FBI is now investigating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, AIG

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Yeah... Japan attacked us and we ****ing whooped their ***!
My point is we dont need WWIII and we dont need a period of economic depression lasting 10+ years.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Yeah... Japan attacked us and we ****ing whooped their ***!
In all seriousness, WWII is what revamped our industrial systems, gave people REAL jobs and got the work force motivated like never before. Cause we had a reason to fight, and fight we did.

Before that we didn't bother with Germany so much, and we were still in a poor situation economically in the early 40's. Good thing was the drought and other aspects of the depression were gone, but work was still hard to come by.

And lets not forget that consumerism was born in the 50's when the "boys" came home and landed jobs and got to buy awesome stuff like tupperware and toasters... homes, washers and driers... cars! all kinds of stuff.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:28 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
These companies were able to get away with such shenanigans because there wasn't legislation/rules to guard against this tidal wave of 'le fail'. I'd like to know what our govt is going to do now that its taking such a non laissez faire stance.

I feel like this $700 Billion is probably about half of what the real damage actually is. In the future there has to be some safeguard other than "trust us we know what we're doing" , to keep corporations from doing this crap all over again.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by jewpac42
It is only a capital loss if you sell for less than you paid. You cannot claim a capital loss because the value of your portfolio has decreased.
yes i know im doing that i did make some money though just a little too much
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lboogie
These companies were able to get away with such shenanigans because there wasn't legislation/rules to guard against this tidal wave of 'le fail'. I'd like to know what our govt is going to do now that its taking such a non laissez faire stance.

I feel like this $700 Billion is probably about half of what the real damage actually is. In the future there has to be some safeguard other than "trust us we know what we're doing" , to keep corporations from doing this crap all over again.
So do you want regulation or do you want Laissez Faire economy?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, shall I go on?
You think that if any of these guys died or left the company- (last I checked, Bill Gates is retired anyway) the companies would stop making the tons of money that they make?

Oracle isn't successful because Larry Ellison is pulling in gazillion dollars- Oracle is successful because armies of programmers and systems engineers are building up systems that drive thousands of other companies, Larry Ellison just happened to be the lucky guy who recognized a huge market opportunity and pooled the resources to provide solutions that have proven very popular- I'm not saying Ellison hasn't made significant contributions to the company either- just that I don't think he personally contributes actual value to the company commensurate with the level of his compensation.

And one reason that Oracle can afford the chairman's payouts is that they hire engineers in India to do a lot of the grunt work at pennies on the dollar compared to what their domestic counterparts might cost.

Pixar and Apple wouldn't be going very far if not for the thousands of employees that actually do the work that creates their products- True- Jobs inspires people to do better work and he does have a great talent for recognizing good ideas and all, but seriously, how much are any of these guys, at the personal level- really creating? 10 million is still a buttload of money people...

But my argument is the same with any of these guys, once you get past the few million per year level, you are not really earning it, instead you are riding on the work and trust of others to justify your income.

And especially if your company fails in the process of you running it, in those cases people clearly aren't doing anything to justify a gazillion dollar salary.

Last edited by psoper; 09-25-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
banned

So do you want regulation or do you want Laissez Faire economy?
It seems that the business models of the modern American economy may need a paradigm shift to follow the tenants of BOTH. Seems like we are becoming victims of common greed & lack of ethics amongst big business.
Also seems like the govt should get back to focusing on domestic issues rather than shadowy ragtag threats & the actions of remote sovereign nations.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM

They wont be filing for chapter 11, the whole point of the bailout is that the government is buying the bad paper ....blah blah blah.
You need to read up on AIG, all of it's dubious spin-offs and holding companies and the terms of the "loan" they got last week.

AIG has hundreds of shadow LLC's and offshoots, they make Enron look like a tidy nice little well-run company.

No way in hell are they going to pay this off with 11% interest in the current economy, even with this other 700 billion "bad paper" consolidation scheme, AIG is toast.

And so is this country - at least as we knew it as a leading world economic power.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by psoper
You think that if any of these guys died or left the company- (last I checked, Bill Gates is retired anyway) the companies would stop making the tons of money that they make?

Oracle isn't successful because Larry Ellison is pulling in gazillion dollars- Oracle is successful because armies of programmers and systems engineers are building up systems that drive thousands of other companies, Larry Ellison just happened to be the lucky guy who recognized a huge market opportunity and pooled the resources to provide solutions that have proven very popular- I'm not saying Ellison hasn't made significant contributions to the company either- just that I don't think he personally contributes actual value to the company commensurate with the level of his compensation.

And one reason that Oracle can afford the chairman's payouts is that they hire engineers in India to do a lot of the grunt work at pennies on the dollar compared to what their domestic counterparts might cost.

Pixar and Apple wouldn't be going very far if not for the thousands of employees that actually do the work that creates their products- True- Jobs inspires people to do better work and he does have a great talent for recognizing good ideas and all, but seriously, how much are any of these guys, at the personal level- really creating? 10 million is still a buttload of money people...

But my argument is the same with any of these guys, once you get past the few million per year level, you are not really earning it, instead you are riding on the work and trust of others to justify your income.

And especially if your company fails in the process of you running it, in those cases people clearly aren't doing anything to justify a gazillion dollar salary.
no you are 100% right if they left the companies they started the companies they set up the companies they ran the company would be fine

now would the company be where it is with out these people hell no
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
banned

You need to read up on AIG, all of it's dubious spin-offs and holding companies and the terms of the "loan" they got last week.

AIG has hundreds of shadow LLC's and offshoots, they make Enron look like a tidy nice little well-run company.

No way in hell are they going to pay this off with 11% interest in the current economy, even with this other 700 billion "bad paper" consolidation scheme, AIG is toast.

And so is this country - at least as we knew it as a leading world economic power.
Yeah, the heads of these entities are going to make the Enron scandal look as important as a Britney Spears meltdown.

Edit, look what I found on Wikipedia....recognize any names?
"On October 14, 2004 the New York State Office of Attorney General Eliot Spitzer announced that it had commenced a civil action against Marsh & McLennan Companies for steering clients to preferred insurers with whom the company maintained lucrative payoff agreements, and for soliciting rigged bids for insurance contracts from the insurers. The Attorney General announced in a release that two AIG executives pleaded guilty to criminal charges in connection with this illegal course of conduct. In early May 2005, AIG restated its financial position and issued a reduction in book value of USD $2.7 billion, a 3.3 percent reduction in net worth.

On February 9, 2006, AIG and the New York State Attorney General's office agreed to a settlement in which AIG would pay a fine of $1.6 billion.[49]

There is an ongoing fraud investigation that has been launched by the FBI after the collapse in stock price"

Last edited by Lboogie; 09-25-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added info from Wikipedia
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 AM

You obviously dont understand how large corporations work. These guys founded their companies, grew them from nothing to the power houses they are today and you dont think they are deserving of their compensation? They earned that putting in countless 18+ hour days over the last god knows how many years. They built their companies from scratch, they didnt wake up one morning with **** tons of capital and decide to just start a tech company that services the needs of just about every major corporation in the entire world.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lboogie
It seems that the business models of the modern American economy may need a paradigm shift to follow the tenants of BOTH. Seems like we are becoming victims of common greed & lack of ethics amongst big business.
Also seems like the govt should get back to focusing on domestic issues rather than shadowy ragtag threats & the actions of remote sovereign nations.
You cannot follow the tenants of both, regulation and laissez faire are mutually exclusive.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM

Please show me where I said it would be paid off. I never said that, in fact I said the opposite saveral times in this thread. I know about AIG, I work in the financial sector, I know whats going on. AIG will not stop doing business, at least not in the near future, the government did take a fairly large stock position as terms of the "loan" and thus has voting power among akin to any other stock holder.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM

And you trust they will sort it out and make things right?

Give me a break....
Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
no you are 100% right if they left the companies they started the companies they set up the companies they ran the company would be fine

now would the company be where it is with out these people hell no
They probably would be fine, but the fact is that without Larry Ellison something like 40% of the worlds corporations, both large and small, would need to look elsewhere for their business IT solutions. Does Larry Ellison program Oracle's software himself? No, but without him and his direction Oracle would be nothing.

Quick Reply: FBI is now investigating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, AIG