Getting a WRX, but (will I be challenged by street racers?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by my2003wrx
The thing that happens to me most often is someone in their civic, rsx, celica, etc... and I are at a stoplight. Light goes green, and normal take off. Suddenly around 10mph, they gun it. o..k...

And there's no warning and I have not done anything to "bring it on" Not that I would have raced anyway.

:banana:

lol several preludes have done that to me, as well as some S2000's. Sometimes they **** me off by doing stuff like that and cutting me off, so I'll pass them just so I can get away from them.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:52 AM

Car Info: '21 STI
Don't worry about it. Just look over, point and laugh. They don't like that too much.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:55 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Get a wagon.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:12 AM

more of a ricer central area you live/drive in, more common it is to have idiots
i live in stockton, and i get some idiots every so often, especially when i come home from work when i get off at midnight. its getting better, as more and mroe knowledge of the wrx is going out through different import mags (plus for publicity in our favor) so most ricers won't mess with subarus in general if they know about it. but i agree...i'm building up my rs right now just to sound mean so i odn't have to deal with any of it.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:34 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Nobody else controls your throttle foot. If you have a digital camera, take a pic of the kid who is challenging you to street race and post it here. Try to get a clear shot of their face and another of their car.

We will have some laughs at what they are driving and you won't get a ticket for speeding/street racing.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX Yellow
I've had my car for a year
when I first got it, I had several encounters with people wanting to test me. I was driving to my mom's house in San Rafael and some total preppy with his girlfriend in a brand new convertible M3 with UMass plates pulled up on me and gave the big thumbs down...wtf???

well, I had just recently gotten out of the break in so I bit and we took off up 101 in the twisties after the GG bridge. I have to admit it was fun and I out drove him for a few minutes until the readar detector went off on Ka band. that's when I quit and he flew by. I was SO hoping he would get nailed but the cop ended up being on the wrong side of the road...doh!

also, when I was coming back from class at about 10 at night, driving north on the Embarcaderro...there was no traffic and a few lights so I would get someone wanting to go about once a week. Someimes I bit, sometimes I didn't feel like it.

I'm older and wiser now....plus the challenges seem to have gone down a lot. But everyone here is right, you only race if YOU want to....why you even care what the guy in that crappy civic thinks is beyond me.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:32 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
A while ago, while I was in the turn lane at Sharp Park and Skyline in San Bruno at a red light, a civic with two kids pulls up next to me and revs on me. He pulled up really close to this Excursion SUV in front to get even with my window, so he could rev and (I guess) see the look on my face.

I just looked at him and started laughing... and laughing... and laughing. He looked at me like I was nuts, and had that constipated/insulted look babies have when they just dumped a load in their diapers. He looked over at his buddy in the passenger seat, who was looking just as confused and insulted. I was still laughing when the light turned green. I made my turn, he makes to follow... and he is stuck behind the Excursion, with the nose of his civic nearly touching the bumper because he pulled so far forward to get even with my window, that he couldn't change lanes behind me to follow. I don't think he ever realized what I was laughing about. I've seen him once or twice, and he avoids looking at me or trying to get my attention now... I guess I bruised his ego or something.

Every now and then, I indulge the whim to unleash on some idiot ricer, but I find that pointing and laughing gets so much more props than racing and crashing. Besides, I have much better things to do than to school some ricer punks about why I can care less about their egos.

I rarely get revved on anymore and my car looks basically stock (except with Morrettes, CF side covers, mesh foglight covers, and light tint). I guess all the magazine coverage has made ricers smart about the capabilities of our WRXs. However, people will rev. ANYONE with issues will rev on you, from ricers to the higher-end cars, or the domestic muscles and wannabe muscles (turbo neon/PT cruiser). Just remember, you bought a fast car with good all-around capabilities, and laugh at them.

shadowcat

Last edited by shadowcat; 03-31-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally posted by OwlBoogie
Get a wagon.
I agree.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:38 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by OwlBoogie
Get a wagon.
yup... what he said
Old 03-31-2004, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
I've gotten it a few times. I live near SF State and Stonestown so it's bound to happen with all the students and young boys trying to prove that their hot ****....WHATEVER.

Like people said already, gas is too damn expensive and it's just not worth it.

I just ignore them and if i see them taking off at a red light....great. I don't need to prove **** to anyone
Old 03-31-2004, 10:09 AM

Car Info: _
I always blow them kisses...

nothing pisses off a ricer more than that.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:12 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Every once in a while it is fun to snack on a ricer just to make shure they know their place in the cirlcle of life. There is this riced out neon that kept talkin sh*t about my 2003 WRX and I spanked the sh*t out of him. Now with the STi, he wont even talk about me anymore. The only decent race I have been in for about a year was my STi vs. an EVO. I won.:banana: Goin to the track Sunday to get the speed bug out of me.

Nick
Old 03-31-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by gooder77
I've gotten it a few times. I live near SF State and Stonestown so it's bound to happen with all the students and young boys trying to prove that their hot ****....WHATEVER.

Also the fact that there's always a cop parked on the corner of where the train stop (in front of SFSU) is makes it stupid for people to start stuff there. But usually at night there's always ricers parked in the Stonestown parking lot looking for races.

Quick Reply: Getting a WRX, but (will I be challenged by street racers?)