Got a Ref ticket...:-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by iMPoRT GeeK
Don't get too excited about Diesel Vehicles... Last year NEW law passed. Now there's a SMOG on Diesel Vehicles, 1998 and above with GVW 14,000 pounds or less... Keep that in mind when you mod your diesel vehicle... and its EVERY 2 years, New vehicle or NOT...

Sucks to live in Cali...
correct BUT smog for a diesel is super simple. i did smog mine last year. heres how it played out.

tech opened the hood and checked my smog sticker. it stated my truck has a intercooler,thats it. no cat,no smog pump,nothing but the I/C

he checked for codes then reved it up 2x. to check for smog.

that was it. if my sticker stated i had a cat stock i would need to install one. since there was no test to measure what a diesel produces.

during the test i had the following installed and passed. even with smog its super easy to pass.
-gt38r
-deleted EBV
-airdog fuel system
-HUGE airfilter
-high pressure oil pump modded to maintain 3k + psi at max idle.
-5" straight pipe exhaust,no cat or muffler
-fuel rail cross-over system
Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by nation
correct BUT smog for a diesel is super simple. i did smog mine last year. heres how it played out.

tech opened the hood and checked my smog sticker. it stated my truck has a intercooler,thats it. no cat,no smog pump,nothing but the I/C

he checked for codes then reved it up 2x. to check for smog.

that was it. if my sticker stated i had a cat stock i would need to install one. since there was no test to measure what a diesel produces.

during the test i had the following installed and passed. even with smog its super easy to pass.
-gt38r
-deleted EBV
-airdog fuel system
-HUGE airfilter
-high pressure oil pump modded to maintain 3k + psi at max idle.
-5" straight pipe exhaust,no cat or muffler
-fuel rail cross-over system
I had mine smogged in october, the guy here in Vacaville told me that they really don't know what they are looking for yet. He didn't snap my throttle 2 times like he was supposed to. He did try to give me a little static about my aftermarket lift pump, but they are not even a smog item according to appendix g for BAR. http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...%2012-2009.pdf

The nice thing is he can't see my injectors, I removed the adrenaline chip for the day, he said the EGT probes would probably fail me but he'd let it fly. Basically give me your money and we'll see you in a couple years.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
New diesels with DPF are a pain in the ***; Waste so much fuel burning off the soot. At $4.39, it's expensive to run...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX
anyone have pictures of this legendary rosetti officer?

So I know when I am dead when I finally meet the reaper
Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
REF is done.... Passed smog with flying colors.

Charged me $108 for my sound test for the Borla Hush: 89.6 Db ... my iphone app said 90Db :-) (DB Meter) ... (Can you believe that... charged me $108 because it passed!!... they charge nothing if it fails.)

Going to the courthouse on Monday to get bent over....

Info learned... he was going to fail me for my boost gauge... he said it if was a stock LAMPCO it is okay cuz that is factory. I said it went bad and I replaced it... he said as long as it was spliced in the same area... he said turbo T is... but i think it is the factory BOV line... any one know who has a factory LAMPCO gauge..... well he passed it. He said the reason why Boosta gauges are fails are because they are usually tapped into a vac line that deals with emissions... idk .... that is what he said.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
When I went yup the ref all I paid was 8.25 for the smog certificate..... Then when I went to court I just paid the 10 dismissal fee. I wonder why you got charged 108.......
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

did you have a noise violation for your exhaust? or just modified smog? ... ref said it was code 27151

Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
When I went yup the ref all I paid was 8.25 for the smog certificate..... Then when I went to court I just paid the 10 dismissal fee. I wonder why you got charged 108.......
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
So can you show the paperwork in the future if you get pulled over for exhaust? seems pretty retarded that they charge you that much money if its street legal.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Here is the best part... the ref said........ technically, it is on the cops discretion and he can write you up again and repeat the process.

Oh here is another thing ..... called the courthouse... ticket is not in the system. The cop has 1 yr to turn in that ticket, and once he does it is a 30 day time frame to get it into the system. guy said... if you are lucky... it gets lost.... but i already had it all taken care of.. and now i need to wait.... guy said it will be $75 buck ..... $25 per violation for processing fees. LMAO use to be $10 per ticket..... now it is $25 per violation code.

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
So can you show the paperwork in the future if you get pulled over for exhaust? seems pretty retarded that they charge you that much money if its street legal.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by cueballsi
Here is the best part... the ref said........ technically, it is on the cops discretion and he can write you up again and repeat the process.

Oh here is another thing ..... called the courthouse... ticket is not in the system. The cop has 1 yr to turn in that ticket, and once he does it is a 30 day time frame to get it into the system. guy said... if you are lucky... it gets lost.... but i already had it all taken care of.. and now i need to wait.... guy said it will be $75 buck ..... $25 per violation for processing fees. LMAO use to be $10 per ticket..... now it is $25 per violation code.
*Antoine Dodson voice* That is so dumb.

Honestly I dont see how they can get away ticketing you on street legal equipment especially after you prove to them that its well under the limits.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
did you have a noise violation for your exhaust? or just modified smog? ... ref said it was code 27151
I had both. modified emissions which required them to visually inspect the car and smog test it. they also tested the db limit. the same as you
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM

how long ago was your ticket.... late last year they uped the fees to $25 vs $10 and added the $108.

got to love this broke state

Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
I had both. modified emissions which required them to visually inspect the car and smog test it. they also tested the db limit. the same as you
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM

So I go to court on thursday. What do I plead?>??

27156 (C) - Modified Smog- I have a Ref Smog sheet that everything is good
27516- I have the Sound test
26700 A- Took off the tint and had it signed off

So What DO I DO????
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
*Antoine Dodson voice* That is so dumb.

Honestly I dont see how they can get away ticketing you on street legal equipment especially after you prove to them that its well under the limits.
Here's what they would say:

'The ref's paperwork only proves it was legal at the time of testing.'

...obviously, you could get the ref's proof, then gut all the baffles from the exhaust.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 PM

well i guess what do you think is going to happen for the 27156C code. i have the passed ref sheet... you think they will write it off??? anyone can share their experience???

So I go to court on thursday. What do I plead?>??

27156 (C) - Modified Smog- I have a Ref Smog sheet that everything is good
27516- I have the Sound test
26700 A- Took off the tint and had it signed off

So What DO I DO????

Quick Reply: Got a Ref ticket...:-(