Getting coilovers soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Getting coilovers soon

I will be getting the BC's, they arrive tomorrow. The rears don't have camber adjustment so would I need to pickup camber bolts (probably from GST) while I am at it? I will only be lowering the rear probably by an inch or so...And probably an inch and a half in the front. Unless I should go a bit lower? I am open to lower ride heights, I just don't want to scrape a ton.

Camber in general. Whats a safe camber to run at without having to worry about wearing out my tires on the inside. Its going to be a daily driven car, so I need things reliable. Should I just stick with no camber, or maybe like a half or a degree? I am not very educated in the lower suspension realm so...forgive me :/.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
I run 1.3 drop in the front and 1.0 in the back. I used to be 1.5 front and 1.3 rear and that was kinda low.

My setup is negative 2.0 front camber and negative 1.5 rear. 0 toe and 0 cross caster. I like it very much and took the information from other suby owners that have tested this setup.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Its not really camber that will kill you, its toe.

Running -1.0 or -1.25 for is fine for a daily driver as long as you get it at 0 toe.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
pwn

Now do I want more or less camber in the rear compared to the front? Or do I want that to be even? Thanks .
Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by pwn
Now do I want more or less camber in the rear compared to the front? Or do I want that to be even? Thanks .
Sporty street driving I would go for something like -1.1 up front and -0.7 in the rear.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by pwn

more in front.

I currently run -1.3 up front and -1 in the year.

Next go around I'm putting plates back on the front so I'll probably run -1.8 and -1.

I'd say for street daily driving. a -1.3 and -.8 is pretty good.

so would say -1.3 and 0.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:24 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
on the street I ran 2.5 front and 1.5 rear. my car was pretty low though and I did auto-x and do a lot of cornering. imo anywhere from 1 to 2 degrees of camber up front and 1 degrees in the rear is good for the streets
Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 PM

oh I want to also add. depending on how hard u drive, if u only run 1 to 1.5 degrees camber up front, u might experience a lot of understeer
Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
+1 for 0 toe
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM
pwn

Originally Posted by dynamicprojeKtz
oh I want to also add. depending on how hard u drive, if u only run 1 to 1.5 degrees camber up front, u might experience a lot of understeer
IE if I'm not driving it hard, I'll have to sacrafice a bit? Although that makes sense though...given the nature of camber and how it works.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I noticed a great deal of response on turn in when I went with -2.0 front camber, and as much caster as I could get(using Noltec Camber/Caster plates).

With the WRX you want to get a bit more negative camber up front for better turn in, more caster for reducing the understeer, and a stiff rear sway bar for back end rotation.

I have wagon spec Cobb front and rear sway bays, and the rear is set at the stiffest and the front end feels 100x better then stock.
Just don't go for the slammed look, it's no good for speed bumps.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 PM
pwn

Yea right now I have the cobb rear sway for the sedan set on highest. Feels good ^^. Ok, so more negative camber in the front. Two degrees is a lot isnt it? Wouldn't that result in some tire wear like http://www.familycar.com/classroom/I...n_t_camber.gif ?
And yea I definitely don't want the slammed look - it looks like I would be overdoing it and also I really don't want to scrape :/. Am I able to set caster with what I would have?

--edit--

I'm gona have camber bolts in the rear too, if I didn't mention that before.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM

just go with 2 degrees in the front. youll get great turn in response as mcdrama suggested. if you have a rear sway bar already, your car might have a tendency to oversteer once you put the coilovers on. i noticed that when i installed my coilovers, it already gave me some oversteer, so i added a perrin front sway bar with adjustable poltec endlinks, and it gave the car a really nice and neutral feel through turns. it didnt understeer, but would oversteer when you wanted it to if you catch what im saying
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM
pwn

No I get what you are saying. I have the cobb front sway bar right now as well and I already get what you describe. In fact its really easy to get oversteer. I have rear endlinks as well. Maybe when I put my coilovers on I will kick down my sway bar a notch if its too much.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 PM

pwn, do you or did you work at atc in dublin?

Quick Reply: Getting coilovers soon