FBI is now investigating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, AIG

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by psoper
But in that model the incentive shifts purely to short term gains, because if your executives can pull a fast one and cash out while things are rosy- who cares what happens when the $h1t hits the fan? Take WaMu- 3 months ago their FAILING CEO got shown the door but with something like a 30 million golden parachute, and today JP Morgan bought my mortgage along with everything else on WM's books for the equivalent of about 1 cent on the dollar- who do you think is laughing all the way to the bank?

Paying in stock options should be a step in the right direction, but those options should be forced to be held, and again I'd say they need to be scaled in relation to the average worker as well.

In nearly every other civilized country on the planet- executive compensation ranges from 10-20 times average workers, in banana republics like Venezuela that ratio runs up to like 50 times but here in the US its nearly 500 times.

That is simply not sustainable.
That is called insider trading. And the ex-CEO of WaMu was bought out of his employment contract, paying him the ridiculous sum was the only way to show him the door. That is a product of bad management on behalf of the board.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by jewpac42
That is called insider trading.

And it happens on a grand scale every day, and apart from Martha Stewart getting her hand slapped and having to spend a few months in a resort prison- I don't hear much about any enforcement of insider trading restrictions whatsoever, especially since the big drive to deregulation we've had this last 10 years or so...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I don't agree, only because I hate the stock market. The stock market drives companies to cut corners, abuse workers, ship offshore... The stock market is why we are going to hurt in the future. It creates the corporate system, it's drives these corporations to be cut throat for that bottom end, every penny is become shareholder wealth.

Companies cut corners, risking safety, risking quality, risking nearly everything, just to make that stock go up.

People are stupid. People "invest" in the stock market cause they think they can make quick money and they lose, most people lose big time. Only the wealthiest people know the system, know how to manipulate the system, know the ins and outs. How are regular, stupid folks going to get themselves out of it or play against the big players? They can't, and that's one way the Rich get richer and the rest of us get poorer.

The corporate system is to blame, not Greenspan. Yes, he set everything up for cheap credit, but these mortgage companies didn't have to loan out the money... They were making so much already simply from the sheer quantity of home buyers, the quantity of loans... but that's not enough, they allowed people, the same, dumb, stupid people, to lie about their incomes, and they knew it, and they gave out loans like samples at costco...

To blame any one or few people doesn't cut it, it's the corporate structure to blame. and this is NOT capitalism, you know that Kevin, you know it's not. It's pure manipulation of capitalism, it's hiding behind the protections given to corporations, and it's greed. Greed...
It was too much of a Laissez Faire economy absent of regulations that should have been put in place by treasury secretary Paulson based on recomendations from the chief of the FRB. It was a lot of people taking advantage of a lack of regulation by the government and a lot of stupid people thinking that owning a home was the fast track to wealth and not bothering to read their loan documents and just signing them.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM

And it happens on a grand scale every day, and apart from Martha Stewart getting her hand slapped and having to spend a few months in a resort prison- I don't hear much about any enforcement of insider trading restrictions whatsoever, especially since the big drive to deregulation we've had this last 10 years or so...
Believe me, I know, the problem is that the government has their hands in the pockets of the major corporations.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I'm for open markets, but man, do people abuse them

Enron abused deregulated energy, and ****ed us in CA...

It's hard to want to believe that open markets will work when you have corporations time and time again abuse that freedom.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
actually i heard from two friends that thier co workers got caught

70k in fines for making 5k
Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 AM
9 to 5 mod

Believe me, I know, the problem is that the government has their hands in the pockets of the major corporations.
pocket pool?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I'm for open markets, but man, do people abuse them

Enron abused deregulated energy, and ****ed us in CA...

It's hard to want to believe that open markets will work when you have corporations time and time again abuse that freedom.
Look at the air travel insudtry right now too. Deregulated and turned to ****. Im all for capitalism, but the government needs to intervene a regulate certain industries to avoid another meltdown like we are experienceing now.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Look at the air travel insudtry right now too. Deregulated and turned to ****. Im all for capitalism, but the government needs to intervene a regulate certain industries to avoid another meltdown like we are experienceing now.
Exactly.

The government should really regulate and subsidize most farms and all public transportation: especially airlines.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
You cannot follow the tenants of both, regulation and laissez faire are mutually exclusive.
Yes my jew, you do know it all =p

My point is that in these new fancy economic times, ethics is all that holds businesses to playing by the established tenants of either paradigm. Since there seems to be a lack of ethics in modern business and an abundance of greed. The classical models of laissez faire & regulation need some updating to deal with such a factor.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 AM

Amen to that!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by R-Dub
Exactly.

The government should really regulate and subsidize most farms and all public transportation: especially airlines.
Regulating is one thing, you'll get argument from some corners about subsidizing them, but with a less insane national tax strategy and a productive economy, that should be possible, along with free health care and no reliance on foreign anything...

But especially with today's energy "crisis" public transportation and alternative sustainable energy development really should be national priorities for getting on a more positive economic direction.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Nuclear power is the future.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lboogie
Yes my jew, you do know it all =p

My point is that in these new fancy economic times, ethics is all that holds businesses to playing by the established tenants of either paradigm. Since there seems to be a lack of ethics in modern business and an abundance of greed. The classical models of laissez faire & regulation need some updating to deal with such a factor.
Laisseaz Faire is a free market economy absent of any regulation, so by regulating anything you no longer have a Laissez Faire economy.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
9 to 5 mod

Laisseaz Faire is a free market economy absent of any regulation, so by regulating anything you no longer have a Laissez Faire economy.
hands off means hands off

Quick Reply: FBI is now investigating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, AIG