FYI: Bay area Service centers...(an interesting story)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:46 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza 2.5RS
FYI: Bay area Service centers...(an interesting story)

Hi All,

Let me start with a bit of hisory. I own a 2003 Impreza 2.5RS. From day one I had problems with the car. It only has 24000 miles on it and several repairs were performed. The ignition coil was replaced, the clutch was replaced, the ECU reflashed... On each occasion dealing with SOA and the local service facilities was a nightmare.
Here is what happened this week:
Over the weekend the car exhibited signs of a binding differential. I waited till monday and drove to Carlsen Subaru. In the past they repaired this car without a problem. I show up at 7:30 am, the service shop opens, I greet the service advisor with a:" How are you this morning?" Then I told him what happened, and asked if I can leave my car here for service and get a loaner or a rental to go to work. Jon Sui, jumped at me screamed and told me that he doesn't have to work on my car, he doesn't care about SOA or warranty, and if I say one more word to him I can get out of his shop. I was in shock, speachless. I quietly walk away and call SOA. While I'm talking to the customer service rep, I see a police car driving in. The SOA service rep tells me that because this shop doesn't want to work on this car, I have to take it somewhere else, that this is my car, my responsibility, and I can do whatever I want with it. Mean while the cops aproach me. After talking to them for a few minutes, they cool off and tell me that I should really report these guys to the BAR. At this time the tow truck arrives and takes my car to Stevens Creek Subaru. The guys there seem nice they write me up a repair order and set me up with a rental. I was so shocked by all of this I couldn't even go to work. Stevens Creek call me back 3 hours later and inform me there is nothing wrong with the car. I'm at a loss. I go back there get in the car and ... it is OK. I pay them $136 for inspection and rental, and go home. As soon I get off the freeway, the car is doing it again only worse now. I figure OK maybe it has to be hot off the freeway to exhibit the problem. Tuesday morning, I show up at Stevens Creek at 7:30am and see the service advisor. I tell him:" Look, the car is doing it now. Take 3 minutes try to park it and you will see, hear and feel the problem." His reply is:"We don't do that." Wait for the technitian to drive the car. I tell him that by the time the tech gets to it it will be cold againg. His reoply was:"So there is nothing wrong with it then." I make him stay there and drive the car around him to demonstrate the problem. He says:"Oh yeah, I heard that, don't worry we'll fix it." I get another rental and go to work. He calls me 3 hours later and tells me there is nothing wrong with my car. I'm way past furious. I call Subaru of Santa Cruz. Bruce says come on down here and we'll fix it. I get my car back, and drive to Santa Cruz. In 30 seconds Bruce verified and diagnosed the problem.
Subaru of Santa Cruz is fixing the car now. When they are done I will make the life of Stevens Creek and Carlsen Subaru Service Centers very misarable.
I ask my fellow Subaru owners of the Bay Area to be ware of the Carlsen and Stevens Creek Subaru. I won't even mention Ron Price. They are a special breed of *******s.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Old 02-12-2004, 09:34 AM

Car Info: GDA
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
i don't get it

anyhow, sorry to hear about your problem. i'm actually waiting back from carlsen subaru to confirm they have the parts in before i take the car to them to have some tranny work done. there have been reports of malcontent with carlsen, but nothing of this calibre. that really bugs me -- have you done anything to provoke it? how many times have you dealt with carlsen? what was the nature of your past interaction with them? also, did they give you fair warning about warranty denial the next time they suspect that you abused the car/warranty?

as for stevens creek, i wouldn't take my car to them even if my engine caught on fire right in front of the dealership. burn, baby burn....

db

Last edited by doughboy; 02-12-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
bruce (and the rest of santa cruz subaru) > *

now, how are u going to go about getting your diagnose money back since obviously their ineptitude is not your responsibility?

Old 02-12-2004, 09:48 AM

I did not have time to provoke it. I said two sentences. "How are you this morning?" and "I would like to leave my car here to get fixed and in the mean while I needs a rental or a loaner" Very reasonable request from a Subaru Service Center. I think that SOA had some thing to do with it. Now that I look back at this. Jon Sui was not too hostile untill he ran the VIN numbers on the car.
I was really confused since a few month ago the ECU had to be reflashed and they took good care of me, gave me a rental and I thought highly of them untill the showdown on monday.
Now that I've been dealing with 4 Service departments, I say that Santa Cruz Subaru is by far most professional and knowledgeble of all. I've been an ASE certified mechanic in the past and guys in Santa Cruz made a good impression on me.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:54 AM

odyss3y:

Once my car is fixed I plan to give the service director of Stevens Creek a choice to reimburse me fully. If he declines, I will report this incident to the BAR, BBB, Consumer Affairs, California Air Resources Board and the EPA. The amount is too small to take to small claims court. If I don't get the money back, the least I can do is to make their life a living HELL. Since I worked as a automotive technician in the past I know a few buttons to push.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon black
good luck cheers&ENJOY!!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:14 AM

Car Info: '01 GM6 Coupe Blue Ridge Pearl
We could have told you most of that. =)

Bruce@santacruz=great

Stevens Creek=spotty at best, criminal at worst.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:17 AM

Darwin:

I'm kind of new to Bay Area and to Subaru all together. I guess live and learn... I'm just astonished to how bad this could get.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

I find this hard to believe at Carlsen, unless you've tried to scam SOA for service before. What's the whole story behind your VIN, and what they would've seen on your record when they tried to run it.

Unless you were crazy and rude at Carlsen, they would've helped you. They are always VERY VERY busy at 7:30am...you can't just barge in and expect to be diagnosed that day. It's called an appointment.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:21 AM
VIP Member

Nevermind...I think I realize what the deal is/was:

From this thread: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=38512 it looks like you had some aftermarket engine managment and "took it off for warranty repair". You deserve what you got!

Hi all,

I have a PROecm v.II chip that I took off for warranty repair and would like to sell. The chip works well. I just want to get some thing else with the money I get for it. Original price $249. Will sell for $155 obo. Let me know if interested.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 AM
xom

Car Info: 04 GTO 5.7
Bruce and Co. rock! Very friendly and easy going.
But pro's as well. Extra bonus for living in SC I guess.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM

Nevermind...I think I realize what the deal is/was:

From this thread: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=38512 it looks like you had some aftermarket engine managment and "took it off for warranty repair". You deserve what you got!
First of all,

I did not barge in and expect my car to get worked on immediatly. I was very polite. I asked them to get to it as soon as they have time. As far as the above quote, it was later proved that the after market chip (which was a waste of money in the first place) was not the cause of problems. There was a service bulletin that required the CPU to be reflashed if the code registeres more than one cylinder misfire at the same time. They fixed it and I had no more drivability problem. The whole thing is very starnge to me, because at the time of ECU reflash the Carlsen Subaru were very nice, and took care of the problem. As far as SOA goes they are very bad people to be polite.
http://home.sprynet.com/~mklphoto/SUBARU1.HTM
Old 02-12-2004, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

What else would the Carlsen guy have seen in your record that instantly changed his tune?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:40 AM

What else would the Carlsen guy have seen in your record that instantly changed his tune?
I don't know. That's the mistery. I know you've never met me, but I can assure you that I'm a very calm easy going person. Jon Sui could at least told me what was happening. Calling the Police on me, screaming at me!!! I was literally shocked and speachless. The cops could not figure out what the problem was either. They observed me being very calm and just trying to get the car fixed. We were all shocked.

Quick Reply: FYI: Bay area Service centers...(an interesting story)