First Ticket, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 96' Impreza GM4
First Ticket, have some questions.

Okay, so I got my first ticket on the way home from school today. 74 in a 55 up on Hwy 35. 22349(a)VC is the code. I am from WA and have a WA Drivers License, and the court is Palo Alto. I guess my question is, if I were to contest it by written declaration, what would I say, as well as if I did traffic school, would it ever show up on a record? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Yes it would. My dad once got a speeding ticket in Ontario, Canada and the ticket was mailed here in CA and a point added to his record.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thought I posted this already, guess not. You got lucky... one more mph and your fine would have been doubled.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 PM

Whoa...I guess that is lucky. I plan on doing a trial by written declaration, and traffic school if no luck with that. Would the school be for CA or WA? I'm moving back home on April 25th...so online would be my only option to erase this from my record.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 PM

Car Info: '12 STI
Damn, what part of Skyline? What time? Was it a CHP or a Santa Clara county Sheriff?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 PM

2 CHP motorcyclists... Northbound; south of Sky Ranch....like 2.5 miles from my driveway dammit. 5:40PM

If anyone reading this was in the white van tailing me, I saved your ***!

Last edited by motoracr22; 03-16-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BillJC
Yes it would. My dad once got a speeding ticket in Ontario, Canada and the ticket was mailed here in CA and a point added to his record.

Thats weird! I got pulled over in a Speed trap in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on my wedding day (was running 90 km/h in a 50 km/h to go get my tux) and the cop just said: "I'd still have to give you a ticket, but you're from CA so I don't care what you do with it, ai?". I still haven't heard anything from them. Maybe there is a warrant out there for me..
Old 03-16-2005, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
How long ago was it? My dad wasn't going to pay it but, they kept sending the payment requests. He kept ignoring them for about a year until he finally gave in. If I remember correctly he was going 95kmh in a 50 kmh zone. Total cost of the ticket was like $350 Canadian after all the late fees.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM

This makes it look liek if I contest the citation, I waive my chance for traffic school. Is that correct?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:46 PM

Found an error, the officer wrote 5:40 AM....not 5:40 PM...! I was sleeping haha! does that work?!?! Please oh please.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 05 Impreza CGM
The judge in the written declaration can assign traffic school.
The question is you always request traffic scholl if all fails in your statement of facts. But how many times the really assign traffic school?

Go for the traffic school. take it on line, be done. (behave for the next 18 months)
Otherwise hit ticket assasin and read up.

Cheers

Nick
Old 03-16-2005, 09:33 PM

So you're saying I'm better off to say screw the written declaration and/or trial. And just pay the ticket, do the traffic school, and be poorer but have a clean record?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
If you aren't planning on getting anymore tickets soon take the school.

If it is available and you generally dont do stupid ish then take the school.

Otherwise realize that this will be a minor infraciton on your record, it wont hit you insurance hard, and you may wish to save the traffic school option for something more drastic (like driving like a total retard) and challenge the ticket. If you were in a twisty section you can dispute the validity of the ticket.

I am assuming you were tagged on radar (because if you weren't it would be silly to let us all know you were nailed while the sun was up by some cop tailing you). Buy a radar detector while you are at it.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:23 AM

Yeah, got nailed by radar coming out of a sweeping turn, I usually don't go that fast up on that road, so I was a bit surprised to see 74 on the gun coming right of a turn. I tried explaining to the guy that I live 2 miles away and I drive the road twice a day...visibility was good...dry/bright...he said that doesn't matter because there are deer up there. Since I generally drive sanely, I think I'll use my traffic school option and just be careful...

anyone selling a detector?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 05 Impreza CGM
Originally Posted by motoracr22
So you're saying I'm better off to say screw the written declaration and/or trial. And just pay the ticket, do the traffic school, and be poorer but have a clean record?
Just make an educated decision. If you contest the ticket you may not be able to go to traffic shcool. I mean you can ask the judge at the trial nuovo and hope for the best but he/she may not grant it. Whereas now you can take the traffic school option pay the fine/bail amount and be carefull for the next 18 months.
I have done the trafic school twice and it is a bit of time consuming but what the heck, it is a free pass.

By the way if you contest the ticket by written declaration and it gets dismissed you will get your money back so it will coast you a lot less. The bottom line is they want your money, this is it. You on the other hand need not to have the point on your record for 3 years (if it even transfers in Oregon).

I believe the traffic school is a fair option. I was just like you saying... Damn I did not go that fast.. but what can you do.

Regards and good luck.

Nick

Quick Reply: First Ticket, have some questions.