Glock 22 or Springfield 1911 ? (gun n00b here)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Question Glock 22 or Springfield 1911 ? (gun n00b here)

I know there are quite a few gun aficionados on here and was wondering what pistol you would prefer and why - Glock 22 or Springfield 1911?

A friend is selling them in good used condition and I have been wanting a gun for a while now. I believe the Glock is a 40 and the 1911 is a 45. I'm leaning towards the Glock because iirc it holds more bullets in the mag.

Also what would be a good/fair price for them? I haven't talked price at all... I'm not looking to lowball him, I just want a good/fair price for a nice quality used gun (part of the reason I haven't bought a gun yet is because of the cost brand new).
Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
We really can't make your mind up for you. You really need to try both back to back to see which you like better. They are two TOTALLY different guns and I have both, and prefer my Glock over the loaded springfield 1911... Though the 1911 looks nicer.

Rent both and try them out with at least 100 rounds through each. Get which fits you better.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
We really can't make your mind up for you. You really need to try both back to back to see which you like better. They are two TOTALLY different guns and I have both, and prefer my Glock over the loaded springfield 1911... Though the 1911 looks nicer.

Rent both and try them out with at least 100 rounds through each. Get which fits you better.
OK, awesome - I was hoping you'd post since you're the resident gunatic! I'm sure he would let me test both of them.

What would be a fair price for the glock? I don't think its been fired much...
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
A new glock is going to be just under $600, so for a pistol in good shape I'd say around $450.

Depends on the 1911, which 1911 is it? There's anything from the really cheap $400 GI model to the really nice expensive loaded models which are well over $1,000.

Just so you know, a Glock will be MUCH, MUCH more reliable then the 1911, and like you said, more capacity (even though you're limited to 10 in CA). Glock doesnt have to be cleaned, a 1911 does... You need to keep the 1911 clean as hell, whereas the glock just needs a quick wipe down, and it doesn't even need that. I've put over 10,000 rounds through my Glock 17 before cleaning it, not a single problem. Shoot ANY ammo you throw at it too, it will ALWAYS go bang, which can't be said for the 1911.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 AM

Thanks. I think I may jump on the Glock... he has a pretty extensive collection and tends to like nicer things so the 1911 may be out of my price range - I'd like to stay at $500 or preferably lower. Also, I've held a 10mm Glock that a different friend of mine owns and it fits my big hands fairly good. He says its similar to the 22.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 AM

Car Info: 05 PSM WRX
Glock 22 is a .40.
Most (though not all) 1911's are .45
.45 has been relatively hard to come by as of late. (recent events and all)
.40 has seemed a bit more attainable.. What generation is the glock?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tizzo27
Glock 22 is a .40.
Most (though not all) 1911's are .45
.45 has been relatively hard to come by as of late. (recent events and all)
.40 has seemed a bit more attainable.. What generation is the glock?
Thmmm.. not sure. Those are the only details I know right now, I was told second hand earlier tonight and havent talked to the seller yet.

Do certain generations have pros/cos?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
Someone find the "Glock torture test" for him, It's a huge part of the reason I got a 21. And is it me, or in the movie "US Marshals" Tommy lee's character talks about how much he loves Glocks?

I'd say buy what fits your hands, but then again, you can mod it with grips or shave it and what not, but it sounds like you want a gun you can shoot real well out of the box. So either way, go with what Brucelee said and try em out.

Last I check the difference in generations for glocks were the grip from the factory anything else, I wouldn't know
Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 AM

Car Info: 07 legacy
i love my glock 22 but the 1911 is purdy though
Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

single stack .45 semi auto?

no question, sig sauer line of P220...

double stack .40 semi auto?

no question... sig 226 if you want a large frame or the sig 229 for a smaller frame (and great for CCW use)...

Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by subie OCD
OK, awesome - I was hoping you'd post since you're the resident gunatic! I'm sure he would let me test both of them.

What would be a fair price for the glock? I don't think its been fired much...
He ain't the only gun nut here

However, as he said the key, is go out and shoot each gun. There are several places you can rent guns, shoot them, get a feel for them. I personally prefer the Springfield XD over the glock any day (I am NOT a glock fan, worst guns in the world IMHO, Talk to anyone who is a gunsmith they will tell you the same thing. There is a reason why the LAPD moved away from glock and went to sig)

Also, don't discount the current Sig, Ruger, or taurs. Take them all out for a spin, see what one fits what you want. I myself am more of a revolver type, I am looking at the new S&W hammerless stub nose .357, as soon as stupid CA gets it on the "approved" list.

Last edited by Overbear; 08-14-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Poly rifling is (mostly) untraceable.
Glock & HK use poly rifling.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Another Glock owner. I happen to love mine. It's been mostly abused and neglected. Works every time.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
This debate could go on forever...
Without a doubt the 1911 is a more accurate gun the single function trigger is unbeatable. Not to mention the general gun community has had 100 years to shake it down and perfect it. You'll find most serious competitors use the 1911 and many many special forces/LEOs/ Private security use them as duty weapons

The Glock hold more rounds and is more durable. The Glock in general is smaller (than most 1911's) and is internal hammer which makes it better for concealment.

In general, right now I would say the Glock has an edge if for no other reason than ammo cost. In fact I would probably looking at the Glock 19 with it's much cheaper 9mm ammo.
I'm assuming that this is your first gun, so both of these guns are "better" than you. The most critical thing is to shoot, A LOT (and have training) the 9mm's lower cost is going to let you do that
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
I can't believe nobody has asked this question yet.

What is the purpose for you purchasing this gun?

Is it self defense, target practice, just to have a gun because you can, etc.

Along with what everyone else has said about fit and what feels good to you and stuff, the two pistols are very different from each other and both have pros and cons. If you want something for self defense at home, get the glock and some good JHP ammo. You want that reliability of always going bang. If you want accuracy at the range, then the 1911 would be better (not to say glocks aren't accurate, just not as accurate (stock) as a 1911).

I own a 1911 and a few glocks. I love my glocks and would trust my life to them. My 1911 I prefer shooting at the range as it is nicer gun, more accurate, better trigger, etc.

looking at the current market however, .40 is a lot easier to find than .45 (at a reasonable price). I actually went out and bought a .40 barrel so I could shoot it out of my 20sf since .40 is the only thing I can ever find at walmart.

As a first gun, I would recommend the glock. Easier to use, more reliable, easier to clean/disassemble, etc. Oh and don't listen to brucelee about not needed to clean it. You should always clean it and properly lube it after every trip to the range. yes you can probably shoot 10,000 rounds through it and it won't hiccup, but it isn't good for the gun or the parts in it having it that dirty.

Quick Reply: Glock 22 or Springfield 1911 ? (gun n00b here)