Fix a flat opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2005 Saab 92X Aero
Fix a flat opinions

Hey guys,

My wife's Foz XT (tire) seems to have a small leak, she thinks she ran over glass a few days ago. I've tried to find it with out any luck... was wondering what you guys thought about fix a flat. I've personally never used the stuff, the idea of spraying goopy **** into my tires isn't exactly appealing, but neither is spending 200 bucks on a new tire if I can fix it for a few dollars. Anyway, opinions, stories, everyone's .02 is appreciated!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
is it leaking from the valve stem or where is the leak? tire repair shops hate fixaflat
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
If the puncture is on the tread you shouldn't have a problem just getting it patched. Any local tire shop(s) should be able to do this on the cheap. I usually go to Les Schwab.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
yea main goal is to find where its leaking from. Try to take a spray bottle with soap and water mixed in it and spray around the whole tire and try to determine where the leak is at.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
If you are able to, make a dunk tank and dip the wheel/tire into it..you'll see bubbles coming up from where it is...

Its like using soap but you don't have to sit there and spray the whole tire
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by dozenutts
If the puncture is on the tread you shouldn't have a problem just getting it patched. Any local tire shop(s) should be able to do this on the cheap. I usually go to Les Schwab.
Americas tires patches for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they remove the tire and patch from inside plus sealant. free!

my forester got a nail in the first week or two, and they patched it.

it's just one of a few free services they offer. they also reprogram TPMS free as well.

Last edited by Rescuer; 01-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by kspek
is it leaking from the valve stem or where is the leak? tire repair shops hate fixaflat
The worst is not knowing there has been fixaflat in a tire...start taking the tire off and there's liquid and goop dripping everywhere all over the machine in a few seconds...hated that stuff..no one warns you either hah
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
As a former tire shop employee, I beg of you, please do not use fix a flat.

1) It's absolutely disgusting to deal with when we need to deflate or work on your tire.
2) It can clog and gum up the valve stem, making it much more annoying to work with your wheel assembly.
3) It doesn't allow us to find where the leak is by dunking the tire in water. If you want the tire fixed correctly later, many tire shops will just want to sell you a new tire instead of cleaning out the tire and fixing it properly.
4) It only covers the problem and doesn't really solve the problem.
5) If seals only the inside part of the tire, risking water and corrosive chemicals getting into your steel belt and slowly rotting it away, which can potentially cause a blow out. (obviously worse can scenario)

I agree with dunking it/spraying with soapy water to try and determine where the leak is coming from. Most common places to check for leaks are the tread, the bead (where the sidewall meets the wheel), or the valve stem. This might be obvious, so don't take it the wrong way, but make sure the tire is filled to correct pressure prior to dunking/spraying the wheel assembly to ensure there's enough pressure to push air out of where it's leaking. Though, you'll want to get the tire professionally patched, if possible.

America's Tire Co does it for free, whether or not you bought the tires from them.

Originally Posted by slugrx
The worst is not knowing there has been fixaflat in a tire...start taking the tire off and there's liquid and goop dripping everywhere all over the machine in a few seconds...hated that stuff..no one warns you either hah
One of the worst memories working in a tire shop. Taking out the valve core and a crap load of fit a flat spraying into my pant leg.... it was the beginning of my shift....
Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 Saab 92X Aero
Cool, thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda felt like it was too good to be true. I'll check out americas tire first and then if I can't work that out I'll go with the soap and water, thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
When I worked at a shop and a customer brought in a tire with Fix-A-Flat in it, it was automatic replacement. We absolutely refused to look at it because of how much of a waste of time it was to clean the tire out.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Originally Posted by Rescuer
Americas tires patches for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they remove the tire and patch from inside plus sealant. free!

my forester got a nail in the first week or two, and they patched it.

it's just one of a few free services they offer. they also reprogram TPMS free as well.
Thanks that's good to know. Les Schwab does mine for free but only because I bought the tires from them.