Fender rolling recommendations and experiences

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Fender rolling recommendations and experiences

I know many people here have had their fenders rolled to allow clearance for wider tires. I am looking for recommendations, advice or experience on either 1) any good places that provide this service [and cost] 2) any places to avoid 3) doing it yourself.

I am planning on running 17 x 8.5 48 offset Rota Slipstreams with either a 245 or 255 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. I am running TEIN coilovers with 1 inch drop, but I am not looking to mess around with camber unless they professionally adjusted, aligned and corner balanced. Thanks!

Last edited by LxJLthr; 11-04-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
+1 LICmotorsports!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
pm DTMEvolution (Brian). He did all four of mine for 30 bucks with no cracking whatsoever.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
Mach III FTW!!! They are on Ocean Ave. near City College of SF. Looking at their crew's hella flush cars...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I am planning on running 17 x 8.5 48 offset Rota Slipstreams with either a 245 or 255 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.
Remember that Star Spec runs wider than other brand/model tires... I have 235/40-17 on 17x8.5" Advan RCII now & they are almost as wide as 245/40-17 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 PP!

I chose 235 over 245 because it's $25 cheaper per tire (even 255 is cheaper than 245 ). Plus, 245 rubbed in the back on super sharp turns even though my rears are rolled (I'm on SPT Pink w/ stock struts).
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Car Info: Car
I would first check to see if rolling is actually needed. The fenders on the 05+ cars may actually be able to fit the 245 Z1s with no problems.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
Let me know how this turns out. I too plan to run 17x8.5in. wheels with 255/40R17 rubber. I'd love to find out if fender rolling is necessary, recommended or whatever for this setup.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
I 'rented' a roller from a guy named Arnold... I think he was from i-club. PM me if you want his cell number, I don't feel like I should post it for his security.

I think he charged me 50 bucks to use it for the weekend.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by indolegend89
pm DTMEvolution (Brian). He did all four of mine for 30 bucks with no cracking whatsoever.
I will definitely take that under consideration! Do you know which tool he used to roll the fender?

Originally Posted by Fendyman
Remember that Star Spec runs wider than other brand/model tires... I have 235/40-17 on 17x8.5" Advan RCII now & they are almost as wide as 245/40-17 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 PP!

I chose 235 over 245 because it's $25 cheaper per tire (even 255 is cheaper than 245 ). Plus, 245 rubbed in the back on super sharp turns even though my rears are rolled (I'm on SPT Pink w/ stock struts).
Yes, I have been told that, but I never realized it was by such a large margin. How much of a drop do the springs give you? I was thinking of raising my car about 1/4 inch to avoid exactly the same thing happening to me.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
I would first check to see if rolling is actually needed. The fenders on the 05+ cars may actually be able to fit the 245 Z1s with no problems.
Originally Posted by ApexAssassin
Let me know how this turns out. I too plan to run 17x8.5in. wheels with 255/40R17 rubber. I'd love to find out if fender rolling is necessary, recommended or whatever for this setup.
Well, Dan at WheelDude and folks at GST said it would need rolling (or negative camber, but I do not want to mess with that as stated). I have been debating whether to buy and mount the set up first to see if I need rolling, but I am afraid to get stuck in a position where it rubs so much as damage the tire and/or make the car un-drivable.

Keep 'em coming guys!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by twhitey10
I 'rented' a roller from a guy named Arnold... I think he was from i-club. PM me if you want his cell number, I don't feel like I should post it for his security.

I think he charged me 50 bucks to use it for the weekend.
Thank you for the offer, but if I do go the DIY route, I already have a hook up for the rolling tool...plus I am a klutz and probably too impatient to do it properly myself
Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 2007 swp WRX wagon
i need to hear this stuff too. Are you doing you coil setup yourself? I wonder if we could get a hellaflush meet to help out some "new" members with coils, rolls, and pulls.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
I reant the tool for $20 a day and will roll all fenders for $120
Old 11-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by tanz1983
Thank you; I will include your offer in my consideration of everything.

Originally Posted by camwrx14
i need to hear this stuff too. Are you doing you coil setup yourself? I wonder if we could get a hellaflush meet to help out some "new" members with coils, rolls, and pulls.
Yeah, I will be adjusting the height myself and eventually installing a different set of camber/caster tops hopefully some time soon. But that's about it on my part, after that the car will be professionally aligned and corner balanced with me in it.

My only caution with the Hellaflush guys is that they have different intents and purposes for their suspension and body changes. My set up is meant for autocross and light track duty, while theirs is primarily for style [but I can be wrong]. My wheel and tire choice is different from what they run and I wanna make sure any required modifications are kept to the necessary minimum. No track or auto-x set up will ever require -3 camber, rolled and pulled fenders and stretched tires. Not saying anything bad about them [their cars look hella clean], but I just personally prefer advice from someone that has experience in modifying for the same intended purpose as me.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by tanz1983
excellent deal compared to shops who want $150 for just 2 fenders!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
My only caution with the Hellaflush guys is that they have different intents and purposes for their suspension and body changes. My set up is meant for autocross and light track duty, while theirs is primarily for style [but I can be wrong]. My wheel and tire choice is different from what they run and I wanna make sure any required modifications are kept to the necessary minimum. No track or auto-x set up will ever require -3 camber, rolled and pulled fenders and stretched tires. Not saying anything bad about them [their cars look hella clean], but I just personally prefer advice from someone that has experience in modifying for the same intended purpose as me.
i disagree. For autox our needs are basically the same. We just run wide tires with our wide wheels. I would personally go to MachIII and get my fenders pulled by Henry if I had the need (I pulled my fenders myself) as his work is awesome. FYI I run -3.5 degrees of camber, rolled and pulled fenders, but i run 295s . I also don't think you'll need to roll your fenders much if at all depending on your height

Quick Reply: Fender rolling recommendations and experiences