Good place for reliable coilover installation / initial configuration

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
it would be a good and easy learning experience for you to do it.

you need:
1 jack
2 jack stands
10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm sockets and wrenchs
Torque specs (I can send them to you)
torque wrench (fixes the whole self-distrust thing)

Jack the front of the car up, put on jack stands. remove front wheels.
remove nut and bolt on brake line to the strut, remove two big19mm bolts that go through the ear of the strut and hub. Remember the camber bolt(bolt-with-a-lobe) goes on top.
loosen top three 12mm nuts from the tophat with some one holding the strut(or leave a bolt partially in the bottom hole).
remove old strut assembly, install new one. Take note on the camber bolt as it turns on the top . You'll be able to see it move the top of the hub inward and outward. I just move it all the way in before an alignment.

torque it all to spec, reinstall wheels, lower front of car off the jack stands and jack up the rear.

Do the same for the rear, though you'll have to remove your back seat which is not hard to do.
The rear does not come stock with camber bolts. You can install some at this time, again they go on the top hole of the hub.

depends on if you care to learn this stuff. if not, go to one of the mentioned shops and they will gladly take car of you.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:50 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
I'd love learning this stuff, but again I don't trust myself to work on my daily driver myself. I will consider it though...so I will definitely remember this thread should I need something to reference. . I don't even have proper stands or a good jack though, or a torque wrench. Yea I could go out and buy all of it, but eh...distrust.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Ok so I called them today on my lunch and they told me that for a wrx with coilover installation, it would be 175, and for the allignment it would be 100, bringing me to a total of 275. :s yuck :/