Favorite Japanese restaurant

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by xdeathwishx
and did about 6 months in Kanazawa.
first thing that came to mind after reading that was Bunko Kanazawa. sorry.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Like the old thread I started a while ago, I still want to try this place, REALLY badly!

From Anthony Bourdain's: No Reservations

Sabu in San Francisco

Video link from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixi6Msk_tM

Not the greatest quality video, but it's still decent... Anyone down for a meet there? I'm soooo down to drive all the way to SF from San Jose just for this place!

Here's another video of the chef working his magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAU-9w_Tw8

Last edited by brucelee; 10-15-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:20 AM

PS: The place mentioned above is a bit on the pricey side, so look to spend around $40-50 dollars per person just for sushi. I looked at the menu and calculated how much my dish would cost:

9 piece sashimi (chef's choice, assorted) = $23
2 piece Unagi = $6 (pretty decent in terms of price)
Tekka Maki = $8

That's a pretty decent meal since they have some pretty decent portions, at most I might add an order of fresh miso soup (with "mountain veggies, tofu, and wakame") for $4

All that together would be around $50 after tip with no beverage (total of $41, so you have room to get a soda and still be able to tip for $50). It's def not a place I'd go every day, but to try something new and fresh for a special occasion it's def worth a try.

In contrast, If you go to Ruth's Chris steakhouse you can easily spend $75 per person for a quality steak + side, and that's super typical even though Ruth's Chris offers the best steak I've ever had, HANDS DOWN... Something about a 16oz+ fillet mignon + baked potato that is out of this world gets me all hot and bothered, but even though it's the best (in my opinion) steak around (and I've been to some great steak houses), there's still something about trying something new like Sebo sushi in SF.

If anyone is down to try it out with me, I'm down!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Best place in San Jose I can reccommend is Yuki Sushi. I never knew about this place until there was a Groupon for it. Their sashimi is super fresh and they cut it very thick. Service is great. But you need to get there before 6pm on my nights or you will be waiting for a table for a while.

http://www.yukisushi.com/wghome.html
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
Best place in San Jose I can reccommend is Yuki Sushi. I never knew about this place until there was a Groupon for it. Their sashimi is super fresh and they cut it very thick. Service is great. But you need to get there before 6pm on my nights or you will be waiting for a table for a while.

http://www.yukisushi.com/wghome.html
I just studied their menu and looked through all their pics and that made me friggin HUNGRY! That place looks delicious, a nice Japanese-American fusion style, which although is not super traditional, it's still delicious (if not MORE)!

Their beef tar-tar appetizer (second item on their slideshow from their website) looks interesting... Some of their rolls look very interesting too, like the "cowboy" roll which has slices of raw beef on top instead of fish... I've never had anything like that before. That place is really close to my house, I'm def open to trying it out! Thanks for posting about it!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by brucelee
PS: The place mentioned above is a bit on the pricey side, so look to spend around $40-50 dollars per person just for sushi. I looked at the menu and calculated how much my dish would cost:

Tekka Maki = $8

That's a pretty decent meal since they have some pretty decent portions, at most I might add an order of fresh miso soup (with "mountain veggies, tofu, and wakame") for $4

All that together would be around $50 after tip with no beverage (total of $41, so you have room to get a soda and still be able to tip for $50). It's def not a place I'd go every day, but to try something new and fresh for a special occasion it's def worth a try.

In contrast, If you go to Ruth's Chris steakhouse you can easily spend $75 per person for a quality steak + side, and that's super typical even though Ruth's Chris offers the best steak I've ever had, HANDS DOWN... Something about a 16oz+ fillet mignon + baked potato that is out of this world gets me all hot and bothered, but even though it's the best (in my opinion) steak around (and I've been to some great steak houses), there's still something about trying something new like Sebo sushi in SF.

I'm down.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
if your in san mateo, try out sushi sam's. get their chef's choice 10 pc. nigiri special. It is freaking delicious. Their unagi temaki is also very good.

Last edited by XkrazyAsianX; 10-15-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Someone here mentioned Sakae in Burlingame which is awesome, but I dropped ALOT of money there in the past. Like, the most expensive meal I've ever had. it was worth it though...I learned alot about Japanese Cuisine, traditions, etiquitte etc...

Yume Sushi in Alameda is also on another level.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yume-restaurant-alameda

I would say on par with Sakae, Food Wise without the 8 bills tab.

My wife and I ate there a month ago. It is more expensive than most but for a once and a while experience it is eye opening. Its run by a Husband and Wife team who are very traditional. There are 8 seats at the bar. Its best to let the chef make whats best...let him choose. No tables, so they basically have two seating an evening. It's pretty well hidden so you have to know where to go (more info on yelp probably).

I've never been to Japan, but friends who have spent time there say that this place in on par with anything they've tried in Tokyo, etc.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
gonna try out sakae today, will let u guys know how it goes.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Originally Posted by brucelee

Tekka Maki = $8

I posted the link to Sebo in the beginning of the thread. lol

It is really good... though pricey, but definitely worth it for the quality of the sushi. I like that from the outside, the restaurant does not draw attention. They use word of mouth to get their name out.

If you want to pay my tab, I am more than welcome to go with you! I am a poor student right now.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I recently tried Sushi Ran in Sausalito. I had heard great things about it, so we finally gave it a shot with some friends from out of town. Its definitely more authentic and significantly fresher than most sushi places, but I was by no means blown away. I really need to try some of these places in SF.

-- Ed
Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
Hadaka Sushi in West Hollywood - google it. you'll thank me for it ;-)
Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hollandaze
? Santa Ramen - San Mateo
? Ramen Dojo - San Mateo (Santa's sister branch with a spicier take on ramen)
? Izakaya Mai - San Mateo
? Ringer Hut - San Jose (it's more like a Japanese diner...)
? Orenchi Ramen - Santa Clara
? Gochi Fusions (not entirely "Japanese", but a fusion) - Cupertino

I'm mostly an izakaya and ramen sort of person. Moreso ramen than anything else. I'd like to find a better place than Curry House for Japanese curry though.
If you want curry in SF, try Muracci's Japanese Curry & Grill. It's a small hole in the wall place in the financial district, gets crowded as hell, but it's pretty good.
________
Yamaha tw200

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Tani's kitchen in Daly City.. I've been eating here for years and still not sick of it.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Wingless WRX
In my opinion, Tomodachi would be the best in Hayward, CA

http://www.tomodachisushibistro.com/

Quick Reply: Favorite Japanese restaurant