Found a glass pipe at a friends house

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Found a glass pipe at a friends house

There's a guy I know that I've "sponsored" in order to get him off drugs, he was addicted to meth and I was doing everything to keep him clean (doing things with him, mountain biking, things to keep him busy and to let him know that someone cares since he doesn't have family or friends of his own).

Anyway, apparently he had stopped using a little over 2 years ago and we've all been really proud of him, until today when I was taking a **** in his bathroom and noticed what looked like a glass pipe, and upon further inspection, sure enough, it was a use glass pipe. I haven't confronted him with it yet (don't worry, i didn't touch anything and am a total germaphobe)...

I don't know much about hard drugs, so what is a glass pipe like that used for? I've never seen anyone smoke meth out of a glass pipe, I thought glass pipes were used for crack? I know someone here knows what its used for (what drug)...

I feel really angry at the fact that I put so much effort into helping him and in return he goes and does this... I know addicts can;t controll themselves, but I really thought he was over this crap.

For those of you who have tried to help a drug addict recover from their addiction, you know how difficult it is... I really wanted to help him because he was so bright and had so much potential... His IQ is over 150 which is REALLY high and he was doing soooo well until he tried meth, just one time was enough to screw him... Can you believe that? Just one time when he was in high school and EVERYTHING went downhill after that. When he's not using he's really bright and is capable of so much.. It's sad because his whole family pretty much abandoned him after they moved to the east coast and left him behind (they tried everything to help him and failed, it was just too painful for them) and is one of the reasons that I got involved in an effort to help him... I'm a little older then him so he looks at me like a big brother... Ug, this is so jacked up, I can't stop thinking about it. I thought the worst was passed us, but today everything changed.

He's on probation for a drug charge so if he gets caught with something he goes straight to prison, and I know this sounds messed up, but sometimes I think it's for the best, that way he'll be away from the drugs (well, at least further away).

Back to the topic, what is a glass pipe used for? Meth? Crack? He used to inject meth which is why I think he's using crack now but Ive never even heard him mention the word "crack" and he's really open with me about using and stuff.

How do you guys think I should approach this? This is a VERY delicate situation and I can't do something to make him mad, I have to be his friend and show him that I really care, but even then I risk the chance of him shutting me out. Any advice guys? Please help!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
its used for crack
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
That's rough dude. No clue about the glass pipe.

I would just start by asking him what's going on (not drug related). Maybe he's having some stress about something that's pushing him to take something to cope?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
I've helped a lot of my friends control drugs so I know the situation you're in. First off congratulations on a good heart brother. We need more people like you helping out the helpless. Be sure to approach him with care, and try to be as gentle as possible. A humble rebuke is what he needs.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
here is the things to consider...

1)is it old, was it left over and forgotten where you found it?
2)Has he shown signs of change, of using again?

Meth is a hard drug to quit, ive walked a few friends off it. I myself walked away from the pony many years ago (18 years clean and sober) and it was a hard as **** to do. Hell I still think about it sometimes, but I know if I ever mount the horse again, I wont get off tell im dead.

If he is smoking meth, perhaps tell him you found it. You could loose a friend, or, you could help him realize he fell from the wagon and needs professional help.

thats about the best advice I can give you, be ready to loose a friend over this, you might have to walk away from him. After all the only one who can quit, is him.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by woocabin
its used for crack
They are also uses for Ice, Meth, sometimes used to smoke Heroin. I have seen them used for other drugs too.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
A crack pipe will have a small bowl to contain the crack. Meth is freebased -- the pipe will have a air chamber at the end under which the heat is applied. If the burnt residue is at the bottom of a relatively large chamber when it's used for smoking meth, if the bowl is small it's more likely a crack pipe. If it's double walled colorful glass, it's probably for weed.

If he doesn't plan on using it, then you should offer to help him dispose of all the paraphernalia. If it seems like he is using it, or admits to having some intention of useing it, then absolutely you should intervene regardless of the drug (even though I believe weed can be used safely sometimes) because he has no slack in his situation due to parole.

Good work either way
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
the glass pipe can also be used to smoke pot out of... depending on what kind of glass pipe it was... if it has a bowl than you can smoke pot out of it.. but you never know.. he couldve relapsed, and got back into it. Before it gets out of control, i would confront him asap. Relapsing is something that will happen if he was really heavy into it. i would confront him about it, if he looks at you like a big bro then he will open up to you. Even though it makes you upset that he might be smoking again, dont show your feelings just be the brother that he knows you as, this will show him that you care even more. Like you said addicts cant control themselves, and your right, but you can help control it.. i would talk to him about it see what he says, dont tell him that you saw the pipe, if he starts to deny then you should bring up the pipe... then go in the bathroom grab it and smash it outside, or have him smash it in front of you. As long as he knows the right people to go to this can possibly keep happening, see if there is a way you can distance him from the drug dealer or even some friends that might be getting him back into it. good luck!! ive been through this myself, helping my best friend, and i think he relpased as well, but im not 100% sure yet...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
If it's a completely clear glass pipe it's a crack/meth pipe. If it's colored glass or tinted glass it's for smoking weed. Small, but BIG difference. Good luck Dan.

-Brian
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Car Info: '08 cadillac cts
It can be used to smoke many types of drugs. Regardless it isn't good for someone who has previous drug history. Good luck
Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Good responses, thanks for being serious in this thread.

I'm really praying that it's for weed because I know he used to smoke it to be able to fall asleep back in the day... He's never mentioned crack before and I wouldn't have thought that he would be taking it based off my experience with him, but there's a lot i probably don't know.

Lets all cross our fingers for weed rather then crack!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
By glass pipe do you mean this:

or this:

Cause if it is the second one you dont have much to worry about, if its the first you have a LOT to worry about.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
If it's weed, it looks like this

If its meth or crack, it looks like this

or

LMAO beat me to it!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by code3suby
If it's weed, it looks like this

If its meth or crack, it looks like this

or