Governor signs law banning teen drivers from using cell phones, iPods

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Originally Posted by STi_4_Keri
a lot of teens use their ipods in their car (hooked up with aux to their radio) and it's like texting on a cellphone when you scroll through your ipod to find the next song you want to play...i think that's what they are referring to.
Unfortunately I have experience with how dangerous that can be... I now can do it without even looking
Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5i
Honestly, guys... I got pulled over for SPEEDING on a bicycle a few years ago. There's a wickedly steep hill near my childhood home with a 25mph limit going down it. Natually being 16 I wanted to go way faster than that, apparently 52 was too fast for the cop... Before that statement becomes total flamebait, consider that professionals have hit well into the 60's, 70's, and even higher on bikes while racing downhill. Luckily for me, my defense of "there is no speedometer" was good enough for him to let me slide...
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
What if you do what I do since my cell phone has a full keyboard you need to use two hands to text... so I just drive with my knees! it's much safer! I have gotten it to where i can switch lanes and go around corners with my knees
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Ahh I was worried there for a second even though i'm not a teenager... but they don't mean white people... see by the pictures...

they mean asians!!! *phew*
Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Car Info: The ladies wild
Originally Posted by darkonion
How do you use a laptop and drive at the same time? I guess there is some merit to this legislation. How about doing it to all drivers... I always see some idiot slowing traffic because he is on a cell phone.

Man a laptop? That’s nothing! When I was driving home from SF a couple years ago I saw a woman playing her violin while driving. Now that’s talent!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Bah...I almost got run off the freeway by some lady oblivious to my existance...on her cell phone....course I was on mine too. some can some can't....
Old 09-14-2007, 12:49 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by BLUEJ20
wtf on a bike?first time i hear that
technically, on the books, bicyclist are treated like any motor vehicle on the road.

they must adhere to all laws.

and one law says you cant have both ears covered when on a public road. guess where i learned that of all places...

watching an old CHiPs episode... i kid you not... lol...
Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by ldivinag
technically, on the books, bicyclist are treated like any motor vehicle on the road.

and one law says you cant have both ears covered when on a public road. guess where i learned that of all places...

I used to ride EVERYWHERE....

generally speaking they won't bug you with headphones but I have gotten the lecture from the police before...I used to just get those headphones that wrap around your ear and cut one off. Safer to have an open ear anyways. Course...don't ask me about bicycle safety I quit and got my lisense after I got hit.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by JRsWRX
The fine isn't enough IMO. Also, it says an officer can't pull someone over just for cell phone violation..ghey.
Agreed, jack it up to 150 or more. No one is so important that they need to talk while driving. Furthermore, if it's really important they'll call back.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Shouldn't be allowed to drive if > 18.
Too many deaths.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Too many deaths.
Shouldn't be allowed to post if you don't know the difference between < and >

or do you mean we should all lose our driving privileges when we turn 19?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Too many deaths.

I don't think that driving age is necessarily the deciding factor. I know around here there are kids that have been RACING professionally behind the wheel for YEARS.

I think the problem is the difficulty of our drivers test. Parents decide if they're kids are gonna drive under 18..no sign no lisense.

Our lisense test is way too easy. You should not be allowed to use a "translator" you should be REQUIRED to take an instructional course and you they should focus on real world driving. Things like safely merging onto a highway. Looking before you go. Accident avoidence. Proper maintenance of your vehicle.

etc. Too damn easy to get your lisense.

Shoot I took my test in a manual transmission. Wasn't required to paralel park or merge into any traffic what so ever. The only reason I lost any points at all is cause some *** hat on a bicycle came flying off the curb right in front of me. I should have got bonus points for not killing him. And I didn't look over my head enough time on the 3 point turn...apparently looking over both sides every time you move the wheel isn't enough...

I bet at 16 my little brother could have outdriven most of the people on this site at 18/19/20....

what is really the difference between 18 and 16? Only result would be that there'd be more accidents for people between 18-22.

anyways...too damn easy.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by omygata
Man a laptop? That’s nothing! When I was driving home from SF a couple years ago I saw a woman playing her violin while driving. Now that’s talent!
I almost spit out my drink reading that!!!

It reminded me of a time when I saw a guy playing the friggin' FLUTE in stop and go traffic!!! He had his music notes on the steering wheel and everything.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag

HAHAHAH! Apparently the CHP officer that nabbed me watched a lot of CHiPs! He even aspired to become one.

The highway patrol is the worst when you're the offender, regardless of what you did. They treat you like crap!
They seem cool in real life, but on duty... man, what the hell!? Every city cop I know hates the CHP... Even my police academy instructors...
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by shawnpdillon
Honestly, guys... I got pulled over for SPEEDING on a bicycle a few years ago. There's a wickedly steep hill near my childhood home with a 25mph limit going down it. Natually being 16 I wanted to go way faster than that, apparently 52 was too fast for the cop... Before that statement becomes total flamebait, consider that professionals have hit well into the 60's, 70's, and even higher on bikes while racing downhill. Luckily for me, my defense of "there is no speedometer" was good enough for him to let me slide...
That's pretty damn lame...

With a spedometer on my bike, my friends and I have hit speeds of 45+ mph... We don't have road bikes though, otherwise we could have gone faster... Our bikes are mountain bikes with suspension and wheel/tire mods that make them pretty gnarly, I'm amazed we were able to get to 45mph... But yeah, thats our record for a dirt trail going downhill.

Quick Reply: Governor signs law banning teen drivers from using cell phones, iPods