Gnarly Santa Cruz Fire...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Racenut
Wind is blowing offshore, which isn't really typical, so San Jose is clear for now. Tonight the wind will shift. You'll be smoky in the morning.

They're saying 3K acres burned so far, but that's been for the last hour or two. They say at least 10K acres before they think they can get a grip on it.

Live news feed - http://www.nbc11.com/videostream/11441536/detail.html
Yeah I'm really hoping the wind flips like it should be and brings the fog with it and doubles up the fire back on itself so it runs outta fuel.

If it keeps pushing the way it is it could get real bad for a lot of folks.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
General Pimpin'

The evacuation point is at the corner of amesti and pioneer. That's like a mile from my folks house. They may get evacuated after all.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
omg. i applied for marin county seasonal firefighter and got through it but turned it down so i could finish my emt and fire classes in time. i'm just thinking that if i had gone through with it i would have been called out at 6am and missed all my finals and would be working like a slave all day right now.

good luck to the fire crews. worst ****ing job. being on handlines digging and cutting shrubs all day on rough terrain and dangerous as fawk.

im glad im not there right now.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by MrMakesItRain
omg. i applied for marin county seasonal firefighter and got through it but turned it down so i could finish my emt and fire classes in time. i'm just thinking that if i had gone through with it i would have been called out at 6am and missed all my finals and would be working like a slave all day right now.

good luck to the fire crews. worst ****ing job. being on handlines digging and cutting shrubs all day on rough terrain and dangerous as fawk.

No joke. Just last night I was talking to my wife about me getting into either fire or the police department. She doesn't want me to do fire. Always been against it. Then we wake up to this... crazy.

I know a couple guys out there right now.

Dude I went to highschool with is a smoke jumper... or was last time I saw him. Crazy.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
man im kinda imagining what it would have been like fighting this fire. its such exhausting work i don't know if i could do it for 24 hours. i would have been out there for 9 months handling fires everywhere in california.

tell you one thing though if i was in a working fire crew this would be a good story to tell afterwards. i would have failed my damn emt class and fire service operations class today though.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 PM
General Pimpin'

man im kinda imagining what it would have been like fighting this fire. its such exhausting work i don't know if i could do it for 24 hours. i would have been out there for 9 months handling fires everywhere in california.

tell you one thing though if i was in a working fire crew this would be a good story to tell afterwards. i would have failed my damn emt class and fire service operations class today though.
They're required by law to let you retake.

Beyond that... it would take a real ******* to fire someone for missing ONE test final or not because they were called in to fight a fire and save lives.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
hope everyone down there is okay... even if you are not next to the fire, the air could be bad still... take care...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
They're required by law to let you retake.

Beyond that... it would take a real ******* to fire someone for missing ONE test final or not because they were called in to fight a fire and save lives.
yeah, thats what I was thinking....you're fighting a ****ing fire!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
You guys down there just watch the weather and winds. Listen to your local news and the fire dept

Keep 100' defensible space from your house and put out any embers with a garden hose if you can!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Im okay FYI
I live opposite side of 17 prob 5 miles away.
Really sad though. I feel like driving over there tomorrow and donating stuff.

Originally Posted by bstyle74
I think it is just a couple sparse mountain cabins and mansions out there, good its not heavily populated. I did read that one structure was burned.
There are actually quite a few...id say 50 houses in its path...probably 1000 homes on that mountain range from 17 to SC to Corralitos. I google map roads so i know these things lol

My friend at CDF Santa Rosa doesnt mind playing XBOX360 all day in the downtime and his 5 day weekends, his free trip to Idaho last year, making friends with bloods and crypts cutting fire lines with him in the chain gang lol.

but yeah, he's almost been surrounded by fire twice in his 3 years...so yeah teeter totter.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM
General Pimpin'

There's a reason fire fighters get schedules like that and get paid the way they do. You have to be ready to put your *** in a sling any given second, be ready to scoop up a kid who got ripped in half in a motorcycle accident and stare at someone burning to death and tell them they'll be o.k. It truly takes a special kind of person.

That's why my wife says no for me. When we were having that conversation the night before the fire she said...

You're smart so I know you'll be o.k. as a cop but you're also the kind of guy that will run into a fire to save someone's *** so no go on the fire department.

Over the next year I'm trying to get my weight down so I can put myself in a situation where I can choose what I want to choose. I only have 3 years for the age cut off.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
General Pimpin'

Just talked to our secretary and her hair dresser's house burned down. They gave her 10 minutes to grab what she could. Lost everything. So sad.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
did you guys get any rain last night at least? Out here by Laguna Seca we got some rain
Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
How is the fire today?

Quick Reply: Gnarly Santa Cruz Fire...