Going up to tahoe with summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Going up to tahoe with summer tires

I want to take my STI up to the snow this winter. I bought some high performance summer tires for it (Bridgestone RE-01R's). Seemed like a really good idea in last summer, not so much now.

How bad would it be to take it there with those tires on? I mean it is AWD.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
You can get it there. Ray and I have driven with those on in some say less than ideal conditions. If it comes down you're screwed. Chains will destroy them. Get some snow tires.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 04 AW WRX
i have gone up in summer tires before, but it wasn't too snowwy...I don't really recommend doing it if there is little to any snow. You are better off getting new tires, than risking the summer ones freezing up becuz the soft compound and crashing into something
Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Bummer...I might just rent something instead. I don't have any space to store winter tires. Does anyone rent out wheels with all seasons?? haha
Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Put a feeler up. Might find someone that'll "borrow" you a set.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
From TireRack:
The Potenza RE-01R (with the "R" signifying Revolutionary) is the Extreme Performance Summer tire member of Bridgestone's global family of Potenza performance tires developed for enthusiastic sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan drivers. The Potenza RE-01R is designed to provide high levels of traction, responsive handling and driving control in dry and wet road conditions. The Potenza RE-01R is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

they say it for a reason. it's cold and snowy up there. think about it this way: what's going to cost more? going off the road or a set of new tires?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
cal

Car Info: 03
Yea it's not so much the snow, its the temperature that can effect the traction of the tires if they're not intended for it.

Of course it's always good to be safe than sorry and I agree with everyone in here that spending a little more is worth being safe.

But honestly, because of your situtation, if it's not snowing this weekend and the roads are plowed and 'dry', just drive slow and stay alert and you should be fine.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
i went up with summer tires once. spun out a buncha times on snowy roads going really slow too. there is a huge storm this week as well. i wouldnt do it. for your own safety. at least borrow someone's M+S tires, even something like stock re92's would be better than summers.

better safe than sorry
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
You can (should be able to) get there. The only gamble is weather or not they are going to enforce chains in which case your tires will get jacked up.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Do you really want to be on summer tires if/when you hit a patch of black ice?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I wouldn't do it. Hell I drifted the RE01R's the other night... 35 degree weather turned them into hockey pucks!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Not worth the risk. Have the proper equipment, fly (1 hr flight to Reno), or don't come. Not only is it safer for you, it is safer for everyone else on the road with you- and more curteous (causing a major traffic jam because you were unprepared and got in an accident is a pretty big dick move).
There are also a ton of companies that have buses that go up for day/ weekend trips all the time. Have you thought about looking in to that?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 PM

Na, I was thinking of going up there for a weekend. I'd like to have my car when I go up. Are All Seasons OK for snow?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM
cal

Car Info: 03
Yes, all seasons are ok for light snow.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by antonch
Na, I was thinking of going up there for a weekend. I'd like to have my car when I go up. Are All Seasons OK for snow?
Yep! My whole family uses all seasons because we don't want 7 sets of extra wheels/ tires laying around the house. Just got Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires put on my car on Saturday. Before that I had Pirelli P Zero Neros, they did well but they didn't last as long as I had hoped they would.

Quick Reply: Going up to tahoe with summer tires