Fight The Man, or pay the city.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
Fight it! I just won a case by Written Declaration, just got the news on friday!

If you write in, the officer doesnt get the overtime pay to go to court. I fought mine, even though a bunch of people on here told me that I was in the wrong. Flood them with evidence, it doesnt take much time, and you just might win. Good luck bruv.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Do Written Declaration and try to extend it if you want. I got a ticket in Aug 1st and i just delayed it numerous times hoping the chp would forget but well see how my written declaration went soon!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
def extend it.6 months easy and it really puts it in your favor.the form listed is correct and everyones correct,its what they can prove,not on what is assumed
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB
Yes fight it, I'm sure he will not show up to court and your case will be dismissed. Good Luck
Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 AM

Car Info: 2001 BMW M5
Thanks guys! And a humbling update: I went by the scene after work to see that the zone is 30... I was going 35 (Which is what I thought the limit was all these 30 years of living).

Now this whole time I was upset but not furious, because 46 in a 35 is 11, and still counts in the lesser cvc. Now a 46 in a 30 is 16, or ONE mile into the higher cvc.

I was going 2.5k in fourth, or roughly 35 miles per hour, cruising to work.

So, that being said, still worth fighting?

Thanks for all the support i-club.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
Aren't they by law required to show you the radar reading before issuing the ticket if you ask for it? Unless they followed you and got your speed by looking at their "calibrated" speedometer. But other than that, judging speed with his eyes isn't valid in court. Fight that ish.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Car Info: Fast
What did you tell him? I have found that you should NEVER put a number to how fast you are going. You either incriminate yourself, or you will be considered a liar if there is evidence to support that you were speeding.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
No, they're not.
And visual speed estimation is very valid in court.
But there are many ways to defeat this ticket.

Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
Aren't they by law required to show you the radar reading before issuing the ticket if you ask for it? Unless they followed you and got your speed by looking at their "calibrated" speedometer. But other than that, judging speed with his eyes isn't valid in court. Fight that ish.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
If he was only using visual speed estimation, no radar or pacing...then you need to do trial by declaration and file for discovery. Request his certification on visual speed estimation, they have a margin of error because nobody is perfect visually.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Car Info: Wing
Originally Posted by STiForFun
If he was only using visual speed estimation, no radar or pacing...then you need to do trial by declaration and file for discovery. Request his certification on visual speed estimation, they have a margin of error because nobody is perfect visually.

Good luck.

Speeding estimation is so lame that the officer who wrote the ticket will not show up on the trial date. When i was in the feild I never even considered something like that solely for the fact that the judges usually throw out the case, specially if a half way decent attorney shows up.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Fight it, the worst that can happen is you have to pay the ticket and you lose a couple hours going to court. If you truly did not commit the offense, I would not agree to pay it without voicing my opinion. Just my 2 cents...
Good luck!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
seems pretty straight forward to me...
1. pay the ticket, pay the increase in insurance, take the dmv point, and if it happens again pay even more when youre actually guilty

OR

2. FIGHT IT! If you didn't speed, then fight it...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Hell, even if he did speed, fight it.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM

How about this theory...Lets say he was NOT speeding, Cop pulled him over and u stop and put the keys on the dash, ignition off. Cop walks over, Says "Son you were Speeding"..and You says" Show me the Radar First to prove it"....How Deep Doodoo will you be in?..Will he be furious?, Tell you to pop ur hood?..Look under ur car for mod parts?...
Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 2005 wrx
b4 I had a mooded car a cop pulled me over on the freeway sayn i was going over 100mph, but in fact I had my cruise control set to 70mph. I through a fit asking to see his radar gun and proof of this, he walked back to his car, talked to his partner and came back up to my window and said, "you can go, I have been wrong in the past". I dont think I would be so ballsy now days, but being accused of wrong doin when your not doing anything wrong is a compete bummer.
if you have the time fight it, if not suck it up I guess and just deal with the fact that life aint fair.

Quick Reply: Fight The Man, or pay the city.