Good dial-up ISP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Good dial-up ISP?

Asking for my sister (don't ask) who doesn't need DSL. She only surfs the web for emails and the occasional search.

Which dial-up service provider has the best service and speed for the Sacramento area?

Tia!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:57 AM

Im not sure, just watch out for the companys who advertise 2 differant prices for the same speed, they will say 10x faster simply because it eliminates the pop ups. If you go with the lowerpriced IS from that same company, the software installed onto the PC will have adwear, and other types of files to make those pop ups annoying as hell to where the customer will go nuts and be forced into getting the "high speed" crap.

As a dialup connection I reccomend you do not use the software which the company gives you, just ad the account information after obtaining it to the built in software for windows and have it connect through that. It doesnt sound like a big deal but trust me its sucks to have all that crap on your PC along with a dial connection.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by Fatal Velocity
Im not sure, just watch out for the companys who advertise 2 differant prices for the same speed, they will say 10x faster simply because it eliminates the pop ups. If you go with the lowerpriced IS from that same company, the software installed onto the PC will have adwear, and other types of files to make those pop ups annoying as hell to where the customer will go nuts and be forced into getting the "high speed" crap.

As a dialup connection I reccomend you do not use the software which the company gives you, just ad the account information after obtaining it to the built in software for windows and have it connect through that. It doesnt sound like a big deal but trust me its sucks to have all that crap on your PC along with a dial connection.
Thanks for the input.

Any package deals that don't have this problem? I'm not very good with computers and either is she. The more "customer friendly" the better.

Earthlink, Juno, SBC etc.?

Which deal would you recommend? Maybe a cheap "high-speed" service?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:05 AM

Car Info: Heated Leather Seats
i've been using isp.com for unlimited access.

you can always try www.findanisp.com