Got my 60k service done at Mann...they had some bad news for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
They do good work but it is expensive...there's nothing wrong with letting your customers know what isn't working or on its way out...

mann said my axels needed to be replaced cuz they were leaking...the next week my car was at dbtuned and paul said that they didn't need to be replaced right then and there

So maybe they tell people everything that needs to be replaced in hope they can service it?

Either way, they just let him know, instead of makin him replace it all
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
If a place said they couldn't change my plugs I would NEVER take another vehicle there.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 06 TRD Tacoma
Originally Posted by Volkey
Sooo.... Are we still going to riot and rebel against Mann or am i looking way too far into this? **kicking rocks
My original post was more of a rant about my car and a request for advise. I'm not trying to bash Mann
Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Originally Posted by JooseyJeff
My original post was more of a rant about my car and a request for advise. I'm not trying to bash Mann
alright... I will put my pants back on than
Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Hoofus
If a place said they couldn't change my plugs I would NEVER take another vehicle there.
you've never seen a plug that became one with the block then.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by JooseyJeff
And btw I hate America's Tire Co. They lost my OZ center caps and never owned up to it
mmm. this kind of thing happens. I lost a center cap on my rotas and it wasn't that big a deal to me. plus, it depends on which store you went to and how you approach the situation. hating an entire company for something that happened with one of it's contributors isn't reasonable. that's like saying you hate <insert ethnic diversity or demographic> because you were robbed by someone in a ally by said person. anyways, my 2 off-topic cents.

if you want to get a decent strut that is OEM equiv. for cheap, check out the KYB GR2. I picked up a brand new set, all 4 corners for <$300 from amazon.com.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by slugrx
They do good work but it is expensive...there's nothing wrong with letting your customers know what isn't working or on its way out...

mann said my axels needed to be replaced cuz they were leaking...the next week my car was at dbtuned and paul said that they didn't need to be replaced right then and there

So maybe they tell people everything that needs to be replaced in hope they can service it?

Either way, they just let him know, instead of makin him replace it all
In my case I definitely wasnt told my steering rack was leaking so they could service it. It was pointed out to me and they told me to keep an eye on my PS fluid levels. Tech said it was a slow leak, it may or may not get worse and while not a problem now it could potentially turn into one.

While nerve-wracking to know there could be a problem, I like knowing something's not gonna sneak up and bite me in the butt.

I absolutely appreciated them telling me. They didnt have to spend the extra time, especially since it was late on a Friday afternoon...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
you've never seen a plug that became one with the block then.
Fords with aluminum heads nuff said.

Originally Posted by Volkey
alright... I will put my pants back on thEn
Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by Hoofus
If you look at it from the shops point of view its the smartest thing that can be done. If your pulling out a plug and you feel resistance, then I would screw that right back in. Because lets say tahts spark plug was pulled out and then a new spark plug wont fit in because it was really cross threaded, or the seal is not tight so your losing compression out of there, then the finger is going to point right at Mann Engineering.

Even in court if a car comes into the shop running and going out with a misfire, it's going to be a tough case for him to win.

He did the right thing by not pulling out that spark plug and warning you that the spark plug may be cross threaded, because in order to fix that you're pulling off the head. (A major fix)

It is also his duty to warn you about anything that may need to be replaced. He obviously looked through the car thoroughly on the lift to explain everything in detail. He didnt force you to fix it, and in fact he wouldn't mind having you take it to a different shop.

I have been turned down by him to install a used set of mismatched coilovers on my car. A simple install but liability is too high for him. He is extremely knowledgeable and uses grade A parts for his builds. And obviously holds a good reputation by running his business with these strict standards.

Seriously some people need to stop yapping away like idiots and think about what the correct cautious procedures are for any shop. These mechanics are the ones taking responsibilities for the car as long as it is in the shop and trust me Gary is a stand up guy so if he does happen to mess anything up, he will be the first to pull out what he needs, to fix the mistake. You never know who is trigger happy with suing people.

He might be a tad bit pricey but he does the work thoroughly. So I really dont see anything wrong with what has happened so far.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 06 TRD Tacoma
Screw it, I'm just going to replace everything myself. Might as well take this opportunity to upgrade, I'm gonna splurge on some coilovers.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
ive had mann work on my car before, they are honest and didn't bs me
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by xxchaosbladexx
If you look at it from the shops point of view its the smartest thing that can be done. If your pulling out a plug and you feel resistance, then I would screw that right back in. Because lets say tahts spark plug was pulled out and then a new spark plug wont fit in because it was really cross threaded, or the seal is not tight so your losing compression out of there, then the finger is going to point right at Mann Engineering.

Even in court if a car comes into the shop running and going out with a misfire, it's going to be a tough case for him to win.

He did the right thing by not pulling out that spark plug and warning you that the spark plug may be cross threaded, because in order to fix that you're pulling off the head. (A major fix)

It is also his duty to warn you about anything that may need to be replaced. He obviously looked through the car thoroughly on the lift to explain everything in detail. He didnt force you to fix it, and in fact he wouldn't mind having you take it to a different shop.

I have been turned down by him to install a used set of mismatched coilovers on my car. A simple install but liability is too high for him. He is extremely knowledgeable and uses grade A parts for his builds. And obviously holds a good reputation by running his business with these strict standards.

Seriously some people need to stop yapping away like idiots and think about what the correct cautious procedures are for any shop. These mechanics are the ones taking responsibilities for the car as long as it is in the shop and trust me Gary is a stand up guy so if he does happen to mess anything up, he will be the first to pull out what he needs, to fix the mistake. You never know who is trigger happy with suing people.

He might be a tad bit pricey but he does the work thoroughly. So I really dont see anything wrong with what has happened so far.
100% agree.

I said it before, I had it happen on another car of mine too and the dealership said exactly the same thing. Just leave it in there. Let's see: Pull the head to rework or replace it for a few grand (or see if a helicoil or insert will work) or just leave it there at no cost? Which do you think is both more cost effective and will be the choice of the customer 9 times out of 10?

I will keep taking my cars to Mann because while you may pay a little more, how much is it worth to have a shop where it isn't a question of whether or not they are doing it right? I don't mind paying a little more for that.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
I just took my Wrx to Mann for an oil change today. I decided to go there based on the fact that they do tell you other things that are broken or on their way to being broken and normal wear n tear. After my oil change I was called to look at my car on the lift staying at a safe distance of course and was a one on one with the actual tech that did the service. And went over the things that were not at their best. Try to get that kind of attention at a jiffy lube or even the Dealership lol. I was in awe that they took the time,went the extra mile to do this. So good news or bad news...I'm glad to know that these guys are willing to do this for their customers. For those that don't want to hear the bad news and just want to pretend that everything is in perfect working order by all means go to jiffy lube or Stevens creek subaru. These guys just got a new customer as far as I'm concerned.