Got hit, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:22 AM
Straight as an arrow

Car Info: The Fit is gone!
Got hit, have a few questions

I was rear-ended going to work today, damage is moderate with the tailgate (I drive a wagon) pushed in and such. He was driving a lifted Ram with a front-mounted tow hitch so the bumper isnt really affectred, and the quarter panels look to be fine. The trunk wont open tho, so i dont know how bad the damage is.

Since it was 0% my fault, will I be provided a rental car, even though I'm 19?
I have AAA and the Ram has Allstate if it helps.

Anyone know of any good body shops around Hayward and such? I love my car more than anything, so I want it in like-new condition when I get it back.
Anyway I can try to get a good full paint job instead of just the hatch that needs to be fixed?

I havent been in a crash before, so all of this is new to me, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
sorry to hear about your accident...

I know it's a little far from Hayward, but it's a great shop. I went all the way down to get things done in the past. And enterprise is almost next door (walking distant).

Carmat Collision Center
Matthew Koue (owner)
1650 Mansfield Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
831-464-0338

They've done some GREAT work for me in the past. They don't 'fix' parts, they replace EVERYTHING possible. Paint job was great (I had midnight black pearl), you can't tell at all. I remember having the front bumper replaced once, and went in again later (yeah, got hit again) and told them some paint came off the front bumper (this time I was hit in the rear). They looked at it and fixed it without questions.

Good luck!

Leo
Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 toyota tacoma
you should be fine..AAA will fix everything and about the rental car, since you are under 21, your parents will have to rent it for you.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Make sure it is a AAA recommended shop so you have warranty on the work. If you are not happy with it, AAA will take care of that. If you go to a shop that is not AAA approved, your risk and your money + your time.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor

maybe that's the case with AAA or the shop. For one I don't have AAA, I have 21st. And the shop I use does not work with 21st direct. But I never have problem going back and getting things fixed. (one was the bumper, the other was the subframe) They always deal with my insurance company for me, I just drop and pickup. BTW, Allstate SUCKS! I had an accident while I was with Allstate once, what a pain. Had to bring the car in for damnage check, on the phone FOREVER to take care of the money/rate. 21st is the best so far. (I've gone with AAA before as well. I hate dealing with the agent and their rate SUCKS!)

Originally Posted by -j-
Make sure it is a AAA recommended shop so you have warranty on the work. If you are not happy with it, AAA will take care of that. If you go to a shop that is not AAA approved, your risk and your money + your time.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 AM
-j-

I worked there and I didn't buy their insurance. That may tell you something.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor

LOL! I believe you!
Originally Posted by -j-
I worked there and I didn't buy their insurance. That may tell you something.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor

sorry, for jacking your thread...

As for the rental thing, you can make it work if they are willing. When I was 19, my protege was involved in a hit and run (it sucked, we came back home the rear was all mashed). Enterprise still gave me a rental. and this was with AAA. It's funny that these 'authorized' shops are more shady than the ones that are not. the guy noticed I had a dent in the front of the car and asked me if I wanted to get it fix too. He said I could get it into the same claim. (basically cheat on my insurance). Of couse I didn't do it, but damn!

And the shop I recommanded above. I asked Matt if he could help me out with my deductable (I was a POOR college kid ), and he wouldn't do it. But that accident did scratch my wheel, so he said, if I don't care, he could give me the money that supposely would be use to fix the wheel and not fix the wheel. It's legal, not cheating the insurance company, but that helped my deductable. Anyway, good luck!

Leo
Old 10-22-2004, 05:06 PM

I have been a few accidents and none were my fault. Remember that it was not your fault when you talk to them and tell them what you want, since it is the other person's policy that will pay.

So being 19 will not be a problem, the car rental will cost more but who cares they are paying. Under no circumstance should you have your parents sign anything for this unless you are under their policy now.

As for shops, you can take it to any shop, including the dealership. This is California law. The insurance company will tell you to take it to one of their shops because they have a deal with them already. Take it where you want and get your car fixed right.

like the person who posted above, with a rear ender, you will be approached to sign a waiver and will be paid. I would not sign this unless you are 1000000000% that you are not hurt. As a precaution, I would go to the doctor and have things "looked" at.

Last edited by En3D; 10-22-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Straight as an arrow

I put the claim in with AAA within half an hour of getting hit, so thats taken care of. They assigned my case or whatever to a lady, and she was supposedly gonna talk to Allstate. I havent spoken to her yet though. Should I go ahead and talk to Allstate myself as well? I called AAA right after and asked if I should get a police report, but they said it wasnt necessary.
Im under my parents insurance policy, so does that affect the rental car thing?
Has anyone had body work done at Livermore or Oakland Subaru? Those are the closest to me, so any imput is appreciated. I live in Hayward and I want to be able to drop by and see how things are progressing and bring food and such to the workers so they make sure to do a good job, so Santa Cruz is a bit far. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:19 AM
-j-

They're most likely off today. You may have to wait until Monday unless they call you. All AAA will be waiting for is verification and admission of fault from the other side then the ball will roll. Until then, they will tell you the deductible will apply until that admission is verified. I hope you have a good adjuster that moves fast. As I mentioned earlier, you can go to a shop that you want that is a AAA shop and they will do all the estimates there and if a rental car is necessary deliver it there. YOu're adjuster is there to help you, so use them as you wish. I wouldn't go to Allstate myself, but that's just me. I would let them deal with each other.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Straight as an arrow

I talked to the Allstate people today, arranged for a rental and appointment to get the car looked at. I'm getting a standard car from Enterprise, as opposed to the sub-economy one they tried to give me. For the medical thing, they said to just get checked out and then tell them the results and they would decide what to do in regards to reimbursement and pain & suffering pay. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:55 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Sorry to hear about your aching neck and back.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Lurk
Sorry to hear about your aching neck and back.
not a good idea when its your fault!

accidents you cause involving personal injury, yours or the other party, do go on your record as such and raise your rates MUCH higher than non injury accidents.
My wife has 2 accidents on her record(ugh) but one of them is an injury accident and that almost kept me from getting someone to insure my STI when I bought it

also AAA insurance sucks for paying ARs, I know shops that will refuse AAA work since they ar esuch a PITA to get money out of.

BTW this has been a rough month for wrecks on this forum

Last edited by Krinkov; 10-25-2004 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Got hit, have a few questions