Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Furries aficionados acquire within -or- cool *** neuroscience demonstration

What the I don't even...

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-ce...ears-20110514/

Neurowear: a fancy term for brain-controlled cat ears

Over the past couple of years we’ve been hearing more about controlling devices with your brain. The examples I’ve seen usually involve some form of device that covers the head and can pick up on your brain waves. With development they could help people who have no other way to input information, for example, due to a disability or injury that leaves them unable to use their arms or hands. Alternatively, they could enhance existing interactions further.

But one of the first commercial uses of brain wave input has no real point at all other than to make you smile or possibly even laugh the first time you see it in action.

The product is called Necomimi, and it has been produced by a Japanese company called Neurowear. It consists of a headband that contains a brain wave sensor that can effect the positioning of cat ears attached to the same band and controlled by two small motors. Yes, you read that correctly, brain input is being used to control cat ears.

As the advert above shows, it’s great if you want a person you are looking at or thinking about to know you like them. Other than that, and as a general mood gauge, I can’t see much use for this accessory. The novelty value is soon going to disappear, as will the life in the batteries it uses.

Those interested (really?) will have to wait until the end of the year to buy one, at which point Neurowear may have a few more brain-activated accessories ready to sell.