Freestyle motocross rider Jeremy Lusk dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Freestyle motocross rider Jeremy Lusk dies

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP)—Jeremy Lusk, an American freestyle motocross rider, died of head injuries Tuesday after crashing while trying to land a backflip in competition. He was 24.

Jorge Ramirez, chief of the intensive care unit at Calderon Hospital where Lusk was taken, said the motocross racer suffered severe brain damage and a possible spinal cord injury.

Lusk won a gold medal at the 2008 X Games. He was injured Saturday night when he failed to complete a full rotation while attempting a Hart Attack backflip and slammed headfirst into the dirt. Lusk crashed in almost identical fashion in the freestyle semifinals at the 2007 X Games but was not hurt.

He had a successful 2008 season, winning Freestyle gold at the X Games and silver in Best Trick when he landed the first double-grab Hart Attack backflip. He won a bronze helmet in Freestyle at the Moto X World Championships in his hometown of San Diego.

Ramirez said Lusk died with his parents and his wife, Lauren, at his side.

“He was in a medicine-induced coma as a protective measure, and the medicine was being reduced to see how his body responded,” he said. “That didn’t mean he was going to wake up. He was in shock and that got worse last night, until he stopped responding and entered into cardiac and respiratory failure.”

Lusk lived in Temecula, Calif.

A trust has been set up in his memory, and donations can be made through the Athlete Recovery Fund, www.athleterecoveryfund.com
Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Car Info: .
I heard it was a pretty bad fall, they couldn't close his skull after the surgery the swelling was so severe. Sucks.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
wow bummmer
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Damn that sucks.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I was just talking about this with a few guys the other day.

These guys know what they're risking. They are paid... and paid well to push the edge of what is physically possible. Double back flips. 1280's. Giant skate ramps. etc.

These "x" sports have progressed so rapidly and to such crazy extents because the pay is there.

Back in the day when I first started snowboarding I was considered good enough to ride along side some pros and even pick up a proform. I wasn't great or anything but back then if you could do a 540 with a styled grab you ripped. Very few people made enough money to truly be rich or even make an above mid class living. These days TONS of people do. It's common for guys to made well over $200k a year doing this and many of them make multi millions yearly. They make that money because of the stuff they do.

Sucks for this dude but I'm not gonna give my lower middle class dollars to someone that was in the upperclass because they died doing what they love.

Guy died doing what he loved. I hope we can all be that lucky.

And on a side note... if he was in a comp. and his contracts were set up correctly he should get life insurance pay from each and every sponsor to take care of his family.

Poor kid was so damned young but I am expecting to see this more and more often.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
yeah this was a big tragedy to the motocross community! Jeremy Lusk was awarded transworld motocross' best freestyle rider of the year. After seeing his crash i hope it makes more people buy the best helmets and the great neck braces that are out there for riding dirt bikes now days...like you said...atleast he died doing what he loved, he would always put it all on the line when he would compete.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
i dont follow freestyle motoX, but that really sucks. I think backflips are the lamest trick you can do...give me a tweaked whip any day over a backflip combo. But thats why i dont watch FMX. They need to stop doing them all together, but then i guess they would lose their fanbase that think backflips are OMGsoooocoooool!

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Poor kid was so damned young but I am expecting to see this more and more often.

like the skater last year or 2 that landed pretty much on the flat bottom of the big air 1/4 pipe!? i thought he was a gonner after his shoes flew off his feet.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Sucks for this dude but I'm not gonna give my lower middle class dollars to someone that was in the upperclass because they died doing what they love.

Guy died doing what he loved. I hope we can all be that lucky.

And on a side note... if he was in a comp. and his contracts were set up correctly he should get life insurance pay from each and every sponsor to take care of his family.

Well said. These guys push the limits, they knew the risks, and hopefully they were smart and negotiated their contracts well.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
someone beat ya to it...

thread has links to the vid of it too
https://www.i-club.com/forums/random-thoughts-off-topic-17/horrible-xgames-freestyle-crash-rip-jeremy-lusk-199245/
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
o man this is terrible. He was one of my favorite riders. damn though, this really sucks.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
that kiss of death he did at the 1 minute was crazy. Such a talented kid.

Just caught the crash. HOLY ****. that was violent. Poor guy. I can only imagine his family and friends watching that. Good lord.

Looks like he was rushing to get that last hit in.

The shot that shows from the side is just gnarly. I wish they'd pull that footage. How terrible.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI Silver/78 911sc/ktm380exc/03 RC51/F4i
What a terrible tragedy for such a young and talented rider,RIP Lusk.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx, 05 600RR, 03 Xr50 wheelie machine
rip jeremy lusk
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Rip
Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
man thats terrible. at least it happened doing something he loved.