Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Car Info: another turbo, but not an import
^amen bro!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
wooow "If you're not into street racing why do you need that?"

"For track racing" seem like a good enough reason for me, although maybe that'd be construed as resisting arrest by these folk
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 AM

Car Info: another turbo, but not an import
the article says that they were all in a PARKING LOT!!!

how could they be racing?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ptownBob
the article says that they were all in a PARKING LOT!!!

how could they be racing?
They didn't worry about logic because there was no evidence of street racing anyways
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I would just refuse a warrentless search and get a lawyer. Simple.

$500K!!!! What a waste of money.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glenspen
I would just refuse a warrentless search and get a lawyer. Simple.

$500K!!!! What a waste of money.
1)the try warrantless search
2)you refuse search
3)they say "this is a raid on street racing, your participation in the event gives us probable cause, you're now under arrest for something something"
4)you still get raped by the cops
5)you get lawyer
6)they go "oh, we shouldn't have done that, sorry"
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
cal

Car Info: 03
I thought the cars have to be running/moving for the cops to slam you. Does that mean they can go into someone's garage when they're working on their track car and give them tickets? this is ridiculous!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
My uncle is a retired detective out of riverside. I used to live there and have spent a lot of time there.

The import seen there is FILLED with stolen cars and parts. Similar to LA or Oakland. They should be spending more time dealing with that.

Or possibly using federal money to stop gang violence in the nearby areas.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cal
I thought the cars have to be running/moving for the cops to slam you. Does that mean they can go into someone's garage when they're working on their track car and give them tickets? this is ridiculous!
you can have whatever you want on the car in your garage, but a parking lot is usually a public place and you most likely drove the car there on public streets. I do think though that they definitely jumped a few gaps in the logic on this one
Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
you can have whatever you want on the car in your garage, but a parking lot is usually a public place and you most likely drove the car there on public streets. I do think though that they definitely jumped a few gaps in the logic on this one
parking lots of a business are private property, thats why stops signs in parking lots are only a suggestion
Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
http://www.pe.com/localnews/riversid...1.4234d9b.html

warrantless search : FTL

Parking Lot : "private property" , but if its out in open area they don't need a warrant to enter the lot.

Generally a complaint needs to be recorded from a business in a surrounding area regarding the gathering/cars zooming around, article pretty much says that happened. That's what they'd base 'probable cause' on, along with having pinched anyone going to/coming from a previous meet @ that location, which was probably done during the scouting for this raid. They'd also base the probable cause for the impounding vehicles with "questionable" parts based on that black market of stolen parts.

Assume that consistently attended G2G's/Meets are being monitored and/or attended by law enforcement by the way. The "Brian O'Connor" character in FnF isn't too far fetched if you think about it.

They seemingly have enough of a case to finish the job on at least half of those cars that got impounded if the owners cant prove where they got any 'odd' parts from. Those will end up getting crushed for sure.

Is it right? Heck no techno; especially since I'm sure that more people have been killed by bus drivers in Riverside county than the 2 people "killed by street racing" as cited in the article, and dont get me started on the gangs & drug trafficking.

I wonder how much it would cost the 'California Office of Traffic Safety' (which I've never heard of) to sponsor/provide grants to a non profit for on-track nights. If they are truly concerned about public safety and stemming street racing; how about they use the money that its (allegedly) street racing citizens paid in taxes and set up safe/legal ways for gatherings like these to happen. Oh I know, its because they cant generate revenue by sponsoring a positive event for the constituency.

Its not that far off from the spirit of using public safety funding to setup afterschool programs for at risk youth.

Oh and look; now there's essentially competition amongst law enforcement on which agency can rape its citizenry the hardest : http://www.chp.ca.gov/features/clec.html

Here's how they learn about taking on the 'scourge' of street racing : http://www.ots.ca.gov/Grants/files/p...20Contacts.pdf

DOJ article on street racing : http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/mime/open.pdf?item=1418

Ugh, how many more years till I get to run for President.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
1)the try warrantless search
2)you refuse search
3)they say "this is a raid on street racing, your participation in the event gives us probable cause, you're now under arrest for something something"
4)you still get raped by the cops
5)you get lawyer
6)they go "oh, we shouldn't have done that, sorry"
I'll wager most of these searches were consented to by scared owners who thought "I'm doing nothing wrong so why not?"

If the cops roll into a meet and want to see my Driving license/registration/insurane fine, that's their right, but if they want to look in my car they better have a warrant or they are SOL. Period.

The cop conducting a warrantless search or arresting me for no good reason would lose in court and get a black mark against their record. Then the lawyer takes over to recover any impound fees etc that I incurred.

Know your rights.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
10 Years ago you would be right; however California legislation in response to street racing/sideshows as well as Federal legislation like the Patriot Act/AntiTerrorism have redifined protected rights. I

Once you open your door to get in and grab that registration/insurance paperwork, they dont need a warrant...JUST probable cause of some sort or another.

If they can detain you (provided you are Mirandized) for up to 72 hours "just because" , they will damn sure search your car under the same banner. If your car gets impounded and theres so much as a tail light out, the judge wont refund any $$ your way. If its your constitutionally protected right to gather with other citizens, and they can swoop in and make you leave, your "rights" have already been bough & sold.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
You don't even have to show them license and registration unless it is a traffic stop.

Last edited by darkonion; 04-04-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

this is what i posted in another forum:

i'll chime on here since i happen to own of those "targeted" vehicles...

first and foremost, i believe the LE goes after these crowds is due to all of the public views of illegal STREET racings and sideshows, etc.

now, another problem i see is that who owns these cars.

most males in the 18-24 y/o bracket who i guess never learned the BILL OF RIGHTS while in school.

dont get me wrong. there are good busts and bad busts. in this case, i cant wait to get in a similar situation with my vehicle.

why? just because my vehicle came like that FROM the factory. so the huge wing and the gigantic hoodscoop MIGHT be a dead giveaway as a "street racer" look.

but then again, when was the last time "looking like" something was a crime?

if that's the case, then i have a GREAT civil rights lawsuit.

in fremont, where i live, there is an (in)famous cop who's sole duty is patrolling certain areas and looking out for cars with "illegal" modifications. in fact, he's like the area's expert on these things.

thing that **** me off:

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"
first thing i'll do? subpoena each and every officer's personal vehicle in that bust and see if all they own are yugos...

Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.
see my quote above about the majority drivers are 18-24 y/o and never knowing what the 4th and 5th amendments are all about...

sad, but too often, is the case that most are busted...

for the record? my ricer car is 99.999% stock. i just like the boy racer look.

Quick Reply: Glad to know that our tax money is being put to good use