Got a Speeding Ticket... Got some Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Got a Speeding Ticket... Got some Questions.

So I got a Speeding ticket the Other day (80 in a 65).

I am not worried about the ticket, I was speeding, I don't deny that.

However, it was 11:30 at night, EB I-80, in then middle of no where, so there were no lights, it was pitch dark. It was me out front, going 80 and a few cars behind me, also going 80. I see a pair of tail lights flash on the shoulder ahead of me. I then see the reflective lettering "California Highway Patrol" on the trunk. I hit the brakes and end up passing the CHP going 70. At this point I can clearly see him, but he does NOT have ANY lights on. The CHP pulls out on to the highway. Still no lights. He gets behind me and follows me for a few seconds (10-15). Keep in mind that he is between me and the other cars and he still does NOT have his lights on. Then the headlights turn on. He's still behind me for 10-15 seconds with the headlights on, but he's not real close (not reading plates). Then sure enough the reds and blues come on. I pull over, no real conversation, he just takes my license and registration, goes back to his car and writes my ticket. He comes back, gives me my lic. reg. and my ticket for 80 in a 65. I drive away (going 65 or slower).

Also keep in mind that this was in The PedoVan ('95 Ford Aerostar) with no mods whatsoever, just a bunch of stickers (semi offensive, but none against cops).

My friend is trying to tell me that what the cop did was entrapment and that is illegal. Was it entrapment? Would YOU contest the ticket? Why and how?

Cliff notes:

Cop pulled me over in the dark with no lights on.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 05-09-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
I don't see how it could be entrapment?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I don't see how it could be either, but there is some fishy stuff, so that's why I ask.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Yeah probably not entrapment. Maybe if he was tailgating you so close that you felt you had to exceed the speed limit...

What speed were you going while he was following you?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
http://www.helpigotaticket.com/

lots of good info on this site
Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by Pactin
Yeah probably not entrapment. Maybe if he was tailgating you so close that you felt you had to exceed the speed limit...

What speed were you going while he was following you?
I was going 70 (I figured the damage was already done, which it was), and he was not tailgating me.

Originally Posted by NorCalBugEye
http://www.helpigotaticket.com/

lots of good info on this site
reading through that now...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I was going 70 (I figured the damage was already done, which it was), and he was not tailgating me.
Lol, shoulda tried putting it down to 65. Anyways, do you think he had a radar on you? otherwise how would he know you were going 80?

No real chance contesting it unless you can prove that he had no accurate way of tracking your speed. Just get the fine lowered.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

He wrote radar on the ticket. I am assuming that he clocked me before the taillights flashed.

I think (and I have now way to prove this) that he was sitting on the side of the highway, car off, with the radar gun out. gun reads 80, he starts his car, and proceeds to pull me over.

The thing that gets me is that he pulled out into traffic without any lights on. Can he do that?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 05 Mazda 3
So I got a Speeding ticket the Other day (80 in a 65).

I am not worried about the ticket, I was speeding, I don't deny that.

However, it was 11:30 at night, EB I-80, in then middle of no where, so there were no lights, it was pitch dark. It was me out front, going 80 and a few cars behind me, also going 80. I see a pair of tail lights flash on the shoulder ahead of me. I then see the reflective lettering "California Highway Patrol" on the trunk. I hit the brakes and end up passing the CHP going 70. At this point I can clearly see him, but he does NOT have ANY lights on. The CHP pulls out on to the highway. Still no lights. He gets behind me and follows me for a few seconds (10-15). Keep in mind that he is between me and the other cars and he still does NOT have his lights on. Then the headlights turn on. He's still behind me for 10-15 seconds with the headlights on, but he's not real close (not reading plates). Then sure enough the reds and blues come on. I pull over, no real conversation, he just takes my license and registration, goes back to his car and writes my ticket. He comes back, gives me my lic. reg. and my ticket for 80 in a 65. I drive away (going 65 or slower).

Also keep in mind that this was in The PedoVan ('95 Ford Aerostar) with no mods whatsoever, just a bunch of stickers (semi offensive, but none against cops).

My friend is trying to tell me that what the cop did was entrapment and that is illegal. Was it entrapment? Would YOU contest the ticket? Why and how?

Cliff notes:

Cop pulled me over in the dark with no lights on.
fight it
and use helpigotaticket.com

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/entrapment
(law) Action by law enforcement personnel to lead an otherwise innocent person to commit a crime, in order to arrest and prosecute that person for the crime.
A detective asking you to buy marijuana for a dying man would be police entrapment.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:52 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
IIRC, they have to at least have the parking lights on.

look into it.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
IIRC, they have to at least have the parking lights on.

look into it.
I'm searching but I can't seem to find anything.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:13 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Not too sure about entrapment. Although you might be guilty, attempt trial by declaration. May be you will get lucky.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 AM

Car Info: 2012 G37S / Sold 06 WRX
PM one of the LEOs on here, maybe they can help with that.... I believe Flatline is one, I assume he would know for sure
Old 05-10-2009, 02:47 AM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
got pulled over in monterey for speeding and cop was pacing the whole time at night w/o lights. tried to fight it in court with no luck.

moral of the story... dont speed esp. in monterey
Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
He wrote radar on the ticket. I am assuming that he clocked me before the taillights flashed.

I think (and I have now way to prove this) that he was sitting on the side of the highway, car off, with the radar gun out. gun reads 80, he starts his car, and proceeds to pull me over.

The thing that gets me is that he pulled out into traffic without any lights on. Can he do that?
You should have asked to see the gun showing 80.

Quick Reply: Got a Speeding Ticket... Got some Questions.