Going up to tahoe with summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
I wouldn't recommend it on Summer OR Bald all-seasons. I went up with some bald RE-92s and the uphill and flats were fine. But I literally spun out 3 times going downhill. The first time I hit a snow embankment and some snow was just packed into my fender. The second time I spun out on a large curve into the OPPOSING lane! Luckily again it was like 5AM. The third time I wasn't as lucky and hit the guardrail, denting in my fender and cracking my corner light.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
It's unnerving to see posts telling the OP that this is OK. We know it's not safe to do, everyone who's tried it has spun out, and even tire manufacturers are telling us not to do this. I know it's cool to be macho and pull the whole "I'm a bad *** cuz I did stuff others think is dangerous," but this is not the place for that, and like many of you, I kind of enjoy my car and living and breathing in general. We all love Tahoe so why take the risk? Let's be safe out there everyone....
Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by PaulSTI
Another point is that the STI owners manual (for 06-07 at least) says that you can not use chains, there's not enough clearance in the wheel well.

Just a heads up. Next time buy Extreme performance All season tires!
You cannot use CHAINS, but you can use CABLES.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Yin
It's unnerving to see posts telling the OP that this is OK. We know it's not safe to do, everyone who's tried it has spun out, and even tire manufacturers are telling us not to do this. I know it's cool to be macho and pull the whole "I'm a bad *** cuz I did stuff others think is dangerous," but this is not the place for that, and like many of you, I kind of enjoy my car and living and breathing in general. We all love Tahoe so why take the risk? Let's be safe out there everyone....
I don't see anyone recommending it?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Yin

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I don't see anyone recommending it?
no, i know. no one is "recommending" it per se, but the implications, if reading quickly, might possibly sway any naysayers of snow tires (don't know why there would be) to one direction:

"You can get it there."

"But honestly, because of your situtation, if it's not snowing this weekend and the roads are plowed and 'dry', just drive slow and stay alert and you should be fine."

"You can (should be able to) get there."

"I have driven from the bay to wyoming and back in the middle of january running some falken summer performance, and without fail @ -40 F. Lowering your psi in the tires to 25 or so will greatly improve your footprint and provide more traction. Your tires might jacked up as far as performing again on dry conditions, but I never really noticed."

I did not quote them directly as I'm not trying to single/call anyone out or blame anyone for suggesting the idea, and most of these posters quoted have qualified their statements with "but you shouldn't try it," so I understand where they are coming from. I'm just afraid that some first-time snow drivers reading this thread for actual knowledge won't be able to contextualize these statements and just take them as another instance of being able to get through snow without proper tires. Plus, this year is an El Nino year, so the snow fall is especially fierce and frequent.

I apologize if i come off being too forward.

I'm just being paranoid and want everyone to be safe
Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Yin +1 x 1000
Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Yeah but the bottom line is the biggest safety factor is the driver. You could have crazy good snow tires on and spin and wreck because you think your invincible. I mean how many times have you seen wrecks blamed on RE92s.

I would never recommend someone drive up in to the snow without snow tires but it has been done and can be done. I think that's all people are saying. He asked if it could be done and people say sure... but why.

I mean go to any other state outside of california that has snow and local will wonder what the big fuss is.

Hell if it was up to me and I had the dough I'd get a BURLY set of snow tires just so I could get through more crap and have more fun. haaaaa.

good point though.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Yin

Thumbs up word

Yeah but the bottom line is the biggest safety factor is the driver. You could have crazy good snow tires on and spin and wreck because you think your invincible. I mean how many times have you seen wrecks blamed on RE92s.
Oh dude, you are absolutely correct and I totally agree with you. Hell, I'm one of these drivers you speak of. Last year i had STUDDED snow tires and got cocky along the lakeside highway (where they don't plow it all), spun out in the shaded area, and got stuck in the embankment on the other side of the road. fortunately I was not hurt, nor was the car, and a very nice local stopped to help dig me out. But I've also made it up and back through the ****tiest storms on bald re92's. So you're right, it's mostly the driver.

So my only point is that it's safer to have something and not need it, than not have something and suddenly need it. In this case -- proper tires. and like someone else said, there are other cars around that are carrying people too. And given that us bay area pansies never drive in snow, proper equipment can save lives in this case.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Sounds like time for a rental car to me.

Save the STi from the Salty roads
Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Car Info: Fast

I would never recommend someone drive up in to the snow without snow tires but it has been done and can be done. I think that's all people are saying. He asked if it could be done and people say sure... but why.

I mean go to any other state outside of california that has snow and local will wonder what the big fuss is.

Hell if it was up to me and I had the dough I'd get a BURLY set of snow tires just so I could get through more crap and have more fun. haaaaa.

good point though.
Well said, but I disagree about the first line. There are situations that bad/improper tires can get you into that a good driver cannot get out of.

For the rest, I agree with Yin.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Lowend
Sounds like time for a rental car to me.

Save the STi from the Salty roads
Same here... my STi is a garage queen now I miss driving in the snow but I don't miss the beatings it gives to the paint.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 09 DGM STi
For us who dont have the extra cash to spend on all season/snow tires and wheels....I figured cables are the only alternative. For those who use cables, can you provide me with some pros and cons for having them vs. winter tires. Also, what brand of cables are you using and where did you buy them.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by dkohn1337; 12-15-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Picked these up for the coming years. I've got a set of wheels I can mount these on and store them when I'm not going to the snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+M3
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
As soon as my all seasons die on my beater wheels, I am going to buy actual snow tires. I HATE getting out of the car to put on cables. I hardly ever have to do it, but once every 5 years is enough to mentally scar me.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I've been on M&S rated tires for years. I picked up some R-S2s for fun and I realized what I've been missing. Of course this is virtual suicide in the snow so it's two sets for me from now on.

Quick Reply: Going up to tahoe with summer tires