Fuel Smell near tank/fuel pump area

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Fuel Smell near tank/fuel pump area

very recently I have noticed a smell of fuel inside the cabin and near the gas tank. about two months ago i installed a walbro and changed my fuel filter all at once since it was at about 60k. the fuel smell is only started this week. there is no smell in the engine bay at all so i ruled out the injectors/fuel rails.

i took out the cover for the fuel pump assembly and primed the pump by turning the key a few times. there are no visible leaks from any of the hoses up top, but the smell is definitely there. i have narrowed it down to either the fuel pump or filter but wanted to make sense of a few things.

1. how can you tell if you have a fuel pump leak if the fuel pump is sealed inside the tank? would you still be able to smell it if is coming from in there?

2. how can you tell if it is leaking? aside from obvious loose connections/hoses the assembly is submerged in gasoline inside the tank the whole assembly is going to smell of gas and there is no way to see it working as it is sealed inside.

i am going to pull the assembly out to look for anything obvious but any help would be appreciated.

mods are
vf43
walbro fuel pump
sti injectors
custom map for mods via eq tuning (need to go back and get a real tune)
i also did the 60k service recently about a month ago myself
Old 09-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
There Is most likely a rip or tear In the gasket that goes between the tank and the metal access door, Or one of the little nubs Is not pulled through the metal door.
I did the same thing when I Installed my fuel pump a few years ago, I forgot one of the little nubs and I would always get a smell of gas at random times In the cabin.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Are you getting a CEL light? Some times you can get a CEL as the ECU keeps tabs on the fuel tank pressure.

Are you sure you washed your hands and didn't get any gas on the seats or trunk ? Which might lead to the smell and no CEL or leak.. You can pressure check the whole system with a mityvac pump. Or since the fuel tank pressurizes itself, open it all back up down to the tank again. But some soapy water around the access point. Turn the key on and pressurize the system and see if you get some bubbles. Your charchol canister is all intact and the fuel tank vapor valve under the intake manifold is all working right?

Last edited by old.guy; 09-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM

no cel's. the other thing i noticed is the noise the fuel pump makes. i know it "whines" a bit when you turn the key to prime it, but does it make that noise constantly when the car is on and idling? i only noticed it because i turned it on with the back seat off so i don't know if it's normal and just more pronounced w the seat off, or if that is a sign of a problem.

didn't have time to pull it apart today. i will check it out tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 PM

Its normal for you to hear the pump when the key Is first turned and the engine Is off especially with the back seat off. During Idle the pump will be at 33% load not 100% like when you smash the throttle.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM

^^^thanks.

one thing i did notice now that i have the unit off (not sure why i didn't notice when i first pulled the unit) is that my assembly does not have the plastic bellows covering the pillow attached to the pump. i wonder if that has anything to do with it and more so i am wondering why mine didn't come with one in the first place! :/
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
dude walk away before it blows up
Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by downsti
dude walk away before it blows up
the car has been sitting in my garage since i noticed the smell. i am cognizant of working around gasoline and it's not going to blow up. i have a strong suspicion that the missing piece has something to do with it. everything else looked fine when i pulled the unit (hoses, clamps, etc.)

this is the part that's missing
Name:  FuelPump.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  12.9 KB

anyone know if a part number exists for the plastic bellow?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM

I highly doubt that plastic box Is part of your problem, It Inside the tank and submerged In gas, thats not going to be the source of your fuel smell.
You have a leak In a fuel line or evap line / ripped gasket.

My 07 wrx never had that plastic cover over the sock from the factory If that makes you feel any better
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM

it does make me feel a bit better. i didn't think the box alone would cause it. but since it is also missing the hose that connects to some other filter-like thing that is also connected to the fuel tank vent line, i thought it may have had something to do with it.

anyway, the rubber gasket looked ok. i'm going to put it back together and make sure i have a good seal.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
There Is most likely a rip or tear In the gasket that goes between the tank and the metal access door, Or one of the little nubs Is not pulled through the metal door.
I did the same thing when I Installed my fuel pump a few years ago, I forgot one of the little nubs and I would always get a smell of gas at random times In the cabin.
Make sure to check this.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Yeah get a new gasket and clean all the old material off. This has been the most common cause if this type of problem. even the tiniest spot for air to get through wil lcause it. As the fuel expands when its warm it will push the vapor through....