Good Beers? Official Beer Lovers Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:45 AM
VIP Member

Hey, to all the beer drinkers out there. We all know that beer is more of an required taste and I want to start drinking more dark beers. Is there any dark beer out there that is good to start out with?
Old 09-11-2004, 02:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
It really depends on what you prefer in your light beers. If you like a hoppy beer like pale ales, you may want to start with Guiness or one of the more hoppy stouts or porters. If you like smoother wheat style beers, like hefewizen, you should probably start with a cream stout like Murphy's. Another thing that works is mixing up a black and tan, which is a mix between a stout and a pale ale. The most common combo is Guiness with Bass. It easy to do, all you do is poor half a glass of Bass. Then, get a large spoon and hold it just above the level of the Bass, and poor in half a Guiness on to the spoon in the glass (the spoon cuts down on the foam and keeps the lighter weight Guiness from mixing with the heavier weight Bass.) A black and tan will serve two purposes. One, it will "water down" the guiness and help you get used to it. Two, it will make you look like a bad-***, seasond beer drinker when you are walking around a party with the perfect 50/50 color split in the glass. Another beer to try if you're really timid about making the jump to a really dark beer is a bock beer (a dark red), or a mexican dark beer, like Modelo Negra (no where near as dark as the English/Irish based dark beers).

-Chris

Last edited by bassplayrr; 09-11-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX Limited
Old 09-11-2004, 01:02 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
It depends on the mood. If you asked for an on the spot choice I'd be torn between a room temp guiness or a boddingtons. Tetley's is another fav.

With dinner I like a good hefewiezen so I don't get too filled up though.

Tiger is ok if you're out clubbing in SE Asia, pretty light but it will rip the average bud drinker to shreds lol. My last trip to malaysia I brought one of the good ol boys with me and he ordered a bud(a wondered why, he didn't look like he needed to wash his hands so I couldn't figure out why he wanted a glass of water). I cancelled his order and got us a nice jug of tiger. We polished off the first jug and I wasn't even getting warmed up yet when I look over and his eyes are rolling in the back of his head ROFL.

So far the absolute BEST beer combo meal that I'll never forget was my first tetleys on tap and an odd pizza. In Ipoh malaysia, I can't remember the name of the mall, there's kintacity, parkson, and this one the real big one but I can't remember the darn name. Anyhow theres a nice little outdoor pizza joint that has some real interesting pizzas that are all cooked over a flame and you get to pick whether you want the hickory or mesquite stove. We got a bbq chicken with white sauce, red onions, fat chunks of garlic, a very dry cheese, and the strangest thing, a few eggs strewn over the top cooked over mesquite(after cooking they came out a perfect over medium, done white and nice runny yellow). I took a bite of the pizza and thought "hmmph damn good pizza, the best I've ever had", then I took a swig of the tetley's. Ohhhh my god, I had died and gone to heaven. It was the most blissful combination of tastes. I thought it was a fluke and nothing could be that good twice so I went back two more times on that trip it was just as good every time. That taste was so memorable, I absolutely cannot wait for my trip next month.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by illusion
It depends on the mood. If you asked for an on the spot choice I'd be torn between a room temp guiness or a boddingtons. Tetley's is another fav.

With dinner I like a good hefewiezen so I don't get too filled up though.

Tiger is ok if you're out clubbing in SE Asia, pretty light but it will rip the average bud drinker to shreds lol. My last trip to malaysia I brought one of the good ol boys with me and he ordered a bud(a wondered why, he didn't look like he needed to wash his hands so I couldn't figure out why he wanted a glass of water). I cancelled his order and got us a nice jug of tiger. We polished off the first jug and I wasn't even getting warmed up yet when I look over and his eyes are rolling in the back of his head ROFL.

So far the absolute BEST beer combo meal that I'll never forget was my first tetleys on tap and an odd pizza. In Ipoh malaysia, I can't remember the name of the mall, there's kintacity, parkson, and this one the real big one but I can't remember the darn name. Anyhow theres a nice little outdoor pizza joint that has some real interesting pizzas that are all cooked over a flame and you get to pick whether you want the hickory or mesquite stove. We got a bbq chicken with white sauce, red onions, fat chunks of garlic, a very dry cheese, and the strangest thing, a few eggs strewn over the top cooked over mesquite(after cooking they came out a perfect over medium, done white and nice runny yellow). I took a bite of the pizza and thought "hmmph damn good pizza, the best I've ever had", then I took a swig of the tetley's. Ohhhh my god, I had died and gone to heaven. It was the most blissful combination of tastes. I thought it was a fluke and nothing could be that good twice so I went back two more times on that trip it was just as good every time. That taste was so memorable, I absolutely cannot wait for my trip next month.
There are few things better in life than a choice beer/food combo.

-Chris