Found out my car was in a wreck!!WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Found out my car was in a wreck!!WTF

Some of you may know, I purchased my Wagon on 8/1, this past weekend during the dent day event at Rat's place in the city, Justin(dent guy) said to me "Dude did you wreck this car?" Hell no I didn't, I just bought it, it's practically brand new. '04 with 6300miles at purchase. "Dude you door is all Bondo!" he said to me. Well it got worse.... The inside door sill is all F'd up, Rear fender had been straightened, bondo, painted. They didn't even use the right paint. Java black has this really cool iradecent(spelling?) to it this is just black with a clear coat on it. The repair job was so bad you can still see sand paper peaks and valleys in the bondo under the paint. The inside door sill never got it's full treatment of clear coat, so there is a nice flat black with a hint of bondo showing through. This is only the surface. There could be damage to the impact beams, side curtain air bag(if it's even there) rear end alignment. The list goes on and on. So I'm sure your asking yourself, "Self what kind of idiot buys a wrecked '04 WRX????" Well I guess this kind of idiot. Needless to say I was pretty Pissed! SO I got a hold of the Used Car mngr. at Carlsen to discuss my dilemma. He was shocked in disbelief that this could have happened. I fact he said that in the 20+ yrs his family has owned 4 dealerships this has never happend. They had the wool pulled over thier eyes as well. The previous owner never filed a claim of any kind, Carfax was clean, Title was clean, everything appeared clean. The Mngr told me that they go oveer every vehicle with a fine tooth comb, particularly Subaru's, before they put them up for sale. To make a long story(as if it wasn't) short. He expressed genuine concern. He said he was sorry he had to leave for AZ in the morning and he would be back on Thurs. I have an appt. of Fri with him to look at this car and discuss in further detail on correcting this. During the conversation on the phone we discussed a full buy back of the WReck'd, and purchasing a brand new '05 at the same cost of the other WReck'd. He said "We will never sell a wrecked car. We have four dealerships and one car is not going to kill us to make things right for you. We want you to be as happy as the day you drove it off the lot. We will make this right!!!" Now I'd like to think he wasn't blowing smoke. I will see on Fri if Carlsen get's the praise or the mail bomb from my lawyer. Stay tuned for Fridays episode... Same Bat time... Same Bat Channel
Old 08-17-2004, 10:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Wow, sucky. keep us posted. lets see if carlsen can do some de-tarnishing of its currently sliding reputation.

jason
Old 08-17-2004, 10:44 AM

Car Info: ass-pan bug eye :D
whoah. crazy. how did you not notice? that's terrible. i sure hope they're better than steven's creek in handling this matter.

~*Victoria*~
Old 08-17-2004, 10:59 AM

if they don't get a lawyer. I had this happen to me from a small used car dealership and if they didn't disclose and it was a major accident you have every right to get your money back.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Staar
whoah. crazy. how did you not notice? that's terrible. i sure hope they're better than steven's creek in handling this matter.

~*Victoria*~
Well I ask myself the same thing. Really unless your looking for it you'd never notice. It took a professional t bring it to my attention. I'd have to say that I really didn't go over it as well as I should have when I bought it. Hell, it's a '04 with 6300miles. Live and Learn as they say. I can't wait til Fri. so I can take this damn Dunce hat off.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by En3D
if they don't get a lawyer. I had this happen to me from a small used car dealership and if they didn't disclose and it was a major accident you have every right to get your money back.
Funny part about it is they had no idea either. He told me they were screwed by the person they bought it from because they purchased the vehicle as an '04 with 6300miles. They paid a good penny or two for a wrecked vehicle as well. Even Carfax was clear. As I said before. Very sneaky on the sellers part. Bastard.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
sounds like you are getting a sweet freaking deal.

an 05 brand new for the cost of a used 04....hell I'd take it any day of the week.

sounds like they skrewed up and are making more than up for it. I am quite sure that they will then go after the seller...who is probably driving an sti.... screw that crap. that's shaddy. I hope they nail him.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

sounds like Carlsen is doing the right thing... and definately going above and beyond by selling you a 2005 at that price. I'm just suprised it got past their inspections -- maybe the dude sold Carlsen the car at night so they souldn't see the paint that well?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:30 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I was there and I was a surprised when Justin said it. I couldn't tell at all. The car looks clean to the untrained eye. Hope that deal stands for you on Friday.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:39 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Carfax only gets their information if the insurance company reports it, so if someone gets the work done on their own dime, carfax won't have a clue.

This is why its really important to look over used cars very carefully, good luck with Carlson, I hope they do right by you one way or another.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Wait this was a used car?

And you're complaining?

If Carlsen does anything, I'll be surprised. Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 AM

Car Info: ass-pan bug eye :D
i wonder if that con artist is an iclubber. lol

but like the rest of you were saying... that's a stroke of good luck!! you get an '05 for probably about half price!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
Wait this was a used car?

And you're complaining?

If Carlsen does anything, I'll be surprised. Caveat Emptor.

disclosures. any lawyer would win this even though carlsen claim that they didn't know. it is their job to know... not sure how much recourse they'll have with the original owner. now that doesn't mean that they have to give him a deal on a new 05 or any other car.

now if you bought from a private party, I think you'd be SOL.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
is say you tell them that you are willing to pay the 'normal' difference between the STi and the WRX and get the STi!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:57 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
is say you tell them that you are willing to pay the 'normal' difference between the STi and the WRX and get the STi!

I was just thinking that.

Quick Reply: Found out my car was in a wreck!!WTF