Getting a WRX, but (will I be challenged by street racers?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Talking

Man, in michigan it is always the Mustangs that want to race and if it is a stock mustang it's funny cause they just don't have it and it pisses them off. I think when you buy a mustang you have to sign something that says that you will race everyone with a semi-sporty car. They just can't resist....I get the revving thing all the time here though....
Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Silver: I totally agree. They pick on everything, even though they usually get their sh*t whooped.

Nick
Old 04-08-2004, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
Nobody ever wants to race me.....there's a couple of possibilities for it, maybe it's cause I look stealthy and still have the stock rims, or I look like a computer geek in a 4 door, or maybe all the other ricers are to scared to try me. I dunno....I was always challenged in my 5.0, but not the Sube.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS
Originally posted by BluBuru
I've only been reved on once here in Santa Cruz, and it was so stupid that it was actually funny:

It was about 10 pm, steady rain, and heavy traffic on Water St.

Some teen-ager with a tenuous self-image pulls up next to me in his daddy's Lexus and revs like it's race time...

Thing is we're BOTH sitting in traffic, at least four cars back from the light... Not that I would have raced him anyway, but HOW could we POSSIBLY race there?

(Fastest 0-5mph time wins, perhaps?)

I just laughed at him and shook my head.

More horsepower than brains (and not all that much horsepower)
Mike
I had someone do that to me. They would wait for the guy in front of them to get a little space and then punch it and SLAM on the brakes. I just looked at my friend and said damn that guy's gonna get in an accident.

Originally posted by bushido
You know it's all in your driving habits really. Sure you'll get a few here and there if you are a mellow kick back kind of driver. But if you're anything like me behind the wheel. You'll get challanged by EVERYBODY. No Matter where i go there's always someone flexing. It's because i come up on them like a bat out of hell and come to a short stop at the light. Then i have a habit of reving the engine while waiting for the light to change. Even without looking over, many people not even the street racing types get pissed and don't want me infront of them.

i just laugh about it. But i'll still fly off the line and loose them.
This reminds me of a story. I was driving home one night and pulled up at a red light next to an old school Celica. I take off normally re: fast and I see the Celica slowly creeping up on me. Now the road comes to a stop sign and mine is the only lane going straight so I figure this guy wants to be a ***** and cut me off so i downshift and lay into it a little more. We got up to probably 45 in a 35 (which is how fast I drive there anyway). So the dude follows me to my apartment and pulls up by me after I park. He tells me I have a nice car and asks me if it's turbo. I tell me no then his passenger tells me this is the second time I've smoked them in the past 3 days. Apparently I've raced this guy TWICE and I didn't even know it. lol They seemed cool though so I just said thanks and went up to my apt.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:03 AM

this thread is long and i didn't read through all of it, so if this was mentioned, then sorry.

if you don't want to get revved on all the time, get a wagon. you get all that extra cargo space but still all the power.

-tj
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: N/A
I have had my STi for about 7 months now and have encountered a variety of situations. I love my car and usually people stare at me and the car. Plenty of people come up to me and ask about the car. I always try to be friendly and answer their questions.

I live in the bay area so there are plenty of ricers to go around. I've been revved on, peeled out on, tail-gated, and followed on the streets and freeway. I even had a 78 camaro with a drag-shute on it's rear bumper trying to get me to race. On the positive note, I've also come across a lot of people who own other cars (EVOs, s2000, etc.) give me compliments or a thumbs-up on the road. I personally never hate on other people, no matter what they may drive and I usually return the jesture.

There is no doubt that you will come across punks who want to race you and will do things to get you to race them. Just don't do anything stupid and you will be fine.

For those who really know my passion/interest for this car, they will know that I chose this car not so I can go race kids and act all cool. I'm sure most people here will agree that they are here for the same reason too. Just be safe and save the racing for the track.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
I have had my Sedan for almost 2 years now....and I have only been challenged 3 times since I got my car....

first one, was hilarious....it was a rent-a-Security-officer in his rent-a-officer ford ranger...complete with the big yellow lightbar on the roof...at a stop light around 9 pm...he revs on me....I looked at him and laughed, the 2 lanes merged together just past the intersection we were sitting at so the light turns, and he punches it (as much as a mid 90's ford ranger CAN "punch" it). Needless to say, I was so far ahead of him by the time I hit 2nd, it was just silly....the guy pulls up at the next light and asked if I had a V-8.....then I REALLY started laughing.....

second one, some wanna be ricer with mommys honda accord sedan. No contest....

finally....and most recently....I had a full size Chevy Silverado SS try to race me...by far, the biggest opponent, but also the best challenge.....but I STILL blew his doors off by atleast 4 car lengths.

I am a pretty mellow driver, and my car *LOOKS* pretty stock, other than my rims/tires, and window tint. Also, I do have my car lowered 2" but with 18's it looks like its supposed to be that low. And the Twin tipped Perrin exhaust looks pretty darn stock at a glance, or to the untrained eye. The rest of my mods you cant really see without looking for them.

Other than those incidences (sp?) I dont street race....and as soon as I get my stop techs installed, I will be ready to head to the race track....Otherwise Mt. Hami among other fairly well known *secluded* roads are where I get my fun in, usually with a group of other SUBY drivers as well.

-Ted
Old 04-22-2004, 04:56 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
in Sacramento, i am always getting revs from soccer-mom toting tanks. it is hilarious. i let them jump off the line and gloat in glory as they suck down 7 mpg's.

why bother with all of the stupid yahoos on the road these days?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sport Wagon
I live here in the Bay Area (East Bay)....most of these civics/integras don't even try....except this one following me really close on the way home....well, i showed him who's king!!!

Now kids.....don't try this at home!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:16 AM

Car Info: MY03 WRX Wagon Silver
Originally posted by wrxless
this thread is long and i didn't read through all of it, so if this was mentioned, then sorry.

if you don't want to get revved on all the time, get a wagon. you get all that extra cargo space but still all the power.

-tj
What he said.