Going to Japan, need reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I haven't been in a while, so some of these suggestions might be a little outdated, but here we go (in no particular order):
-Hang out in Odaiba/the Tokyo Bay Area. Check out Decks shopping center and the Sega Joypolis (Initial D with a FULL SIZED AE86, GC8, and FD3S on motion actuators!)
- Go to Yokohama and explore. Ride the ferris wheel for a great view. Miss Chinese food? Go to Chinatown!
- Visit Yoyogi Park on a Sunday to check out the cosplayers and visual rockers, b-boys, gothic lolitas, etc. Stop by Meiji Shrine if so inclined, it's in the park.
- Go to Tsukiji Fish Market early in the AM (but not Wednesday, it's closed every other Wednesday) and check out the scene -- super fresh seafood, fish auctions, and great cheap(er) sushi.
- Hit up the bars, clubs, and night shows in Roppongi and be dazzled (just watch out for yakuza lackies and shady African dudes haha)
- Roppongi Hills has a nice shopping center on it lower floors.
- Marunouchi has high-end shopping, probably not something that'd interest you but worth a look if you have some extra time to burn haha (doubtfully, right?) -- maybe the gf would like it.
- Visit some shrines and temples if you like; I suggest Asakusa Kanon Temple and its Nakamise shopping arcade over all the others.
- Go to the Imperial Palace on the Sumida River and take a cruise if you like, otherwise, you can just explore the outer grounds and take photos, etc.
- Check out the view from the top of Tokyo Tower, or, if you want to save a few bucks, go to the observation deck in the Tokyo metropolitan government building in Shinjuku instead; their cafe serves reasonably-priced food for lunch and is a bar by night.
- If you wanna shop for electronics, forget buying in Akihabara since things are either over-priced rarities or second-hand goods there. Find any branch of Yodobashi Camera and do your shopping there instead for unused and reasonably priced electronics.
- Akihabara is otherwise not a bad place if you're an otaku though haha!
- Go shopping in Shinjuku. Go on a weekend, lots of street performers and crowds that liven up the mood.
- Go window-shopping in Ginza. Don't buy anything unless it's really cheap, b/c you're prolly getting ripped off. Last time I was there (like, 14 years ago haha), there was a shop that sold nothing but PIAA merchandise on the main drag -- worth checking out. There's also Hakuhinkan, a multi-level toy store that's been around for over 100 years and has some pretty damn cool stuff.
- If you like clubbing/partying, hit the west side of Tokyo for a fun night: Start in Shibuya, party on to Shinjuku, then party on to Harajuku, then end the night in Ikebukuro. By the time you're done in Ikebukuro, it should be about dawn if you're partying hard enough haha.
- If you have guts, you can try to climb Mt. Fuji. Otherwise, you can go to nearby Hakone for an onsen (hot spring) session. It feels goooooooooooood (although maybe not so much in the summer time?)! You can also take a cruise on Lake Hakone and check out the small shops on the shore.
- If you like the beach, Kamakura's not half bad. Plus, lots of temples and historical sites there, including Kotoku-in, home of the largest bronze Buddha statue in Japan. Enoshima Island is nearby too, and it's a nice little natural escape.
- Don't bother with Ueno Park and its zoo, nothing special.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:04 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by lacaplol
If and when in Tokyo, make sure to visit Roppongi Hills, as well as Odaiba!
+1 Make sure to check if they have anything special going on in Odaiba. The last 2 times I went, subaru had a special showing giving people rides and showing Eye sight, as well as the new forester.
Originally Posted by mooshoo
Perfect thread! I'm heading to Tokyo first week of April. Visiting mitaka for sure!

Ate at jiro a while ago before he became seriously famous. His sons place in shinjuku is just as good!
Mitaka is awesome, but I'd definitely make sure you know how to get there first since its a bit out of way. Thing with Japan is there are no street signs and Mitaka subaru is a bit off the main road IIRC.

Visit Akihabara for the geeky stuff. Ginza for fashion and "new hype" stuff.

Definitely go to Moss Burger..

Last but not least, DO NOT be afraid to go into the hole in the wall shops/restaurants. Some of them are the most interesting/most delicious food i've eaten from, and usually pretty cheap!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Mitaka is awesome, but I'd definitely make sure you know how to get there first since its a bit out of way. Thing with Japan is there are no street signs and Mitaka subaru is a bit off the main road IIRC.
Spoiler alert - Google maps works as well in Japan as it does in the US, including the public transport & walking directions
the only skill you need to get around now is to activate international data roaming on your iphone...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
OK so I kinda went AFK after I made this thread, work got super crazy. anyways,

Originally Posted by S'poreSTI
Your last line killed most of my good advice.

Hit Subaru Mitaka, its very cool, stuff for sale & the STI museum, ~ 20min walk from Musashisakai Sta (station after Mitaka)

from wiki: Mitaka is a major stop on the JR Chūō Line (中央線). Chūō trains depart from Tokyo Station on platforms 1 and 2 (34 minutes; ¥380), and from Shinjuku on platform 12 (15 minutes; ¥210).
??????CAR DO SUBARU ?????????????????

Cool place for dinner in Tokyo, Ginza, been going here for years, i love the food here & always buy some take away soy sauce & olive oil
enji

Definitely going to hit up that dealership, tsukiji and odaiba when I'm in tokyo.

Got a few nice restaurants lined up. Rakutei for tenpura. My hotel is supposed to get back today to me on whether they could get me a reservation at Sukiyabashi Jiro honten or the Roppongi outlet. FINGERS CROSSED!

Originally Posted by Overbear
Yes good advice....

Buy a shipping container, take orders here, take money from people with orders, fill container, ship back..make TONS of new best friends as you hand out JDM goodies
Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX
Nerd it up in Akihabara; add items to OB's shipping container. Profit.

I'm considering taking a small number of orders for smaller items, first come first serve basis, I'll post more later.

Originally Posted by lacaplol
If and when in Tokyo, make sure to visit Roppongi Hills, as well as Odaiba!
Drinking with my old high school friends and love hotels with le girlfriend
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I recommend that you bring me back a JDM, non DCCD STi drivetrain from the shift **** to the brembos.

Other than that, stay radiation-free!
You find a seller, give me a credit card number, find a shipping company and i'll go and sign the paper work for you...?

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
My advice... buy whatever you need to put that motor from FW in your car.

If you fill up a container bring me some JDM STI headlights... 04/05. Don't think my other dude can fit that in his suitcase. LOL!
Going to give Paul a call after I manage to test drive the new wrx, also wanna see if he wants to do a FA20 build

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I haven't been in a while, so some of these suggestions might be a little outdated, but here we go (in no particular order):
-Hang out in Odaiba/the Tokyo Bay Area. Check out Decks shopping center and the Sega Joypolis (Initial D with a FULL SIZED AE86, GC8, and FD3S on motion actuators!)
- Go to Yokohama and explore. Ride the ferris wheel for a great view. Miss Chinese food? Go to Chinatown!
- Visit Yoyogi Park on a Sunday to check out the cosplayers and visual rockers, b-boys, gothic lolitas, etc. Stop by Meiji Shrine if so inclined, it's in the park.
- Go to Tsukiji Fish Market early in the AM (but not Wednesday, it's closed every other Wednesday) and check out the scene -- super fresh seafood, fish auctions, and great cheap(er) sushi.
- Hit up the bars, clubs, and night shows in Roppongi and be dazzled (just watch out for yakuza lackies and shady African dudes haha)
- Roppongi Hills has a nice shopping center on it lower floors.
- Marunouchi has high-end shopping, probably not something that'd interest you but worth a look if you have some extra time to burn haha (doubtfully, right?) -- maybe the gf would like it.
- Visit some shrines and temples if you like; I suggest Asakusa Kanon Temple and its Nakamise shopping arcade over all the others.
- Go to the Imperial Palace on the Sumida River and take a cruise if you like, otherwise, you can just explore the outer grounds and take photos, etc.
- Check out the view from the top of Tokyo Tower, or, if you want to save a few bucks, go to the observation deck in the Tokyo metropolitan government building in Shinjuku instead; their cafe serves reasonably-priced food for lunch and is a bar by night.
- If you wanna shop for electronics, forget buying in Akihabara since things are either over-priced rarities or second-hand goods there. Find any branch of Yodobashi Camera and do your shopping there instead for unused and reasonably priced electronics.
- Akihabara is otherwise not a bad place if you're an otaku though haha!
- Go shopping in Shinjuku. Go on a weekend, lots of street performers and crowds that liven up the mood.
- Go window-shopping in Ginza. Don't buy anything unless it's really cheap, b/c you're prolly getting ripped off. Last time I was there (like, 14 years ago haha), there was a shop that sold nothing but PIAA merchandise on the main drag -- worth checking out. There's also Hakuhinkan, a multi-level toy store that's been around for over 100 years and has some pretty damn cool stuff.
- If you like clubbing/partying, hit the west side of Tokyo for a fun night: Start in Shibuya, party on to Shinjuku, then party on to Harajuku, then end the night in Ikebukuro. By the time you're done in Ikebukuro, it should be about dawn if you're partying hard enough haha.
- If you have guts, you can try to climb Mt. Fuji. Otherwise, you can go to nearby Hakone for an onsen (hot spring) session. It feels goooooooooooood (although maybe not so much in the summer time?)! You can also take a cruise on Lake Hakone and check out the small shops on the shore.
- If you like the beach, Kamakura's not half bad. Plus, lots of temples and historical sites there, including Kotoku-in, home of the largest bronze Buddha statue in Japan. Enoshima Island is nearby too, and it's a nice little natural escape.
- Don't bother with Ueno Park and its zoo, nothing special.
さすがー!such detail, much thanks, many wows. Shinjuku, Shibuya, Fujisan+Hakone are now officially on the itinerary. We're starting in Tokyo for 6 days, taking the Shinkansen to Sapporo, staying at Takinoya in Nokoribetsu for two nights, driving to Aomori for some Hanami (It's out in the sticks, but it's the only date that lines up with my plans).

Then it's down to Nagoya and Kyoto to hang out with some old college friends. Visit Kinkakuji and eat (even more).
Old 04-01-2014, 01:22 AM
VIP Member

Nice dude! Take lots of photos for us so we can live vicariously through you haha!

My ex had family in Aomori, her mom's side was from there. She said it was boring as ****-all except for the food and during Nebuta season LOL. Totally off topic, she was also totally sexually harassed by Krinkov a number of years ago.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
That looks rad

Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

^^^
Yuuuuuuuuuuuup, that's it!
Hopefully it's still there.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
^^^
Yuuuuuuuuuuuup, that's it!
Hopefully it's still there.
isn't it like 10 bucks a game or something ridiculous?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
isn't it like 10 bucks a game or something ridiculous?
Everything is expensive in Japan.