GC8 Race Car Build Thread at EQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX Wagon, and 99 RS
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Mind pm'ing what you paid for the cage? I've got a GH that's got the same thing going on. Looking for cage quotes.
Well, the previous owner had the cage done, but I think that he paid about 7k for cage and seam welding. Of course, he spend like 2 solid weeks prepping the chassis himself. You are probably looking at 5-7k just for the cage??
Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by fizay
I think the proper nomenclature is "quack"?
I like that..unfortunately, the doc does not mean medical doctor. So when I went back to grad school in engineering, I made friends with some undergrad neighbors...and they nicknamed me "Doc" because: a) We were watching Tombstone, and Doc Holliday's smart-*** attitude reminded them of me, and b) I was getting my doctorate. It kind of stuck.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Awesome project, one thing to put out there is be careful if your using the little V-Band 38mm Tial's as there is a known issue with them failing. The guys at AFI turbo went through I think 13 of them and I watched the FXMD Acura guys have to fab a complete new system at the track to remove 2 of them and run 2 44mm's instead.

Something about the inner machining and the heat transfer taking out the diaphram, ultimately the issue at LV RTA with FXMD cost them a motor.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Interesting...thanks for the info! There wouldn't happen to be a discussion about this posted somewhere would there??
Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Awesome project, one thing to put out there is be careful if your using the little V-Band 38mm Tial's as there is a known issue with them failing. The guys at AFI turbo went through I think 13 of them and I watched the FXMD Acura guys have to fab a complete new system at the track to remove 2 of them and run 2 44mm's instead.

Something about the inner machining and the heat transfer taking out the diaphram, ultimately the issue at LV RTA with FXMD cost them a motor.

Mike
Wow! That is some awesome info there. I had gotten a 44 before I knew the 38 came in v-band. I was kinda mad at myself for not seeing that the 38 was available in v-band, now Im happy
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Car Info: 07 black piggy STI, 1996 Integra LS
Saw this when I was up at EQ.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
been following your build at rs25. so sick its going to be dope when completely finished
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by doc_randy
Hi Mike,
Interesting...thanks for the info! There wouldn't happen to be a discussion about this posted somewhere would there??
Not sure to be honest, I got the info from the guys at AFI turbo and was surprised. The owner actually machined out a couple of off the shelf Tial's to make it work for his setup if I recall the conversation correctly. He stated that it's an issue with manufacturing clearances that when extreme heat is at play leads to the diaphram contacting the surrounding CNC'd piece and ultimately failing.

The next day both Tial 38mm's failed in the way he had described to me on the FXMD NSX which ran enough boost to split the IC, Somehow they managed to fabricate a new section on their car with a 44mm in and tried to run the last timed session but the earlier 38's failing had already done the damage to the motor.

Mike
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
...Somehow they managed to fabricate a new section on their car with a 44mm in and tried to run the last timed session but the earlier 38's failing had already done the damage to the motor.
Wowzers, not very awesome for us grassroots fellas on a tight budget...that would be pretty devastating.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Car looks really good Randy, and even better in person! Glad to see you got that steering problem worked out It was weird how much longer it was. Subscribed!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
Originally Posted by doc_randy
I like that..unfortunately, the doc does not mean medical doctor. So when I went back to grad school in engineering, I made friends with some undergrad neighbors...and they nicknamed me "Doc" because: a) We were watching Tombstone, and Doc Holliday's smart-*** attitude reminded them of me, and b) I was getting my doctorate. It kind of stuck.
Cool man, I was just giving ya a hard time. Of course, now that all of us know you hold a PhD in some sort of engineering, we'll be scrutinizing your build much more critically! Can I get an amen?

EDIT: Per cooling stuff and radiator relocation, I think LIC is releasing (if not already released) a pretty trick radiator/oil cooler unit, so that might a little more cost effective than rerouting airflow and fluids to the rear of the car.

Last edited by fizay; 05-12-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Car Info: Fast

Mike
I was under the impression that the MVS can have water routed through it for cooling. Does anybody know more about this?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by aboothman
I was under the impression that the MVS can have water routed through it for cooling. Does anybody know more about this?
Yea I think Mikey from FXMD mentioned that to me, I have to imagine that's a little of a convoluted setup and certainly not something I would even entertain doing on a track car. I think his remark on it was "F%$k doing that, I'll revert to what I know works"

Mike
Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Car Info: Fast
Haha true. If I remember correctly, those of us using a dump tube can use a 44mm as the inlet is the same size...providing there is enough room for the monster 44mm. I could be wrong though...
Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by fizay
Cool man, I was just giving ya a hard time. Of course, now that all of us know you hold a PhD in some sort of engineering, we'll be scrutinizing your build much more critically! Can I get an amen?

EDIT: Per cooling stuff and radiator relocation, I think LIC is releasing (if not already released) a pretty trick radiator/oil cooler unit, so that might a little more cost effective than rerouting airflow and fluids to the rear of the car.

Hehe...there is nobody that is going to be more critical of the build than me Just ask Ed

Is there any info online about LIC's radiator/oil cooler system? Although I will probably stick with something custom from EQ as:
1) there is not as much space up from in the GC when compared with the GD
2) Kelly (EQ's fabrication guy) does extremely high quality work
3) I am already rerouting stuff to the rear of the car...like the Accusump and oil cooler. Relocating the radiator sounds fun, but when I think about it, perhaps not the best idea in the world! Running oil lines sounds a lot more doable than cooling lines. Kelly is pushing for a vmount setup with a rotated intake manifold...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
That sounds logical. This is all I could find on the Radiator/Oil Cooler on the nets. There are actual pictures on the LIC motorsports facebook group/page

http://www.licmotorsports.com/blog/c...ts-coming.html

not sure if this link works:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=215407604539

Quick Reply: GC8 Race Car Build Thread at EQ