Got my 60k service done at Mann...they had some bad news for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 06 TRD Tacoma
ShizzDawg and SlugRx pm'd. Damn Shizz, if you can take care of the suspension part of this travesty, that's be awesome
Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
That's nuts. My rack has 193k on it and it's fine.

Good luck with the repairs!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I'm guessing they are building a wheel alignment into the steering rack replacement time.

Personally -all of my Subaru work goes through Auto HQ in Redwood City. Kevin consistently exceeds my expectations. He used to be head tech at Carlson Subaru
Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
i have heard a few stories similar to this one from Mann.. Kinda weird that so many cars that go thru there need a new steering rack

2nd, and 3rd opinion ftw, dont dump all your money into one stock, spread it out and get a second look!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 07 sti lmtd #275
something fishy going on here
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 06 TRD Tacoma
update:

-They can only replace 3 of 4 spark plugs. They tried to get the other one out but it seems to take more and more force as it turns, leading them to believe that it's cross-threaded. They're not going to force it because it could lead to needing a new cylinder head if the threads get stripped.
-The MAF sensor mounting bracket has a hole so I need a new top to my airbox? I'm going to have to take a look at that myself
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by JooseyJeff
update:

-They can only replace 3 of 4 spark plugs. They tried to get the other one out but it seems to take more and more force as it turns, leading them to believe that it's cross-threaded. They're not going to force it because it could lead to needing a new cylinder head if the threads get stripped.
-The MAF sensor mounting bracket has a hole so I need a new top to my airbox? I'm going to have to take a look at that myself
WTF. Where did you buy this car?

It is very possible to screw up a spark plug. That one in the back can be a PITA but even my dumb *** can do it.

They're gonna have to figure out how to get that spark plug out at some point. Don't understand the whole in your MAF mount.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Volkey
i have heard a few stories similar to this one from Mann.. Kinda weird that so many cars that go thru there need a new steering rack

2nd, and 3rd opinion ftw, dont dump all your money into one stock, spread it out and get a second look!
Seriously. Then you toss in all these other problems. Either they're farming for work... which I hope is not the case because I had heard good things about MANN and they were at BAM and seemed nice enough.

So it's either that or the previous owner of this car was a hack and I'd be worried about more than just these "little" things and get a full inspection done on the car.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by JooseyJeff
update:

I had the same problem on my S13 and the dealer told me to just leave it and drive it until it died. I drove it for another year and sold it with 222K on it. Relatively common when someone who doesn't know what they are doing installs plugs. I've worked on my own cars for a looooong time and never once had it happen to me.

Seriously. Then you toss in all these other problems. Either they're farming for work... which I hope is not the case because I had heard good things about MANN and they were at BAM and seemed nice enough.

So it's either that or the previous owner of this car was a hack and I'd be worried about more than just these "little" things and get a full inspection done on the car.
I agree, except that what I usually find is that a good shop will find things that are wrong and a bad shop doesn't know that they are problems or doesn't care to tell you. I'd rather they tell me, because I have the option of not having them fix it.

The rack that I just had to have replaced on my GF had 208K on it, and yes I'd figure that price they are quoting should include a full alignment.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX Limited 4 door
That many Steering racks needing replacement all at the same place seems really fishy to me

Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Steering rack seals wear out; it is a fact of life, so I wouldn't exactly call it fishy. That they are finding so many is unusual, but it also means they are looking at things that are potential problems so perhaps they just happen to be getting in cars that have the same problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Subies are famous for boiling PS Fluid under hard driving. That ain't good for the rack, so I'm not shocked when one goes out.

It's an issue to the point that some of the JDM cars have PS coolers from the factory.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Sounds fishy. Either your car has a ton more mileage than what the cluster shows or they're trying to rip you off.

You can tap and helocoil a spark plug hole no problem but Ive never attempted one on a subaru and dont think I ever will unless the engine was out. There is very little room to play with.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
I see racks go out daily. We stock 'em for a reason.

As for the plug... yes, you can heliacoil it, but it is a giant pain in the ****. I'd just leave the one plug in.

Sounds like the car was bought used. What shop looked at it a month ago? Are you sure they looked hard? Do you know the history of the car? Was a full, pre-purchase inspection done? Remember that Gary specializes in Subaru so he knows what to look for a bit more than the regular shop. I know his tech is also factory trained.

I've known Gary for over 10 years and I've not once seen him do something shady. In fact, I've seen him flat out refuse to do things that weren't right.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by Unit 91
I've known Gary for over 10 years and I've not once seen him do something shady. In fact, I've seen him flat out refuse to do things that weren't right.
The things that Gary told me about what he has done for his customers (aftermarket part failed and the manufacturer wouldn't warranty it, he fixed problem out of his pocket) says to me that this is the kind of place I want working on my car. They are exactly what I was looking for and they just happen to be near by too.

That's exactly what I said earlier too, a good shop is more likely to find problems that a lesser shop does not. It may end up costing you more because they found it, but in the long run, it is likely saving you frustration of having that problem at a less opportune time.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Got my 60k service done at Mann...they had some bad news for me