Fight The Man, or pay the city.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by Gouki
Thanks guys! And a humbling update: I went by the scene after work to see that the zone is 30... I was going 35 (Which is what I thought the limit was all these 30 years of living).

Now this whole time I was upset but not furious, because 46 in a 35 is 11, and still counts in the lesser cvc. Now a 46 in a 30 is 16, or ONE mile into the higher cvc.

I was going 2.5k in fourth, or roughly 35 miles per hour, cruising to work.

So, that being said, still worth fighting?

Thanks for all the support i-club.
If the ticket says 35 on it, then thats all they can charge you for. they cant amend the ticket after the fact.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
How about this theory...Lets say he was NOT speeding, Cop pulled him over and u stop and put the keys on the dash, ignition off. Cop walks over, Says "Son you were Speeding"..and You says" Show me the Radar First to prove it"....How Deep Doodoo will you be in?..Will he be furious?, Tell you to pop ur hood?..Look under ur car for mod parts?...
"Hey officer, I'll show you my equipment if you show me yours"
Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 2001 BMW M5
Ok guys, last question before I put the warpaint on and go for it: I am eligible for traffic school, so I'm not worried about insurance hike, ect. If I do the trial by mail and have an epic fail, can I still do traffic school? That's my only hang up at this point.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB
Ok guys, last question before I put the warpaint on and go for it: I am eligible for traffic school, so I'm not worried about insurance hike, ect. If I do the trial by mail and have an epic fail, can I still do traffic school? That's my only hang up at this point.

Thanks!
umm yea thats the crapy part on that if u do endup with a fail then no you cannot do traffic school. well thats how its here in the valley not sure if its the same in the bay. correct me if im wrong anyone.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Well, I just had to respond to a theft from a store here and met up with a PPD Officer and kind of poked around regarding this. I was asking him about the radar practices and he said that the front mounted radar on the patrol car has to be almost perfectly facing the oncoming vehicle. The patrol car I encountered backed into the lot at a 45 degree angle from my direction, so I don't think a radar hit would even be possible.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 AM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
so much bad info in this thread i dont even know where to start.

the officer is not required to show you the radar/lidar reading if he used that to measure your speed. visual estimation does stand up in court and is a requirement in the tracking history for radar/lidar. the officer can amend the citation after the fact. if the officer took good notes (each officer is different), it doesnt matter if you push it back 2 years, his testimony will be close to the same. officers are paid to do written dec's (they take 20 minutes max and are done during the normal shift). judges are starting to issue bench warrants for officers that dont show up to court, so you can expect him to be there.

you said eden cyn. but eden runs perpendicular to 580 and does not go to pleasanton. so im guessing you are refering to dublin cyn. im not sure if the section he cited you on meets the definition of a local road, but it might. if not there needs to be a valid speed survey on file and to be honest i dont know if there is or not. ill have to check with my radar coordinator (i am responsible for the unincorporated section of that road).

radar has a beam width of about 100 feet at 500 feet in distance. so he doesnt have to be parked perfectly straight to the road, and even then the cosign angle effects the speed reading and is always in the violators favor (in stationary mode). so if he was at an angle the object in his beam (maybe you, maybe not, i dont know) was actually moving faster than the reading he received on his unit. was there any other traffic on the road at the time? cars in front of you, behind you, going the opposite direction, etc?

challenging it in court cant hurt you, so there is no reason not to try it. there is a lot the officer has to testify to and prove for a radar cite. maybe you will get lucky and he wont be prepared.

feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by TitanSTI

the officer is not required to show you the radar/lidar reading if he used that to measure your speed. visual estimation does stand up in court and is a requirement in the tracking history for radar/lidar. the officer can amend the citation after the fact. if the officer took good notes (each officer is different), it doesnt matter if you push it back 2 years, his testimony will be close to the same. officers are paid to do written dec's (they take 20 minutes max and are done during the normal shift). judges are starting to issue bench warrants for officers that dont show up to court, so you can expect him to be there.

you said eden cyn. but eden runs perpendicular to 580 and does not go to pleasanton. so im guessing you are refering to dublin cyn. im not sure if the section he cited you on meets the definition of a local road, but it might. if not there needs to be a valid speed survey on file and to be honest i dont know if there is or not. ill have to check with my radar coordinator (i am responsible for the unincorporated section of that road).

radar has a beam width of about 100 feet at 500 feet in distance. so he doesnt have to be parked perfectly straight to the road, and even then the cosign angle effects the speed reading and is always in the violators favor (in stationary mode). so if he was at an angle the object in his beam (maybe you, maybe not, i dont know) was actually moving faster than the reading he received on his unit. was there any other traffic on the road at the time? cars in front of you, behind you, going the opposite direction, etc?

challenging it in court cant hurt you, so there is no reason not to try it. there is a lot the officer has to testify to and prove for a radar cite. maybe you will get lucky and he wont be prepared.

The exit is Edan Canyon, hang a left and that takes you all the way to the mall. He was pointed like this |, I was driving like this -. The point is that I wasn't speeding. If I was I wouldn't be on here asking to fight it or not, I'd just pay the fine and go to traffic school.

I just need to know if I can go to traffic school if I do the trial by written declaration and lose.

What also cheeses me off is he said "If it was dry I wouldn't have pulled you over." What does that have to do with anything? So he wouldn't enforce traffic law if it was dry? And even if he wouldn't, why tell me that? It was raining, and I have brand new tires, and I was not going 46 mph. Which also conveniently puts me in the higher speed bracket.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by TitanSTI

are you CHP?if so i have a question for you.ill pm as well if thats ok
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by nation
are you CHP?if so i have a question for you.ill pm as well if thats ok
He's M.I.B.!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
The exit is Edan Canyon, hang a left and that takes you all the way to the mall. He was pointed like this |, I was driving like this -. The point is that I wasn't speeding. If I was I wouldn't be on here asking to fight it or not, I'd just pay the fine and go to traffic school.

I just need to know if I can go to traffic school if I do the trial by written declaration and lose.

What also cheeses me off is he said "If it was dry I wouldn't have pulled you over." What does that have to do with anything? So he wouldn't enforce traffic law if it was dry? And even if he wouldn't, why tell me that? It was raining, and I have brand new tires, and I was not going 46 mph. Which also conveniently puts me in the higher speed bracket.

Thanks for the help guys!
yeah, thats Dublin Canyon Rd.

if you are eligible for traffic school, that shouldnt be effected if you fight the citation by written dec. or in person. keep in mind, if you "lose" the written dec. you can request a trial de novo, where your case will be heard in court. im not an expert on court related stuff though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Hit up Ticketbust.com. They've gotten me off quite a few speeding tickets and they handle almost everything. Very convenient and well worth the price in most cases.

-- Ed
Old 02-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
Technically... NO. Reality... YES.

I got a speeding ticket by a CHP near Truckee last year. I tried Trial by Written Declaration (I had to sign a form & basically I can't go to traffic school from this point) & lost. Then I requested Trial De Novo, but I knew I wouldn't drive all the way to Truckee for court, so after I received the trial date I requested to change my plea to guilty & requested permission for traffic school & I got it.

I paid membership for TicketAssasin.com but never got any personal support (all computer operated) so I wouldn't recommend that. I got my ticket in Feb. & I turned in traffic school certificate in the end of Dec. Check your PM. Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:00 PM

All right, I got my notice in the mail offering traffic school to me. So the way I understand it once they offer it, it never leaves the table. The due date is 05.10.2010.

So do I make the first extension before or after I make the request for a trial by declaration?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 07 black piggy STI, 1996 Integra LS
Fight it fight it!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
hey just a heads up i would be careful about doing a trial by declaration there only two judges in pleasaunt that hear traffic tickets i have had experience with both the younger one whos name escapes me at the moment, hates trial by declaration he thinks its an insult to him and the state that u cant take a hour out of your day to go to court, i watch him give 3 vertics of guilty and full fines about a year or two ago for trial by declaration. i don't know if u are allowed to fight your case after lousing a trial by declaration if so then i say go for it and if u louse then set a court date as near to a major holiday as possible cop hate having to go to court like the day before thanksgiving or something and same go's for there day off if there no holidays, then i normally do is use my one reschedule that the courts allows u and push it out as far as possible the week before the court date once again go for a holiday

Quick Reply: Fight The Man, or pay the city.