FORESTER Tips!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
The outback doesn't have **** for aftermarket. They haven't even figured out how to lower the damn things yet. Wife and I both said that we wished they had the LGT or just Legacy wagons period. I think it's stupid that they only have the giant 9inch monster truck version. If we could get one lowered on 18's we'd both be stoked. LOL>

The euro/*** versions of the outback are awesome!
QFMFT! We've been needing a new car since the '04 FXT was totalled in August of last year. This is the first time in my life that I'm in a position to buy a new car and SOA has F'ed me in the A. I can't get a Legacy GT wagon (my first choice), and there's no relatively easy way to lower the damn Outback (not to mention the turbo is no longer offered). If we got the turbo diesel euro version (the euro spec version is a bit lower and doesn't have the horrible lego-style plastic cladding all over), I would've already bought one.

I can't tell you how many times I've steered family/friends/others into Subarus and now they don't even offer one that I can/want to buy for the family.

The sad thing is that I'm now about 99% certain that we're going to end up with a 2008ish Toyota Sienna AWD minivan.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
My sister got the nissan mini van. Thing is PIMP! But no way in hell will I EVER drive a mini-van. F that isht!

Oh... and the XXX out was short for JAPANESE. Stupid censors.

Yeah the forums are talking about trying to get the euro spec stuff brought into the us. EVERYTHING about that car is better. No stupid lego side clad. The huge ugly rails are replaced with nice low pro ones like on previous legacy's. Lower. HID's. Etc.

Friggin lame. I don't know why they don't just do one friggin car.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Unhappy

My sister got the nissan mini van. Thing is PIMP! But no way in hell will I EVER drive a mini-van. F that isht!

Yeah the forums are talking about trying to get the euro spec stuff brought into the us. EVERYTHING about that car is better. No stupid lego side clad. The huge ugly rails are replaced with nice low pro ones like on previous legacy's. Lower. HID's. Etc.

Because Americans are dumb consumers. Plain and simple Same reason we no longer get a Legacy wagon and the same reason Volvo is no longer going to be importing wagons to the U.S. Stupid consumers choosing SUV/Crossovers over uber-functional and well handling wagons.

I DON'T WANT A TALL WAGON. I just want a regular wagon (and it will DEFINITELY see more dirt/"offroad" driving than 95% of all SUV/Crossovers sold in America).

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)

The side clad is to prevent any expensive-looking body repairs for those who actually take it off-pavement.

The "huge ugly rails" are useful for those looking for roof-cargo capability.

Increased ground clearance makes for improved off-road capability. I know there aren't too many that take Outbacks off-road, but it IS marketed as a semi-off-road capable wagon. It would be very stupid to market a vehicle as "off-pavement worthy" and make it too low to the ground...
In fact, I'm quite happy the USA gets the highest ground clearance of all the other Outbacks.

But I will agree Subaru should have kept the 2.5XT, especially with the manual. The manual can only be had with the base naturally-aspirated EJ25

Oh, and yes, it is a shame the Legacy wagon isn't sold here anymore
Old 06-24-2011, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Also, since the next vehicle we purchase will be the one the wifey drives the majority of the time, I'm having an easier time convincing myself that the minivan is the way to go. Better handling than most SUVs and can fit 6 comfortably, 7 in a pinch. They're also the most functional/practical vehicle for a family IMHO. I know it's super cliche, but carting around a kid(s), their friend(s) and all the associated crap makes you really wish you had a vehicle that was a bit bigger. I assume it's only going to get worse when we have a second child. Since Toyota is the only manufacturer offering an AWD option, we're pretty much locked into a Sienna. It's not the perfect solution, but I think it'll fit our needs pretty damn well...now where's that Toyota supercharger kit :P.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AWDfreak
The side clad is to prevent any expensive-looking body repairs for those who actually take it off-pavement.

The "huge ugly rails" are useful for those looking for roof-cargo capability.

Increased ground clearance makes for improved off-road capability. I know there aren't too many that take Outbacks off-road, but it IS marketed as a semi-off-road capable wagon. It would be very stupid to market a vehicle as "off-pavement worthy" and make it too low to the ground...
In fact, I'm quite happy the USA gets the highest ground clearance of all the other Outbacks.

But I will agree Subaru should have kept the 2.5XT, especially with the manual. The manual can only be had with the base naturally-aspirated EJ25

Oh, and yes, it is a shame the Legacy wagon isn't sold here anymore
The side cladding could be smooth instead of bumpy as hell (the euro spec model is like that).

The huge, ugly AS HELL, rails do not provide much functionality as the crossbars do not slide and are in a fixed horizontal position as far as I am aware. That means that you have very little longitudinal adjustment for ski racks, bike racks, etc.

The standard Legacy wagon has/had enough off-road prowess for your standard issue dirt road. If you're planning on "crawlin'" or seriously off-roading then this isn't a good choice IMHO as there's too many plastic bits to scratch/crack/break off.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

FWIW, this is the Euro Outback:

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Dam that Euro Outback looks so clean...

I wonder what's the point of the side cladding having to have bumps and such. Maybe they wanted it to look more "tough"??? I doubt it was for any aerodynamic advantages...

As for the limited adjustability, I sure hope Subaru of America addresses the issue.

Of course most stock "regular" Subarus (which exclude the Tribeca, Outback, and Forester) have about 6 inches of ground clearance, enough for typical dirt roads. But there are Outback drivers that don't exactly go rock-crawling, but take much more rough roads than a smooth fire road.

The idea of lowering an Outback or Forester isn't one I like. It truly is a shame the Legacy wagon isn't offered here!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by AWDfreak
Dam that Euro Outback looks so clean...

I wonder what's the point of the side cladding having to have bumps and such. Maybe they wanted it to look more "tough"??? I doubt it was for any aerodynamic advantages...

As for the limited adjustability, I sure hope Subaru of America addresses the issue.

Of course most stock "regular" Subarus (which exclude the Tribeca, Outback, and Forester) have about 6 inches of ground clearance, enough for typical dirt roads. But there are Outback drivers that don't exactly go rock-crawling, but take much more rough roads than a smooth fire road.

The idea of lowering an Outback or Forester isn't one I like. It truly is a shame the Legacy wagon isn't offered here!
As for the side cladding lego heinousness, I think they were trying to emulate a horrible horrible vehicle, the CR-V:

There isn't really a way to "fix" the idiotic roof rails other than to replace them on next years vehicles.

I've taken horribly rutted roads in my Swift-springs lowered '04 FXT. I see no need for the extra height of an Outback, but obviously, I'm in the minority because all of these Outbacks they're selling now are doing all SORTS of off roading

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
General Pimpin'

Yeah... I drive on a CRAZY dirt road and I drive it every day with a lowered wagon. I've had my car in bumper deep snow. Driven it up a foot tall embankment of snow and had it up super gnarly fire road with huge ruts. Mud, etc.

Basically every condition you'd go wheeling in short of rock climbing... but if I was gonna do that I'd build a jeep with 24 inches of articulation. I've seriously had my car in gnarlier stuff than most people with lifted trucks have.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
I hear you on the sport wagon, my wife wanted tall too, though. I guess that's an American thing. sport wagons don't sell. She thought about a WRX hatch for a minute, she got that gleam in her eye, but it was gone when we rode in the XC60. Lifeless car, but I don't drive it much, so whatever.

At least having a 3rd car means I can be full time E85 and basically do whatever I want to my car since my wife and daughter are almost never in it anymore.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Concillian
I hear you on the sport wagon, my wife wanted tall too, though. I guess that's an American thing. sport wagons don't sell. She thought about a WRX hatch for a minute, she got that gleam in her eye, but it was gone when we rode in the XC60. Lifeless car, but I don't drive it much, so whatever.

At least having a 3rd car means I can be full time E85 and basically do whatever I want to my car since my wife and daughter are almost never in it anymore.
My wife also likes the big outback, height and all as well. I personally don't like that its as tall as the forester.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
My wife also likes the big outback, height and all as well. I personally don't like that its as tall as the forester.
They sold the forester we were gonna go look at. SOB! That's 2 in under a week sold under us. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Hell we might end up with an outback and I'll be the suspension pioneer like I was with the wagon. LOL!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
My Calc teacher made this video about car loans. He is a kooky **** but is really smart. haha

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
They sold the forester we were gonna go look at. SOB! That's 2 in under a week sold under us. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Hell we might end up with an outback and I'll be the suspension pioneer like I was with the wagon. LOL!
Which one, the black on black one?

Quick Reply: FORESTER Tips!!