got my car reffed today, failed because turbo timer and boost gauge is illegal

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
Originally Posted by jinorazi
i use my alarm as turbo timer, guessing they'll never notice?
if they shut the car off and it keeps running, they will notice. lol

to OP:

Technically aftermarket boost gauges effect emissions components so there for they are illegal. If you had the stock gauge, then you can show the paperwork proving that it is legal. Same store for the turbo timer.

disregard if you do have stock boost gauge/turbo timer:

you cant try to get the guy fired. referee's are employed by the state and are normally the final answer unless you decide to challenge it in sacramento, it's cheaper just to remove said items and test again and be thankful he didnt get you for more things.

Last edited by CoryTurner; 07-02-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JMack
You guys wasted your money on a "gadget" that is completely unnecessary on a stock or near stock Subaru. Subies use a water and oil cooled turbo and will continue to cool whether the car is running or not. I guess if you like the car running for 1-3 minutes after you take the key out, that is up to you, however it is completely unnecessary unless you are running a different turbo setup that does not have the dual cooling.

Just take them off and sell them to someone who needs it, ie EVO or supra

4 post...ha!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by UP2MTNS
I've been told by a police officer in SF that its illegal to not be in your car when its running. so by whatever goofy rule that is, turbo time is illegal.

but a gauge? wtf?
but the turbo timer doesn't mean you're out of your car, so therefore by that logic alone it can't be illegal.

I was under the impression they were only to be looking at what you got the original ticket for, meaning they can't fail you for stuff the cop didn't write a ticket for.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata
I had my car reffed at Evergreen Valley College in south San Jose and passed with an aftermarket up pipe and a boost, EGT, and oil pressure gauges. I guess it depends on the ref.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by CoryTurner
Technically aftermarket boost gauges effect emissions components so there for they are illegal. If you had the stock gauge, then you can show the paperwork proving that it is legal. Same store for the turbo timer.

Please explain.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
Originally Posted by debbid
I had my car reffed at Evergreen Valley College in south San Jose and passed with an aftermarket up pipe and a boost, EGT, and oil pressure gauges. I guess it depends on the ref.
good for me ....... i will go to Everygreen Valley College also for my smog check next year Thx for letting me know.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi
sacramento ref, told me they are not illegal..... they have no effect on emissions, so they are legal..... now leaving the vehicle while it is running........ thats a diff story...

and JMACK...... Evo's are dual cooled as well......

the reason we dont need a timer, is because our coolant filler box holds coolant at a level higher than the turbo, which allows the hotter coolant to rise away form the turbo...... so i hear

i have an hks timer because it has a engine kill hookup...... no key and e-brake down... car will not run.... added security for sh*t neighborhoods.....
Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX RA Gears tuned by EQ
yeah he said california passed this law two monthes ago and showed me tha documents. it said you cant have boost gauges or turbo timers because if they are connected to ur ecu, they can affect emissions. wow right? so i gotta figure out if my **** is connected to tha computer. if i can show documents that its not connected ill pass. if not, i gotta take it out. the ref was actually cool about it, they said that re-schedule my appt. and after u get it fixed or w/e they will ref my car again for free. so im not complaining about that part. but it's still dumb to me..
Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX RA Gears tuned by EQ
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
but the turbo timer doesn't mean you're out of your car, so therefore by that logic alone it can't be illegal.

I was under the impression they were only to be looking at what you got the original ticket for, meaning they can't fail you for stuff the cop didn't write a ticket for.
so not true. it was like they smogged my car. they did everything. even checked my oil wtf!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
boost gauge hooks up to ecu? is this true, atleast on some aftermarket ones?

i thought it just t-ed into the vaccum line.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Car Info: .
That boost gauge thing is the biggest pile of **** I've ever heard. Electronic boost controller maybe, but a plain old boost gauge, c'mon. How does T'ing into a factory line to get a pressure reading modify anything other than the weight of your wallet?

Once again I'll say it, CARB is a $cam. I hope CA drowns into it's own totalitarian idiocy.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi
your smog ref lied..... i called BAR and the supervisor told me, if the car came with it stock or had th eoption you can put another version on it, as long as it does not change or modify sog equipment/sensors....... call the b.a.r.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 PM

so if I was to go get smogged at a smog testing station (and not a state ref), would i fail if the smog tech sees an aftermarket boost gauge?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
^no!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
i say ... who ever has the smog check coming up for their car. Just take it to local 76 station or other ... they will pass it with flying colors. That's if the DMV already not told u to take it to this state ref or that one.

Quick Reply: got my car reffed today, failed because turbo timer and boost gauge is illegal