FORESTER Tips!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
FORESTER Tips!!

We're going hunting for a car this weekend. We've been looking for a long time and have it narrowed down to a few cars at 3 different dealerships. Mostly 2010 Foresters but there are a couple 2008's. We have a couple favorites but if the dealership won't play we won't pay.

So any tips from you guys? Know what these are going for right now? I went to look at and probably buy a 2008 last week but they sold it out from under me.
$15,800.

Also.... Roo... I know you're active over on forester org so give me some input.

Right now we're looking at an X Premium. They charge too damn much for the sunroof/all weather package. It's like $2500. We're looking at doing a few things to it pretty early.. Rear sway bar and end links, window tint and clearbra. We'll probably wait a while and then do swift springs and some 18's and call it a day.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Dude, the 2009+ will get you the most room. After the redesign the interior space got a lot bigger. Easily fit the infant seat rear facing without impacting the front seat passengers. Plus we got over 60,000 miles out of the stock brakes and we are still on the stock tires with damn near 70,000 miles. As far as having to do maintanence, this has been great. hahaha
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
When my mom was looking the 2011's ended up being cheaper than the year-old low mileage rentals due to financing. But if you're able to buy outright then used might still be cheaper.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
I'd also recommend looking at the '09+ models as there really is a whole lot more interior space.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Have they improved sound insulation?
Just like all the Imprezas, the older Foresters are pretty loud on the freeways.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
My buddy and his wife have an early '09 XT. It isn't much bigger than my car, but there is a bit more space for passengers. It drives pretty nice as-is, I'd be tempted to just leave it stock. You probably already know, but for XTs, the early '09s blew engines due to new bearings, my buddy's car got an engine replaced at 15K. N/As should not be affected by this.

Stan
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by stan_t
My buddy and his wife have an early '09 XT. It isn't much bigger than my car, but there is a bit more space for passengers. It drives pretty nice as-is, I'd be tempted to just leave it stock. You probably already know, but for XTs, the early '09s blew engines due to new bearings, my buddy's car got an engine replaced at 15K. N/As should not be affected by this.

Stan
Yeah we're not gonna do turbo. We need an NA car for gas, reliability and insurance.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by antonch
Have they improved sound insulation?
Just like all the Imprezas, the older Foresters are pretty loud on the freeways.
No the road noise is still horrendous. But I believe a change in tire would make a world of difference. It did on my wife's 08 Legacy.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Are you locked into the Forester? When we were shopping for a family car (a year ago) I strongly preferred the Outback 2.5 to the Forester just because the CVT makes the car feel so much stronger than the 4EAT.

EPA ratings back that up, with the heavier Outback with a CVT seeing 22 / 29 and the forester with the FB25 (a better engine design for efficiency) and 4EAT seeing 21 / 27.

Ultimately we went with a Volvo, but the OB 2.5 CVT was our 2nd choice. My wife and I both felt that not offering the CVT on the Forester killed any chance it had with us. However, we were not so concerned with the price difference between the two. I think they're about $4k different when new, that's not chump change. You get a lot for that money though. Space, refinement, power (the CVT frees up WHP for the same crank HP. It feels like it anyway.)

If you haven't driven a CVT, go test drive a 4EAT and CVT back to back, it's a big difference.

Ignore all this if you're buying a 5MT.

Last edited by Concillian; 06-24-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Concillian
Are you locked into the Forester? When we were shopping for a family car (a year ago) I strongly preferred the Outback 2.5 to the Forester just because the CVT makes the car feel so much stronger than the 4EAT.

EPA ratings back that up, with the heavier Outback with a CVT seeing 22 / 29 and the forester with the FB25 (a better engine design for efficiency) and 4EAT seeing 21 / 27.

Ultimately we went with a Volvo, but the OB 2.5 CVT was our 2nd choice. My wife and I both felt that not offering the CVT on the Forester killed any chance it had with us. However, we were not so concerned with the price difference between the two. I think they're about $4k different when new, that's not chump change. You get a lot for that money though. Space, refinement, power (the CVT frees up WHP for the same crank HP. It feels like it anyway.)

If you haven't driven a CVT, go test drive a 4EAT and CVT back to back, it's a big difference.

Ignore all this if you're buying a 5MT.
actually, the wife and I both vetoe'd the Outbacks until we looked at one. They have 2 of them at the dealership we were at last weekend. One 6 speed manual and one with the CVT. REALLY nice car. It really is a lot more car for the few grand more. But we're finding new they're $30k out the door and that's WAY passed our budget. Originally we were shooting for $15-18k. Now we're talking $19-21k. I've only been back to work for like 2 weeks LOL! I don't clear probation for another 60 days. But timing is what it is. Wife's car went boom and the dealership wanted $5k to fix a $2000 car.

If we can get the Outback with the CVT for $22k I think we'd take it.

The wife looked much happier driving the forester though... more fun. It's closer to her VW Golf handling wise. Plus... I like the fact that I can have it lowered on 18's with a new rear sway bar for under $2k. LOL! The outback doesn't have **** for aftermarket. They haven't even figured out how to lower the damn things yet. Wife and I both said that we wished they had the LGT or just Legacy wagons period. I think it's stupid that they only have the giant 9inch monster truck version. If we could get one lowered on 18's we'd both be stoked. LOL>

The euro/*** versions of the outback are awesome!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
CVTs feel really weird. I am not sure about Subaru's implementation but the one on the Nissan is buzzy.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by antonch
CVTs feel really weird. I am not sure about Subaru's implementation but the one on the Nissan is buzzy.
I didn't notice any buzzy factor. But it does feel VERY weird. I prefered driving in the manual setting... paddle shifters mock a 6 speed. Much better. But the wife liked the CVT.

It's VERY sloppy feeling. Feels like a hybrid or something. But for 30mpg I'll deal with it. I've read of people getting over 30 on the highway. Crazy
Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
i was just considering this same car. probably closer to the end of the year, and probably the turbo version. i was also looking at the new sti... time to trade my mine in.
keep me updated on this!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by blacktraxgirl
i was just considering this same car. probably closer to the end of the year, and probably the turbo version. i was also looking at the new sti... time to trade my mine in.
keep me updated on this!
Wish we could go turbo. If it was for me we'd go XT for sure. I'm really torn on my car but I wont' be replacing it any time soon. No 2 car payments. I'll probably replace my motor next year and my car in 4. By then lord willing we'll have the turbo diesel legacy. LOL. If not I'll probably by an STI hatch or an XT forester.

There are some decent deals for XT's right now. If you wait until August there will be ALL kinds of them. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Concillian
In an '09 Forester, I just filled the tank this morning, drove from Tracy to San Jose like always. Talking 11th St/Corral Hollow to North First/Charcot, mpg is 28.5. It was 28.8 but I idled for about 10 minutes listening to the radio. And that was with stopping at Starbucks and continuing to work. I've gotten 32 out of it commuting one day. On average, 26 to 27 with even more street driving as I usually commute with my mom who works just down the street from me. So it gets decent mileage and for me, if I had the CVT I doubt I would get that good mileage cause I would drive in the sport mode more often cause I don't like the feeling of a transmission that doesn't shift.

Quick Reply: FORESTER Tips!!