controls are super sensitive, which makes me think that the Driving Wheel controller might be the way to go...it's much easier to feather the gas and brake when you have actual pedals. It can be frustrating at first, but ultimately is pretty rewarding when you force yourself to drive correctly, instead of just sliding wildly through every corner.

Also, with the 900 degree function, it's probably a lot easier to control the imputs with not only throttle but wheel too. After playing GT3 the understeer from these cars are hard to get used to, since AWD cars handle like any FF car w/ bad suspension in GT3. Well, I'm getting my copy today, and I already have a wheel, so I'll tell you guys how well it works with the wheel later tonight (though I'm sure plenty of people have gotten the 900 degree steering wheel when buy.com had that sale )
Old 02-23-2005, 10:19 AM

I found the 900 degree mode to work better in "professional" mode than in "beginner".

In beginner the damn thing always fought you to return to center. It took me a while to find the option to make it behave normally.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 06' White GDF 18x10 Wrong Fitment Crew #001
Originally Posted by Aegon
I've found cash to be hard to come by in the beginning. $1000 per race doesn't add up quickly.

I'm making some $7500 per race now, but it still doesn't make cash easy to come by.
buy a Subaru and go play the races under Subaru. IIRC it was $10000 or $12000 per game, plus at last u get a special edition GDB that worth hella money.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:46 AM

after playing it all night yesterday, I found it hard to get money as well. I basically used the VW Luo or something like that (the first car they give u after completing the first license) and I could barely win with it. Came in last place a couple times and got $100 in the beginner's event, yippee Come in 1st and u only receive $600.

Anyways, I worked up enough money to buy a 91 Rx-7, put a bunch of goodies (including Nawwzz, btw Nawwzz really helps in the game ) and am beginning to win some races. There's one in particular, in the 1st race of the Japanese Event, I kept cutting corners around the laps and kept on winning $7500, despite my rx-7 to be slightly underpowered to the other cars
Old 02-23-2005, 12:18 PM

You should have 10000 credits when u first start. That should be enough to get a used car like an Fc RX-7 or a type R. I sold the VW Lupo and got me an EVO III.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 PM

I kept the Lupo because I don't sell cars. I was able to win the first series of easy races without much problem which let me buy a turbo. With the turbo you can win the Lupo-only races (if you drive like a demon). That let me buy the skyline. Once you get the skyline, its over.

The B license gives you a crappy lupo. The A license gives you an even worse Pontiac POS. I passed the IB license expecting to use whatever car they give me but I won this crappy Nike futurama car that can't be enetered into races outside the circus. I was so angry that I decided to win a few races with the Lupus.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 02 Turbo Jetta,EVO
Does anyone know how to transfer my GT3 Credits to GT4??
Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 PM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
Yea it tells you when you first put the game in. BTW guys a nice feature is that you can redo a race series and get another prize car.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan
Go to your garage and then the Stat's menu. Push the start button and it will ask you if you really want to transfer files over.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:21 PM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
Originally Posted by Aegon
I found the 900 degree mode to work better in "professional" mode than in "beginner".

In beginner the damn thing always fought you to return to center. It took me a while to find the option to make it behave normally.
I use professional as well, another thing that helps me you may like to try is disabling the crazy drag on the wheel. Hold down Select + R3 + Left Paddle so that the left LED blinks once, not twice; the wheel is a little easier to turn and to me feels more realistic.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
I moved over 100,000 credits from my GT3 save and mobbed around in an STI wagon all night! Woot!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan
Picked out the Spec C in WRB myself.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
anybody have the logitech GT Steering wheel ? how good is it with the game?

Quick Reply: Gran Turismo 4 (threads merged)