Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
FYI: Salmonella found in chinese spice distribution

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1745208.html

47 area businesses on tainted-spice list
ShareThisBy Niesha Lofing
nlofing@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Apr. 1, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 14A
More than three dozen Asian restaurants and eight supermarkets in the Sacramento region are now listed as customers of a Bay Area company under state and federal scrutiny after its spice products were linked to an outbreak of salmonella.

The list was released late Monday night by the state Department of Public Health, the same day investigators expanded the recall of U.F. Union International Food Co.'s spice products to include some of the company's Uncle Chen line of pepper products.

The company voluntarily recalled its Lian How brand peppers and other spices Saturday after health officials "isolated Salmonella from an open container of Lian How White Pepper, which was found at a restaurant where some outbreak victims ate," according to a statement on the company's Web site.

So far the salmonella outbreak has sickened 42 people in four states. Thirty-three cases have been reported in California. Locally, five cases were reported in Sacramento County and one case was reported in El Dorado County.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:15 PM

And in case people think it was a late April Fool's joke:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/ne.../PH09-022.aspx
DATE: March 30, 2009

NUMBER: PH09-022

SACRAMENTO – Dr. Mark Horton, director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), today announced the recall of Union International Food Company spices has been widened, and now includes pepper sold at retail stores under the Uncle Chen product name.

White and black pepper products from the company’s Union City facility in the Bay Area have been associated with an outbreak of salmonella that has sickened 42 people in four states, including 33 in California. No deaths have been reported. The illnesses among California residents have occurred in 15 counties in Central and Northern California.

A list of retailers that sell the Uncle Chen product line is available at Union Itl Food - Uncle Chen - Retail Distribution. The products include four varieties of pepper: whole and ground Uncle Chen's White Pepper and whole and ground Uncle Chen's Black Pepper. All four products are in 5 ounce containers.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Car Info: Car
We sell China toxic investments. China sells us toxic toys, drywall, and food.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
they keep their toxic toothpaste and milk to themselves though.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
What's this? China producing absolute CRAP? China not having ANY sort of quality control?

Wow, this is all news to me...

I hate China so damn much... It's amazing how low quality EVERYTHING they make is.. I'd be VERY wary eating ANY kind of packaged food from China... The Chinese food I eat is made from ingredients from the USA. (China Chili in Fremont, best Chinese food ever)

I wonder if China will ever produce something high quality? I think they should start with the food they eat... Any country that eats dogs is a country I don't trust or like. I look at them as cannibals. eating dogs is just wrong... It'd be like eating a Chimpanzee or something.

Cliff notes: I hate China, worst country in the world... Even worse then Liberia. It's one of the few countries I would NOT visit!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM

LOL, sorry to tell you... but China Chili is junk!
And it's on the list!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
What's this? China producing absolute CRAP? China not having ANY sort of quality control?

I hate China so damn much... It's amazing how low quality EVERYTHING they make is.. I'd be VERY wary eating ANY kind of packaged food from China... The Chinese food I eat is made from ingredients from the USA. (China Chili in Fremont, best Chinese food ever)

I wonder if China will ever produce something high quality? I think they should start with the food they eat... Any country that eats dogs is a country I don't trust or like. I look at them as cannibals. eating dogs is just wrong... It'd be like eating a Chimpanzee or something.

Cliff notes: I hate China, worst country in the world... Even worse then Liberia. It's one of the few countries I would NOT visit!
people eat dog here
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by pter
And it's on the list!
oh my the pwnage
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
9 to 5 mod

thanksf or the heads up OP

health stuff is never a joke
Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by pter
And it's on the list!
You're crazy! Thats why it was rated the best Chinese restaurant in the tri-city area 6 years running.

I guess everyone has different taste, and I prefer China Chili although I havent had all their dishes... Their soups are AMAZING! Their Chow Mein is kick *** too... Thats what they are know for, their soups and chow mein... They have other dishes that are great, but their won ton soup as well as their hot and sour kick ***!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
people eat dog here
You eat dog here, and you also post way more then you should be allowed. Whats with all the individual posts? Why not quote everything into one post? Did this thread really need your 3rd post? I think gnot. (Yeah, I said GNOT with a G in front of it, what? What?)
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM

You're crazy! Thats why it was rated the best Chinese restaurant in the tri-city area 6 years running.

I guess everyone has different taste, and I prefer China Chili although I havent had all their dishes... Their soups are AMAZING! Their Chow Mein is kick *** too... Thats what they are know for, their soups and chow mein... They have other dishes that are great, but their won ton soup as well as their hot and sour kick ***!
That's because Chinese people aren't allowed to vote

I know they're just too lazy.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE

What about the food that are in Cali that has Salmonella, why don't u complain about that? Not every country is perfect.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by phoryu2nv
What about the food that are in Cali that has Salmonella, why don't u complain about that? Not every country is perfect.
Well, this isn't the first time China has sent us infected goods. Remember when they sent us poisonous childrens toys? It happens so often now that it hardly makes the news... lol

I did a really extensive paper on this subject about 4 years back for a class I had at SJSU. Some really REALLY nasty stuff goes on in their food production plants... Some stuff that can't even be shipped to the USA due to health concerns. I feel bad for the Chinese people, they have to deal with a lot of crap, and that includes communism! It's no wonder why there are so many Chinese people here in the states.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
in china, they once have artificial eggs. if you ate it, you died.

Quick Reply: FYI: Salmonella found in chinese spice distribution