Getting a title for an abandoned car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Getting a title for an abandoned car.

Is it possible? Is there any way to track down the owner? There's an abandoned Subaru GL-10 in the parking lot of my apartment complex that's in really nice shape. It has several years worth of dust on it, and the plates haven't been renewed since '02. It has 2 notes on it threatening to tow, but I left one on the windshield anyway in hopes that the owner might find it. If I can't track down the owner, is there any way I can make the car mine? It would be a pity for it to get towed away and end up in the wrong hands/the crusher/scrap yard.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Car Info: 96' Impreza GM4
Originally Posted by kellie
If I can't track down the owner, is there any way I can make the car mine?
Steal it.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
know anyone with a pick up truck?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

It's in my apartment complex! All I'd have to do is push it 100 feet to my parking spot. :P I want it to be legally mine, damnit.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
you need a tow company for a friend and they can tow it and then put a lein on it. If no one claims it it belongs to the tow company. Then it can be yours ...
Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Ooo, good to know. I'm going to talk to my apartment manager on Monday and see if he can find the owner through the parking space number. The more I think about this car, the more I want it.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
well your asking urself the wrong question, its in a parking spot which i assume is given out specifically, so it obviously belongs to someone no? because the manager would have towed it long ago if it wasnt anyones, plus they would need to re assign that spot if no one lived and it was abandoned
Old 03-20-2005, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
well your asking urself the wrong question, its in a parking spot which i assume is given out specifically, so it obviously belongs to someone no? because the manager would have towed it long ago if it wasnt anyones, plus they would need to re assign that spot if no one lived and it was abandoned
Well the parking lot here is far from full, at least half of the spots are vacant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cars weren't in their correct parking spaces. I'm definitely going to ask though, thats step number one. The car 2 spots down from mine and the car across from mine are both abandoned and have expired tags from several years ago. Same with the motorcycle in the next row down, and a few other cars that I haven't seen leave their spots since I moved here. The apartment complex just switched management, so I think the manager is taking things one step at a time, and he hasn't quite addressed the parking lot issue yet. I'm going to ask him about the car tomorrow afternoon, because I NEEEED it. It deserves me. If/when I buy it and drive it to meets, you guys are going to tell me I'm crazy, and you won't think it's nearly as cool as I do. Oh well, I just have a thing for 80's Subies.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I'm going to ask him about the car tomorrow afternoon, because I NEEEED it. It deserves me. If/when I buy it and drive it to meets, you guys are going to tell me I'm crazy, and you won't think it's nearly as cool as I do. Oh well, I just have a thing for 80's Subies.
Go for it, I love those cars. I miss my '88 RX.. If anyone teases you, they shouldn't be allowed to drive a Subaru.

-Jacob
Old 03-20-2005, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Go for it, I love those cars. I miss my '88 RX.. If anyone teases you, they shouldn't be allowed to drive a Subaru.

-Jacob
You had an '88 RX? I had two '88 RX's, and I miss them SO much. I screened potential buyers for 2 or 3 months before I sold the good one, and the guy who bought it is taking better care of it than I ever could. He also promised to sell it back to me if/when he ever gets rid of it.

I'll get pictures of the GL-10 later today.

Here's the nice one:

And the parts car:
Old 03-20-2005, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
You had an '88 RX?

OMG.. That's HOT. Yep, just like that white one. It was sweet. Killed by a papaya truck driver and replaced with a '91 SE-R that wasn't nearly as fun. My first car at 17.

-Jacob
Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
DOOOO IT!

edgar,
Old 03-20-2005, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
It's in my apartment complex! All I'd have to do is push it 100 feet to my parking spot. :P I want it to be legally mine, damnit.

i got a f-250 turbo diesel haha
Old 03-20-2005, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
lol u live in a strange apartment complex... long ago they onced lived there and now they disappeared..... *creepy*
Old 03-20-2005, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

I tried to go take pics of it, but my camera died after I took one. I checked, and the car is FWD, so that really sucks. I think it's still worth buying though, the body on it is in almost perfect condition and the interior appears to be REALLY well maintained. There's a teddy bear on the dash and lacy things over the rear seats so I think the car belongs/belonged to an old lady. Here's the only picture I got:

Quick Reply: Getting a title for an abandoned car.