Fear the Traffic light camera NO MORE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by wrx ish
i only mentioned the red light cameras because that is what this thread is about. in actuallity i think there should be more law enforcement out on the roads. (cities, neighborhoods, hwys, etc). i don't think there are enough police officers out there right now.

and out of real arguments? that comment that i refered to imo was so out there and unrelated that it didn't deserve an actual reply

Fair enough. However, don't you find it paradoxical that you wish for more law enforcement out on the roads, yet you continue to break the law? (btw, I'm not picking on you for speeding, if that's what you do, because everyone does it. I'm just poking holes in your argument.)

And my other comment was not unrelated at all. If you are for red-light cameras, then, by the same logic, you should support the government preemptively placing videocameras in citizens' homes. Because in principle, there is very little difference between the two situations.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:15 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by riptide2
Fair enough. However, don't you find it paradoxical that you wish for more law enforcement out on the roads, yet you continue to break the law? (btw, I'm not picking on you for speeding, if that's what you do, because everyone does it. I'm just poking holes in your argument.)

And my other comment was not unrelated at all. If you are for red-light cameras, then, by the same logic, you should support the government preemptively placing videocameras in citizens' homes. Because in principle, there is very little difference between the two situations.
the reason i said it was unrelated because a red light camera is there to fine you doing something dangerous/illegal on a public city or county owned road.

the camera in your house is your private residence and would be an invasion of your privacy and a violation of your rights. two very different scenarios.

i am curious to your reasoning of how they are similar situations
Old 05-18-2004, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
i would have to agree with wrx ish on this issue, it has gotten to the point where some of us are habitual speeders ourselves and think that we are better drivers for whatever reason, but in fact we are increasing public danger every time we speed, whether we are, or are not better drivers, is not the question. As a result, i don't think its too out of line, or hypocritical to say that if we can't govern our own speed for whatever reason, then it would make sense that someone else would have to do it for us.

Both sides of the argument hopes for less traffic accidents i think, but one side argues against redlight cameras as a deterrent because of the increased profits for the people that build the cameras, and the resultant push by those companies to make it easier for those cameras to generate profit. Great point, even better point on the don't walk countdowns, those certainly do a better job than being freaked out about cameras and crap.

Thank you for saying there should be more enforcement and not denying that you speed, i don't think its hypocritical at all to ask for someone else to point out our mistakes for us when we can't see it. If you get enough tickets, you'll probably slow down, maybe a lot quickly than if you were left to your own methods of remembering to slow down.

I'm not necessarily for more cameras, but i think we at one point or another have wondered "where the hell is a cop when you need one?" or "that guy just ran that light and almost hit that car, where is the damn camera when you need it?" I know i ask that question all the time, and if the consequence of having those things implemented is that i get more tickets or lose my license, then so be it. If i can't learn to obey the rules, then i shouldn't be allowed to play.

Last edited by Seraph; 05-18-2004 at 06:32 PM. Reason: "less" traffic accidents, not more =P
Old 05-18-2004, 07:42 PM

the reason i said it was unrelated because a red light camera is there to fine you doing something dangerous/illegal on a public city or county owned road.

the camera in your house is your private residence and would be an invasion of your privacy and a violation of your rights. two very different scenarios.

i am curious to your reasoning of how they are similar situations

The fact that your house is your private residence is irrelevant. Just because your house is your private residence doesn't give you the right to conduct illegal activities there. If the government suspected that you're filming kiddie **** in your basement, the police would be over at your house faster than you could say "invasion of privacy".

Now, a videocamera in your house would be "there to fine you for doing something illegal" while on the territory of the USofA/State of California.

To Seraph: Yes, we all want less accidents. I actually know of a way to reduce the number of accidents dramatically: ban all private cars. Well, that wouldn't really sit too well with most people. Which means that most people feel there needs to be a balance between reducing accidents and transporting people efficiently from point A to point B. I suspect that the difference in your and mine opinion is where that point of balance needs to be.

And as far as speeding goes: if virtually everyone is breaking the law, could it possibly be that the law is wrong?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:38 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon

And as far as speeding goes: if virtually everyone is breaking the law, could it possibly be that the law is wrong?
Thats a definate possibility, but we have to take in to account the fact that there are lots of cars on the road with varying degrees of ability, its like the way ram works in a computer, no matter how fast your ram is, it will only run as fast as the slowest stick thats in there. I guess the speed limit should be revised a little if the majority of the cars on the road can now stop faster, turn/ avoid obstacles more safely, and can handle the road better.

But alas no matter how good the cars are, i'm not sure if the drivers have improved to the point where they can drive faster safely, not paying attention to the road is what i think keeps our speed limit and other laws unchanged.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
The pedestrian countdown sign is a boon to mankind, these red light camera don't work but they make money so the cops continue to use them. It's all about $ welcome to the bling bling era.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

I wish that they could increase the speed limit also, but like Seraph said, the drivers abilities also have to improve to raise the speed limit. I live in the bay area, and I almost get hit a couple of times a week. The people in this area are some of the worst drivers in the United States and anyone that lives here knows that. I would feel very unsafe if they raised the speed limit here.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by Littleboyblue
I wish that they could increase the speed limit also, but like Seraph said, the drivers abilities also have to improve to raise the speed limit. I live in the bay area, and I almost get hit a couple of times a week. The people in this area are some of the worst drivers in the United States and anyone that lives here knows that. I would feel very unsafe if they raised the speed limit here.
This I totally agree with, the problem is in the fact that 99% of the drivers out there (esp. in the bay area) Think they are the ONLY one on the road and, they never pay attention to isht....not to mention yakking on the Cell phone, putting on makeup, reading, and just plain non observant/tunnel vision. Driving is mostly governed by COMMON SENSE, and most of the people I see that are crappy drivers dont have any common sense, ever hear the saying "common sense isn't so common"? Well, its true....if people just simply payed attention to the road, instead of trying to multi-task while they are driving, alot of our traffic issues would be solved right there. Plus alot of ppl in this area have that "it wont happen to me" mentality, which is all wrong in every sense.

GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD DAMMIT!!!!

now I will admit, yea, I OCCATIONALLY do talk on the phone when I am driving, but mostly only if someone calls me.....and even then, I usually tell them I cant talk right now, because I am driving, and am off the phone in under 2 minutes, I dont yak for 20 minutes. Plus, I personally, simply just dont like talking on the phone in general, because I like to concentrate on whatever I happen to be doing at that time, with no distractions. Even when I talk to my GF on the phone, our conversations only last 5 minutes or less, I would rather talk to her in person anyway. My phone habits are similar to how I go "shopping"......short, sweet, and right to the point, then I am outta there, the details can be worked out later, when there is more time/less distractions.

my 2¢

-Ted
Old 05-21-2004, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

^^^^^
Preach It Brother!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:22 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
you shouldn't have any problems to begin with as long as you don't run red lights

oh and i think they should have those red light cameras at every intersection.

RLC are a joke, they are not used to curb people from running red lights. they are used to line the cities pockets