Got a state ref. ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Unhappy Got a state ref. ticket...

Got a ticket last night, I was pulled over 1 block from my friend's house by a cop. The cop said I did a rolling stop, then another cop showed up a minute later and asked me to pop the hood. He said that my exhaust was probable cause to ask me to show them what I had under the hood. I ALMOST got a "removed catalytic converter" ticket, but good thing I have an STi catless uppipe, because I said, I have a cat and pointed to the uppipe which still looked stock. The cop was a complete moron though, he almost gave me another citation for "modified ignition" until I pointed out that was an HID ballast. :rollseyes: Anyways, I dont feel like removing all my mods and taking it to the state ref. So can I just pay the bail and be done with it? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

i just got a smog ref ticket this morning
Old 09-03-2004, 03:09 PM

I did end up getting the state ref ticket for my intake. "Modified emmisions" is what it says on it. ****ing cops.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Don't be pissed at the cops man, they're doing their jobs.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:14 PM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
Where was this?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by AWD 20T
Don't be pissed at the cops man, they're doing their jobs.

true...but modified exhaust is not probably cause to check the hood. guy got pulled over for a california stop...who hasn't done it..shoot I got the same ticket in santa cruz.
and the cop that asked him to pop the hood didn't hear the exhaust so it wasn't a loud exhaust that gave probably cause..it was the looks of it.

How many trucks do you see on the side of the road because they have 3 to 4 inch chrome exhaust tips? personally in my life...I've never seen one.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by Lurk
Got a ticket last night, I was pulled over 1 block from my friend's house by a cop. The cop said I did a rolling stop, then another cop showed up a minute later and asked me to pop the hood. He said that my exhaust was probable cause to ask me to show them what I had under the hood. I ALMOST got a "removed catalytic converter" ticket, but good thing I have an STi catless uppipe, because I said, I have a cat and pointed to the uppipe which still looked stock. The cop was a complete moron though, he almost gave me another citation for "modified ignition" until I pointed out that was an HID ballast. :rollseyes: Anyways, I dont feel like removing all my mods and taking it to the state ref. So can I just pay the bail and be done with it? Thanks.
where was this?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:21 PM

Yeah, I forgot to mention that they also gave me a DUI test because he "smelled traces of alcohol", and I passed all 3 tests with no problem. These cops were just messing with me. They were irritated that I passed their stupid DUI test and thats why they just had to find something else they can bust my ***** for. This was in Antioch. The cops there are bored and have nothing better to do. I'm actually thinking about filing a complaint against those 2 cops for harassment. They also threatened to arrest my friend for coming out of his house to see what was going on. This all happened in his driveway.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 991.1 GT3 | M2 CS
Angry

dood... sorry to hear that. What part of Antioch was this on?

About 3 weeks ago I got pulled over in Concord coming out the garage from work and a lady cop on a motorcycle was just coming out from the Police station. I was at a stop light making a left when she spotted me for not having front plates and the rest was history. Was asked to pop the hood, wrote me up for my intake and exhaust for emissions, and I had to go to see the referee as well.

Now I'm trying to clear the ticket because it's already been signed off, well guess what. It's not even on their database and have a court date on the 13th. Come to find out that their so far behind on from previous tickets. I just hope the court date gets extended automatically.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:47 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX
Sorry that happened to you. That sucks!. I just got one a few months ago on Hwy 80 in Vallejo. You can just pay the full fine. I'm cheap though. So I brought a good book to read and sat at the Smog Ref for 2 1/2 hours. The fine for a corrected violation was about half of the original fine.

If you decide to go to the Smog Ref, make sure your car is back to stock completely. I was actually failed the first time simply over a Samco intercooler hose. If a part doesn't have a C.A.R.B. #, it won't pass. I think next time, fingers crossed there isn't one, I'll just pay the full fine.

Good luck!

- J
Old 09-03-2004, 07:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
That wierd because there is nothing that says aftermarket hoses are illegal. That's like saying radiator hoses are illegal.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:07 PM

i got one last fall, it was a pain in the *** having to put everything back on and take it to the ref. and yes you do have to take it to the ref and get everything cleared, they sign the back of the pink ticket you have with you now, and give you a certificate showing you passed. All it is, is a regular smog check. I think it's cheaper than regular smog checsk too atleast.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1badrex
Sorry that happened to you. That sucks!. I just got one a few months ago on Hwy 80 in Vallejo. You can just pay the full fine. I'm cheap though. So I brought a good book to read and sat at the Smog Ref for 2 1/2 hours. The fine for a corrected violation was about half of the original fine.

If you decide to go to the Smog Ref, make sure your car is back to stock completely. I was actually failed the first time simply over a Samco intercooler hose. If a part doesn't have a C.A.R.B. #, it won't pass. I think next time, fingers crossed there isn't one, I'll just pay the full fine.

Good luck!

- J
i passed it with my samco hoses on and a nonstock turbo. It's the ion performance turbo though so it might have been hard to tell the difference, it is a lot more shiney though than the stock. I only was at the ref for like 30 min. There was no on else there though and it was at some school, i forgot which one.

Originally Posted by DB8GSR
dood... sorry to hear that. What part of Antioch was this on?

About 3 weeks ago I got pulled over in Concord coming out the garage from work and a lady cop on a motorcycle was just coming out from the Police station. I was at a stop light making a left when she spotted me for not having front plates and the rest was history. Was asked to pop the hood, wrote me up for my intake and exhaust for emissions, and I had to go to see the referee as well.

Now I'm trying to clear the ticket because it's already been signed off, well guess what. It's not even on their database and have a court date on the 13th. Come to find out that their so far behind on from previous tickets. I just hope the court date gets extended automatically.
i bet it's the same chick that pulled me over awhile ago, what a b!tch she was. her partner was cool though who came later, I heard her trying to convince the cop not to give me the ticket or atleast not send me to the ref. That's weird though you got pulled over for the front license plate, none have ever bothered me about it here. Even that lady bike cop didn't seem to care.

They should extend your court date, i'm sure they all get backed up, but the one on willow pass gets really backed up. Mine was extended like another month. I would give them a call, that's how i found out, then a few days later i got my notice.

Last edited by blaznasn; 09-03-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 PM

Car Info: '15 WRX
Well cops on bikes tend to find anything wrong that they can. I dont understand why cops pull over people for random things like exhaust and what not when I see a lot of modified domestics just rumble right by.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
cops are ***s i know there doing there jobs but i mean this is ****ing bull****

-Aaron

Quick Reply: Got a state ref. ticket...