goodbye to my gc8

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Car Info: '06 GT52'd STi '03 Miata SE
Glad you're alright. Car can always be replaced.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Glad you are okay.

Snap oversteer happens, but doesn't mean you lose control. Sometimes, the combo of things equates to losing control.

Be more careful next time.
I've used it on purpose.

My wife won't go on drives with me anymore because I used it on purpose on 2 separate drives. Once I came in to a corner behind jeff... flying. I saw he was having trouble with grip so I had to choices. Slam on the breaks or speed up. I sped up. Late braked hard, lifted. Snap oversteer. Put my car in to a full drift on wet asphalt and powered through the corner. I still don't know how Jeff saved it because he went in to it without knowing. I had time to prepare. Dude can flat drive.

Another one I came in to a free way on ramp a little hot and looked at my wife and said... hold on. Lifted and used the oversteer to get around the corner. That was the last straw. She yelled at me about loosing control with her in the car. I couldn't seem to get through to her that if I knew it was going to happen I wasn't really loosing control.

The bad is when you don't know it's gonna happen. Or if it's wet/icy/muddy. Most of the wrecks happen when people drive too deep in to a corner, lift and it snaps on them. They panic and do the worst... hit the brakes. That brings more of a snap correction than a snap oversteer. The car comes back and next thing you know you're spinning. Lift/brake. Bad.

I've seen a few subies get lost that way... literally. Had one damn near flip on me on hammy.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by irrational x
Lifting and ice are the only two causes I've had in my legacy, and the snap on the ice was exasperated by lifting. The car started to go when I wasn't expecting it (during a left turn in an intersection early one morning) and my brain went "WTF?!!?!?" and I lifted.

Human fallibility is the one thing you cant engineer away.
That's what happened to me. Wasn't even drastic. I recognized I was going too fast a little too late. I very slowly easier the clutch in, downshifted and eased it out. Very very smooth. But it was just enough to set it loose. Best save of my life. This was a couple weeks ago.

And you know what... I pointed the finger straight at me. I ****ed up. Got very lucky.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 00RS
I used to use it the snap on purpose too for when I would rally. And once in Mt Madonna. It's fun but dangerous at the same time.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 00RS
This is my new favorite video